sauerkraut newbie question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I attempted sauerkraut for the first time according to the recipe for "Quick Kraut" in Full Moon Feast. Basically I put the ingredients in a quart jar and put a smaller jar with water on top which me and my ds have been pushing on at least once a day for a little over a week.

There are 1/8-1/4 inch spots of white fuzzy stuff growing on the surface of the liquid. Does that mean I should throw out the whole thing?

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

In Wild Fermentation, it says that sometimes mold appears on the surface of kraut but it's no big deal. Just skim off what you can - it's just a surface thing from contact with the air and the rest of the kraut is fine. smile.gif

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM

There is a thread about this on the Wild Fermentation forum that basically says if you make kraut in a ball jar go ahead and use the lid instead of a more open air method. Supposedly it creates an anaerobic environment and in the end the kraut will taste much better. I'll see if I can find the exact post...

A-ha found it.

The mold you have now can just be skimmed off and the kraut is fine, but in the future lids might be easier.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much and yay!

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

User Tag List