Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in January 2011!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 157 Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy New Year!!! 

I thought I would steal the privilege of starting the thread for January for my own selfish reasons...anyone interested in posting a "Grain Free Resolution" for this month?  I'm not saying for the year...it's always hard to keep that up, but if we make something into a habit for a month, it's easier to stick with it in the long run...

So here's mine:  Put seaweed in every batch of kale.  That's it.  I think I can do it!

I'm going to a funeral for my brother-in-law at the end of the week.  He died of colon cancer at the age of 55.  It's going to be hard for me because I really loved him and I know that he could have lived longer had he eaten better. (Well, only God knows...)  No one would listen to me when I asked them to make him bone broth and to get him off the sugar.  In his final weeks, they were giving him Ensure to help him gain weight.  My goodness...I won't even comment on how that made me feel.

Anyway, think of me when I travel with my 2 month old and when I'm at the reception surrounded by family members who are digging their graves with their forks and spoons.

Edit to add:

Better yet, don't think of me...pray for my family to see that they can take their health into their own hands.  Let me be an example of just that and let me be compassionate and kind when the questions about my 'dangerous' diet arise.

(I have a good recipe to come.  In a time crunch now.)

#2 of 157 Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM

subbing!  I'm up for a 30 day challenge - November & December threw me off my game so I'm back now!!

I'm also getting more serious of rooting out all the gluten from my diet - pesky spice blends!! *shakes fist* 

My resolution:  I'm adopting ok stealing from my DS2's book - Eat a rainbow everyday rainbow1284.gif in terms of tracking my intake of fruits & veg for the day.

DH is on board with healthy eating (with grains though) and even better the kids seem to be gravitating to eating better as a concept, not actually yet embracing the idea since they are 4 & 2. I plan to win them over with the "Rainbow" idea and maybe making a board for our house to track ourselves and bribery may be involved... hello playmobil mischievous.gif.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#3 of 157 Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM

I need to get back on the wagon!!! It has been horrible since Thanksgiving. I am addicted to grains. I'm taking the 30 day challenge and to help me along I am giving up sugar a week at a time  I know, it's weak. But after 7 days if I know I can have a little tread I make it will help me get through.

I know I can feel better, I'm so bloated and I got sick right after Christmas. I haven't been sick since I went grain free in August.

Here's to feeling better!!champagne.gif

We create our own reality.
#4 of 157 Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Me too!!

Me and my DH have been primal for about a year now, so now I'm focusing on tweaking our diet so it is the healthiest possible.  I have autoimmune issues to heal from (MS) and he has some weight to lose yet (but doing well!)  We've recently started eating more seaweed (I like cutting up pieces of kelp in roasts and stir frys, and just eating raw or toasted dry kelp and dulse myself, YUM!) and getting our vitamins from food sources--Dr. Ron's Organ Delight and Pancreas (for me, for digestive enzymes) and Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil (not nearly as gross as I thought it would be!) and Butter Oil (much yuckier than I thought it would be, LOL.  Maybe its just the "butter pecan" flavor...).  Going well, so far!

Also, I have to remember to stay hydrated--whenever I forget to drink enough water, I find myself having trouble breathing.

#5 of 157 Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 AM

Here is to a new year and the first month going grain free.  What am I saying, I was mostly grain free for lots of last month, but that is when I realized that I feel really amazing without grains.  Oh but doesn it still count if I eat a little rice?  Dh is on board but he has a piece of toast on his way out to work in the morning.   Speaking of work, we would not be able to afford the increase of meat eating if it weren't for Dh's new job working on a grass fed organic beef farm.  He gets free meat in addition to the pay.

Thinking of a resolution...

#6 of 157 Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

He gets free meat in addition to the pay.

Thats hawt. 

All I get is free junk food lol.gif

I've started the 30DONN from Marksdailyapple(30days of no nonosense) rather than the Whole30. Its too restrictive considering what foods I have available. Instead, I'm cutting all grains(again. It was a bad month), kicking the coffee habit, getting rid of sugar(again...sigh) and something else...I think I'm reducing my dairy intake. The lack of coffee is going to my head.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#7 of 157 Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

I'm not usually good at keeping up with these threads, but since I finally caught it at the beginning I'm gonna try.

I'm commiting to grain free as well, I was doing really well for quite a while, then slowly they crept back in and then the holidays came....yuck. I feel like crap.

I'm cutting way way back on sugar as well, and will maybe give it up completely at some point, but one thing at a time.

#8 of 157 Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Happy New Year primal/paleo buddies! I am committing to really keeping up with my primal/paleo recipe blog this year. All of my recipes are entirely grain, legume, sweetener (artificial or natural), and white potato free.  Check it out if you get a chance -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

DH and I are on day 5 of the Whole 30 and feeling awesome. I love the challenge of a super strict month, and am excited to see how I feel without any dairy or booze. We both feel like we have already dropped a few of the pounds that we gained after going off the rails for the holidays, even in just these few short days. Also, I finally got a family member on board to try a primal diet for a month. So keep your fingers crossed that they feel as good as I did and want to continue with it. My brother has a myriad of physical ailments that I think could be dramatically improved if they give this way of eating a chance.

#9 of 157 Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Ok, so maybe I'll start after my birthday lol.gif I've had cheese the past two days, but I've stayed away from grains(except rice on monday...dh cooked and it was a casserole so I couldn't skip it) I've also had stevia in my teas. AND thats why I'm doing 30DONN and not Whole30. 

I haven't had coffee in 3 days. I actually feel pretty good. 

I think I will modify my 30DONN to include some dairy, and try to wean myself off stevia. And add nuts. Just some.

#10 of 157 Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Checking in... and so far pretty good at adding more veggies & fruits back into my diet.  It was scary to see how blank it was without them, but I think I just miss the variety that season is not able to offer.  Lots of green because of salads, but some red & orange too.  Yellow is stumping me right now as I'm not keen on bananas (too much sugar for me) and summer squash is not in season.  So any ideas of yellow fruits & veggies? 

Confession time: I have been eating grains - only 1 meal/day as I'm plowing my way through our leftovers for work lunches.  *damn you tasty jambalaya!*   

BUT I'm hoping to turn a corner tonight and be grain free the rest of the month.  I will check out Mark's 30DONN to see what is up with that program.  

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#11 of 157 Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

So any ideas of yellow fruits & veggies? 

We had yellow peppers tonight... Grapefruit is also in season. Star fruit and those little prickly-pear thingies?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#12 of 157 Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Hey!

I am here in my 3rd trimester! (This is my second primal pregnancy). My resolution is to keep up making bone broth based soups/stews and take my cod liver oil daily.

I made a version of this tonight and the kids loved it too! Paleo Morroccan Chicken Soup

http://cosmopolitanprimalgirl.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/paleo-moroccan-chicken-soup/ 

I added coconut milk and added some hot sauce to my bowl (since the kids can't take all that cayennne).

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#13 of 157 Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

So any ideas of yellow fruits & veggies? 

We had yellow peppers tonight... Grapefruit is also in season. Star fruit and those little prickly-pear thingies?

I'm on a red pepper kick, but blanked about yellow ones duh.gif  I'll have to check out star fruit next time I'm at the store, I've never had it before blush.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

Hey!

I am here in my 3rd trimester! (This is my second primal pregnancy). My resolution is to keep up making bone broth based soups/stews and take my cod liver oil daily.

I made a version of this tonight and the kids loved it too! Paleo Morroccan Chicken Soup

http://cosmopolitanprimalgirl.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/paleo-moroccan-chicken-soup/ 

I added coconut milk and added some hot sauce to my bowl (since the kids can't take all that cayennne).

Oh my goodness that looks and sounds heavenly!  I'm adding it to my stockpile of soup recipes!  mmmmm I love spicy too!

#14 of 157 Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM

_ktg_ : Its actually a challenge created by a forum member there named IniQuity. Its pretty much whatever you make of it, whatever your nonsense is.

#15 of 157 Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM

PS. I totally bombed my challenge so far biglaugh.gifI suuuuuuuuckkkkk!! 

No sugar: fail

no grains: had rice and oats...fail

no dairy: is that edam cheese and baybels over there?...fail

No coffee: WIN! 

hey, 1/4 isn't that bad...

#16 of 157 Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

newcastlemama:  I'm very interested in the whole paleo pregnancy thing.  I've noticed,(just from reading a few blogs), that women have trouble staying paleo while pregnant, especially in the first trimester (understandable).  What has your experience been?  Can you compare it to your non-paleo pregnancy?  

I've also been wondering about calcium.  When I was pregnant my midwife really stressed 4 servings a dairy/day.  

#17 of 157 Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Hi ladies, so glad I found this thread (again?)... I have been grain , sugar, and diary free since last February and going strong.  My new years resolution is to keep improving my intake of only healthy items.  Right now I have added eve primrose oil and cod liver oil to my diet.  I also need to really increase my water intake daily.  I can't wait for more recipes... I do get bored with my same old food.

not all who wander are lost
#18 of 157 Old 01-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Raven-sounds like you are doing great! Glad to have you around. Can you share what keeps you on track during stressful times and or special times like the holidays? I find that on a day to day basis I do ok, but as soon as I go out to dinner for a special occasion, I am tempted to have a treat and the slope is slippery, one treat leads to everyday.

I'm on day 3 of no grains and no sugar, I resisted temptation for both on my date with dh last night.

I am getting more and more annoyed by gearing people say, 'i follow a healthy diet, you know no red meat, low fat, no butter.' grrr. It takes all my willpower not to go off on my soap box. On new years eve I was offered proudly some fat free brownies. Yuck.

#19 of 157 Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM

My definition of paleo is no grains or dairy but I still eat peanut butter, ferments, vinegars, dark chocolate and all those technically non-paleo foods wink1.gif

My non-paleo first pregnancy went really well (I did the omni- Brewer diet and was active). I had all day sickness until 12 weeks. But, I had severe PPD after he was born.

My second pregnancy was vegan and I had a miscarriage and hemmorage at 13 weeks and was sick the whole time(I was also on antidepressants for PPD so who knows)

My 3rd and this (4th) pregnancy have been TF paleo. I stay gluten and dairy free until 16 weeks when the nausea ends. I just survive on whatever sounds good even if it is gf grains. I have had worse morning sickness my last 3 pregnancies with this one being the worst. I going to be working on my liver function before I get pregnant again to see if that helps.  I am more tired this pregnancy than the others but I think that is from having 2 other active kids and one of them has never really slept well so I need to rest more. Oh I did not have PPD after baby three and don't think I will have it after this baby either.

I do long simmered bone broths and greens (like kale/collards) for calcuim/minerals and I take prenatals. I only developed one cavity during my last (paleo) pregnancy and that was in a tooth that was mostly filling anyway so it was pretty weak. (I used to have lots of cavities before TF and targeted supps so I feel good about that). I eat by cravings and it works for me. I have been eating more carbs this pregnancy than my last...it feels like I need it so that means more root vegs and fruits when I want. My last pregnancy I craved tons of red meat and ate it but my ferritin was low so that amde sense.  I do aim for the 100 grams of protein a day (Brewer diet recommends) but I I eat that pretty effortlessly since I am a protein type. I eat gf grains very occasionally (like 2x a month) usually when we are out.

I would prefer to eat grains and dairy (and my family does BTW) but I have chronic Lyme's and they give me horrible inflammation at this point. I am pickier when I am pregnant and sometimes I just want some yogurt or cheese and it would be convienient but it is a no go. 

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post

newcastlemama:  I'm very interested in the whole paleo pregnancy thing.  I've noticed,(just from reading a few blogs), that women have trouble staying paleo while pregnant, especially in the first trimester (understandable).  What has your experience been?  Can you compare it to your non-paleo pregnancy?  

I've also been wondering about calcium.  When I was pregnant my midwife really stressed 4 servings a dairy/day.  

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#20 of 157 Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 PM

I know! People hear I eat healthy and they automatically figure I am a vegetarian. Then they look really confused when I eat some steak and well buttered vegs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy Kaby View Post

I am getting more and more annoyed by gearing people say, 'i follow a healthy diet, you know no red meat, low fat, no butter.' grrr. It takes all my willpower not to go off on my soap box. On new years eve I was offered proudly some fat free brownies. Yuck.

#21 of 157 Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 PM

What keeps me on track is my digestive system.  I have slowly over the coarse of 13 years eliminated diary (in 97), then gluten (in 2001).  Last Xmas, a year ago I was just so tired of feeling icky I had to make a change.  I came across the GAPS diet, which is grain, diary and sugar free... once I committed a short time to it it became clear that my body does soooo much better off of grain and sugar all together.   I just pay attention.  If I go 'off diet' I really feel it in my body and in my moods.... so I just tell myself no.

Actually, since I quit smoking 2 years ago it seems I have accessed a part of myself that can just be satisfied to say no.  I consider sugar like an addiction for me and 1 is too many and 1000 is never enough.  I know if I eat that one piece of cake, or let that one chocolate melt in my mouth... well it could get out of hand pretty quickly.  I find a very strict adherence to not cheating works in my favor.

#22 of 157 Old 01-08-2011, 06:08 AM

subbing.

currently working really hard on maintaining a paleo diet.

sugar free

grain free

small amounts of diary  seem to  be fine for me

trying to increase organ meats but having trouble with this.

reducing the alcohol (wine) in my diet too. and my only cheats area small bit of  dark chocolate and i have  maybe one meal every 2 weeks that is a full on cheat, like NYE i  drank  beer and ate a bagel.

i'm also working on building up to longer periods without food (intermittent fasting)

i used to graze a lot, now most nights i'm done eating by8 or 9 and  dont  eat  for at least 14 hours  and working to build it to 16-18 hours.

some nights though, like last night i was just hungry till 11pm so i  kept snacking, i am trying to listen to my  body and gently push it.

: feminist mama to DD 04/08
#23 of 157 Old 01-08-2011, 06:49 AM

Yellow veggie: I still find spaghetti squash. Fresh squeezed lemons, I like mine in sparkling water.

#24 of 157 Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xshy View Post

i'm also working on building up to longer periods without food (intermittent fasting)

i used to graze a lot, now most nights i'm done eating by8 or 9 and  dont  eat  for at least 14 hours  and working to build it to 16-18 hours.

some nights though, like last night i was just hungry till 11pm so i  kept snacking, i am trying to listen to my  body and gently push it.

Is there a reason you are trying to go longer periods without food?  I guess I really don't know that much about a paleo diet.  Just happened into it and is seems to be what I eat.  But is fasting a part of the diet?  or just something you feel is best for you?

I know in my research and experience it is not a great idea to go long periods with out eating... on purpose.  Like I might go 12 hours if I eat nothing after dinner and then sleep in, but this might happen once a month or less.

#25 of 157 Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 PM

The thing with IF is that if you feel like you're fasting, it's not the right time to do the fast. It should be more a matter of looking at the clock after you break the fast and going "Oh, I last ate 19 hours ago, interesting."

For me, going quasi-paleo/primal has seriously cut down on my snacking. If I eat a really big fatty meal (like a salad with a couple hardboiled eggs, a few oz of ground meat, half and avocado, and a few oz feta (see "quasi")) for dinner I can go to noon or even later before I start thinking about food for myself. Even though I'm making food for dd and am right there in the kitchen.

#26 of 157 Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Oh, I see.  I actually come from a place were I don't like to eat a huge meal, ever, and so need smaller ones more often.smile.gif

#27 of 157 Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 AM

I'm in! My cousin got me all excited about the Paleo diet; she says her sister went on it and looks amazing. I've done whole foods/low carb before but have never been grain free. Today's day 1.

How do those of you with small kids deal with managing their dietary needs with your own? I don't want them to go grain-free, and I'm worried it will be hard to resist pasta and rice when I make it for them. Tips?

So far today I had scrambled eggs and sliced avocado for breakfast, yum, along with tea (with some soy milk). I suppose I'll need to cut out caffeine and soy eventually but I'm leaving it alone for now, I don't want to do too much all at once.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#28 of 157 Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post

I'm in! My cousin got me all excited about the Paleo diet; she says her sister went on it and looks amazing. I've done whole foods/low carb before but have never been grain free. Today's day 1.

How do those of you with small kids deal with managing their dietary needs with your own? I don't want them to go grain-free, and I'm worried it will be hard to resist pasta and rice when I make it for them. Tips?

Make sure to eat enough. If you find yourself craving the pasta you're cooking for them, eat something. For me, it has really helped to have a sweet fruit on hand. Dates for instance. After a couple days, eating more than 4-5 was too much sweetness.
#29 of 157 Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 AM

I am considering doing something along these lines.

Problem is, I've been told it takes more than a couple weeks or a couple months or even a year to get results. I simply can't commit to going grain free for a year without having any positive feedback from my body in the meantime. If it took, say, 4 weeks - then I could commit to going 6 weeks and then seeing where I am. 6 weeks is, from past experience, the longest I can commit to something without results; if I don't have results in that time I just don't have the discipline (or the motivation or the logical common sense or something) to keep going.

The other problem is that I'm learning how to bake bread :) lol, so it makes me sad to consider setting aside a new skill I am gaining.

What are people's thoughts on brown rice?

Hm, the other problem I have is ethics and finances - in terms of meat. I am absolutely ethically opposed to buying factory meat. I won't do it. You may argue my health is better than that position (and I'm not so sure eating it would help my health anyway) but that's my position, I've held it for a long time, and I'm not changing it. I do eat pastured, local meat - but can afford it only rarely. So I'm thinking most people shift more of their calories onto meat, which sounds good, but I can't afford it. (Meat is maybe a monthly thing in my house, and we stretch it absolutely as far as we can).

Why am I considering something along the lines of grain free? I feel cruddy, and have for years. Recurring arthritis (no flareup right now, but I get periods of inflammation that last for a couple of months, and the last one lasted for a little over a YEAR). Oral inflammation as well. I'm holding on to extra weight - not gaining but just holding on to an extra 25 pounds for several years, including during a period of about 8 months where I tried really hard to drop that weight with weight lifting, running, and an attempt to get a handle on what I ate (I gained some strength but stayed stubbornly in the same size jeans and continued to have a fat belly along with fat thighs, hips and ass). I've completely stopped doing anything special to feel better for about 8 or 9 months but maybe I'm ready to try something new again.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#30 of 157 Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post

Make sure to eat enough. If you find yourself craving the pasta you're cooking for them, eat something. For me, it has really helped to have a sweet fruit on hand. Dates for instance. After a couple days, eating more than 4-5 was too much sweetness.

Ah, that sounds like a good tip, thanks! I think I need to make a run to the store to make sure I have enough stuff for me on hand. Nothing worse than being on a new diet, feeling hungry, and looking through the cupboards only to find that everything there is off-limits.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page