Is there a current TF pregnant mamas thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all,

Don't know if anyone visits this page much anymore (although I see a newcomer- Hi Moneca, nice to meet you!), but I wanted to put a question out there.  What compromises would you/have you made in order to keep the food budget in check? (I know this might be a really vague question!)  My DH and I are looking to tighten our budget a little more, in an effort to save a little more aggressively.  I already make most of my meals from scratch, and I've finally taken the plunge into making bread and hope to have success again at yogurt making, so I know that will provide some savings there.  The only thing left that I can see us doing now to trim the budget is starting to compromise on actual ingredients.  My hubby suggested things like going to the $.65 box of spaghetti instead of brown rice pasta, and going to regular butter instead of organic butter, getting regular bacon instead of nitrate-free bacon, etc.  A big part of me just wants to resist these things though, I think in part because I'm pregnant, and getting super paranoid or something.  We're still going to get big items like grass fed ground beef, eggs, the occasional chicken for chicken stock and milk from the farm. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 AM
JMJ

I'm still not pregnant but hoping for soon.  Johanna, the further up the food chain and higher fat you go, the more careful you need to be.  Depending on how much spaghetti you eat, that could be a fine compromise.  I wouldn't encourage you to eat a whole lot of spaghetti, though.  The butter and bacon, I would be especially careful about.  Toxins accumulate in fats, and animals accumulate toxins better than plants, so I would be concerned about the toxins in conventional butter and bacon, especially while pregnant.  If you don't eat much bacon, that might be OK, but if it's something you eat often, I'd really go for the higher quality.  Depending on where you get it from, if you get it directly from the farmer, you might be able to get larger packages of miscut bacon and bacon ends for cheaper.

Another great way to save is by buying bones for stock rather than whole chickens all the time.  My chicken farmer gives me bones for free, and my fishmonger sells me bones for 50 cents/lb.  This allows me to significantly decrease the amount of expensive meat I need to buy and add nutrients in all over the place.  I make a whole lot of soups, soak my whole grains and then cook in stock, etc.  If I boil my chicken bones for at least 24 hours, I assume that they have the same calcium content as milk, so you may be able to reduce the amount of milk you need.  Is there a local CSA for vegetables that will save you some money?  Can you buy more ingredients in bulk (some nutrients lost, but could save a lot of money)?  Can you buy fewer vegetables and other plants in organic (perhaps avoid the dirty dozen or buy them organic)?  If you need to make compromises, make them on the lower levels of the food chain.

Can you cut your budget someplace else?  I'm sure you've already done a lot of these.  Can you drive less and minimalize idling?  Can you ride your bike or walk on short errands and combine longer ones?  Would it be possible to be a one-car family?  Can you turn off lights and unplug unused appliances?  Can you sleep when it's dark and capitalize on natural lighting when you are awake?  Can you check out books, CD's and movies from the library instead of going out or renting them?  Can you make do with the clothes you have or shop at second hand stores?  Can you choose to do free things for fun?  Check out what is available in your community.  Can you reduce eating out?  Can you take shorter showers and wash your clothes on cold?  Can you grow some of your own food?  Can you reevaluate some of the things you think you need for the new baby?  Can you clean your house with cheap baking soda and vinegar instead of more expensive and more toxic cleaners?  Can you do without instead of replacing some things that break?  Can you hold a garage sale or otherwise sell stuff that you don't need to make your house more efficient while adding some extra funds? 

Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM

hi ladies!

checking in at almost 16 weeks! boy has my appetite returned... I have been a protein & fat eating machine!!! just had a nice bowl of parmesan ground beef that my husband made for me. perfect!

have been feeling the little one squirming here and there as well, so that is exciting!

I am definitely needing to be strict on sugar and carbs right now, as I ate poorly at a weekend away at my in--laws. 

Other than that, feeling pretty good, glad that I can handle onions and garlic and what not again :)

How is everyone feeling/eating this week??

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 PM

Subbing, I somehow missed this thread...

Question for you ladies, how much FCLO do you take?  After reading Amanda Rose's book I think I'm not taking enough, but I'm worried about taking too much.  I take 2 ml which is the dosage on the package, but I feel like I'm not getting enough.  I alternate the following supplements:

3-4 days a week:

3 tablets Dr. Ron's Best

3 tablets Organ Delight

3 tablets Dr. Ron's Cal/Mag

2 mL FCLO

the other days I take New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal.

I rather feel that the NCO prenatal works better for me than Doc's Best, but I'm worried about taking it with the cal mag, organ delight & FCLO.

I was fairly sick the first three months and didn't eat.  The last month and a half I've been eating well (much better than when I was pregnant the last time), though I could use to up my bone broth consumption.  I'm at 26 weeks.

We used to drink a lot of kombucha, but I stopped making it a few months before pregnancy and didn't start again until a few weeks ago.  Now I'm constantly craving it!

Johanna, we are on a fairly tight budget, though it's a lot less tight than it used to be (thanks be to God!), but I'm still very careful.  We eat meat only three or four (at best five, but that's fairly rare) times a week (that's meals, it's very rare to have meat more than once on any given day).  I make a roast on Sunday and use the left overs in two or three other meals during the week, the trick for me is to make sure there are plenty of sides with the Sunday roast (including some other protein like a lentil salad) so that a normal sized serving (3-6 oz) doesn't seem like deprivation and to put the left over meat into soups, stir fries or casseroles so that the meat really stretches.  I also buy a roast that is bigger than I need (like a 5 lb pork shoulder) and make several meals out of it for the freezer all on the same day, so use 2 lb for a roast and cut the rest up for stews and casseroles.  I try to never serve more than one pound of meat at a single meal (there are three of us).  I will sometimes add bacon to a meal if I feel I need more meat, but we don't eat bacon as a single serving of meat (so I might add bacon to a chowder or a pot of beans or into a quiche/frittata). Our bacon is not nitrate free, but it's pastured pork raised by a local farmer so I'm not too worried.  We get the bacon ends because they are almost two dollars cheaper per pound than getting them in a pretty package neatly sliced.  One of our "meat" meals is usually salmon, either fresh when in season or canned.  Though I don't know what I'm going to do now with the stuff going on in Japan.

Otherwise, we eat a lot of legumes + grains cooked in bone broth, bone broth based veggie soups, pastured eggs, and cheese (I get raw cheese at Costco, it does have added amato food coloring though).   I make kefir and yogurt with regular pasteurized milk.  I haven't added liver back in yet because the smell of it cooking bothers me still, but if you can tolerate it that's an extremely cheap meat protein.  It helps that we live in a relatively low cost of living area and I can get plenty of bones for almost dirt cheap.  I also bake my own bread and for a while made my own pasta.  We don't usually buy pasta, but when we do I just get the plain white pasta and try to add as much good stuff to the sauce as possible.  For butter I use regular (but hormone free) butter when I need to cook with it (which we don't do a lot since I cook with lard most of the time) and I get kerrygold for spreading on bread and veggies.

BTW, I may be a minority here but I actually found that a CSA did not save us money.  I do better getting some produce frozen (like kale), making sure to always have plenty of potatoes and onions on hand and getting the rest in season at the farmer's market.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi Everyone... I'm 20 weeks today, and I have been very bad about my eating habits. I hit a big slump a few weeks ago, and I haven't had the energy to keep up with everything. Like, instead of making my own bread, I've had to send my husband to the store to buy some, and he always gets white bread :(

Certain other areas of my life have calmed down, so I can get our eating back into shape. I have gotten lots of good ideas from you ladies already!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM

Hey, JMJ and ltlmrs-- thanks for the advice!  DH and I are grasping better how to lower our food/other budget without compromising too much.  We didn't factor in when we sat down to trim our food budget how paying off the rest of our debt at the beginning of the year was going to factor into the mix.  It's like we paid it off and then forgot about how we'd have that extra money each month! Additionally, we finally took the plunge and got rid of our cable. (but not our internet!)  DH even is on board for making steps toward starting to purchase our beef in bulk. (need to obtain a freezer first) So things are starting to look like they're headed in the right direction, budget-wise. 

I should really look at how to consume less meat (says the former vegetarian, ha!), which would probably help even more.  Beans seem to disagree with DH quite a bit, but I started using kidney beans again (I went through a period where I didn't like kidney beans too much, so have been using pinto beans for everything..), so we'll see.  Also, I am super excited that I've stuck with my bread making routine, and after discovering that yogurt freezes well and in the right amounts in ice cube trays for starters for making yogurt, I am even more motivated than ever to make our own yogurt full time. Of course, now that I'm in the third trimester, I'm starting to get just tired enough to be taking hour long naps several times a week so I hope I can keep the momentum going!  Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm 39 weeks..due any time now! I can't wait. Still pretty TF, but mostly Primal. I still don't eat much grains, for more than one reason. It keeps the heartburn away and the allergies! I normally have really bad allergies this time of year, and my allergies are almost non existent as long as I stay away from grain. My meals for the most part consist of:

Breakfast: eggs prepared many different ways, bacon sometimes, almond fllour pancakes or muffins, and fruit and yogurt

Lunch: big ol salad or a little sample plate of meat, veggies, fruit and fermented goods. My tummy can't handle to much food anymore

Dinner:meat, potatoes, veggies still. I can handle tomato products again, so when I make things like tacos or spaghetti, I just put mine over a baked potato or salad or something, instead of a tortilla or pasta. DH and DS even like it over potato instead. I'm very grateful I'm a part of a food co-op and pretty much have a constant supply of organic potatoes all the time. I'd love to do more grass fed raw cheese and sour cream, but I settle for tillamook cheddar and organic butter from Costco. It's a nice compromise in price for DH, who could care less. All the meat and eggs we get is organic and/or grass fed though, so I feel good about that. Dairy is more of a condiment in the meals I make more than a main course.

Last week I had a nice prenatal massage and beforehand DS and I went an got lunch. Apparently BJ's Brewhouse now has gluten free pizza on their menu, and I just couldn't resist trying it.  I ate most of it, while DS only had 2 slices and then immediately went and got a massage..how stupid of me, I had heardtburn throughout the whole massage. That's definitely going to be an occasional thing for now and even post partum. However, a pizza place just opened up down the road from my house( I live in the middle of nowhere) and they offer gluten free crust. That's going to be tempting postpartum when I'm too tired to cook!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Howdy mamas! I've been MIA from MDC for a bit here... figured I'd check in to the TF area and see what's up since I posted last.

I'm 23 weeks and feeling pretty good. I am having some trouble with my mouth though. I've had a mouth loaded with cavities and issues my entire life. However, for the last 6 or so yrs( since my 1st  serious food changes) I haven't seemed to present with any "new" issues. In other words, none of my small known cavities, affected gums or impacted wisdom teeth have given me any problems. Kids have been the only lucky recipients of the luxury of dental visits for cleanings and even THEY haven't been in 2 yrs.They are doing well but I'm concerned about a few little tiny grey sketchy spots I see on 2 of them on back surface areas. No health insurance, we pay cash so mom and dad tend to get left out.

I digress, pregnant seems to be equaling problem. I'm dealing with extra sensitivity in the gums and I can definatley tell where there are a few areas that need attention.It's making eating super unpleasant and gives me a bit of a headache. I'm sure it's extra blood flow etc. that's aggrivating everything but it's so discouraging. I want to have a healthy mouth! I have severe crowding which makes everything worse. Anyone had success with remineralization? I'm slightly beyond that with most of my issues BUT it can't hurt and I'd really like to focus on it with the kids.I've been having those awful dreams where my teeth start to crumble and fall out! Any suggestions/wisdom/success stories on remineralization??

In other news... I've never experienced such fantastic digestion during pregnancy like I am this time. This is my first totally TF pregnancy. Well, really I don't even know how to label what we're doing LOL I cook alot from NT... but we don't really eat grains other than soaked oats, sprouted wheat bread/wraps and the occasional sprouted spelt flour. We eat LOTS of good fat, grass fed meats, loads of pastured eggs, raw milk, whole fat yogurt and cheese,  veggies and fruit galore, ferments and very little sugar- rapadura if so or raw honey. I use lentils once a week-ish and if I ever use any other beans I soak and sprout them. I think that covers it all. So, not that it matters but what would one actually call that? I've been investigating the difference between primal, paleo, TF etc. and I'm still a bit confused winky.gif

I made some beet kvass for the first time since I thought it sounded like a GrrrrrEAT idea for pregnancy. Mmmmm, not so much. It's not fizzy and it's barely choke downable. I WANT to love this stuff. Maybe I didn't do it quite right. no fizz, yucky taste. Ginger ale came out AWESOME though and our kombucha is kick buns now that we've made several batches.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM

ltlmrs - Right now I'm taking 4 fermented CLO capsules, 2 high vitamin butter oil capsules, 2-3 organ delight, and a rainbow light perfect prenatal everyday. I also try to drink a quart of pregnancy tea blend (with nettles, rrl, alfalfa, peppermint, rosehips, etc) every day, plus some chloroxygen (maybe 7-10 drops depending on how much water I have!). I feel like it's a good amount of me, and my midwife thinks it's a great plan.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openpollination View Post

ltlmrs - Right now I'm taking 4 fermented CLO capsules, 2 high vitamin butter oil capsules, 2-3 organ delight, and a rainbow light perfect prenatal everyday. I also try to drink a quart of pregnancy tea blend (with nettles, rrl, alfalfa, peppermint, rosehips, etc) every day, plus some chloroxygen (maybe 7-10 drops depending on how much water I have!). I feel like it's a good amount of me, and my midwife thinks it's a great plan.

Thank you!  This is very helpful!

I actually e-mailed GP and they said that many of their pregnant customers take up to 1 teaspoon per day, I don't think I'll be upping my dosage that much, but I think I can safely double it.

The tea sounds wonderful too.

User Tag List