Is there a current TF pregnant mamas thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! I've been away way to long....life gets so busy with 4 littles:p 

I have missed all the encouragement and advice though on these forums!

So last year I suffered a miscarriage, which made me realize I wanted at least one more child. I was about 10 weeks along. So early enough, but a bit later than my other early miscarriages and I really felt it this last time. Good news- I am about 11 weeks( lost track) and doing well!

I have been eating TF, as usual, though giving in to forgetting to take supplements, a bit more sugar than one should eat, etc etc. I want to really reign in the cravings and focus on what is needed most now! I am still nursing a 13 month old. I normally don't give in to "bad" processed foods, only rarely do I eat a donut(like twice a year?!) But my temptation lies more in homemade goodies,lol. I have also learned not to eat loads of snacks at night while pregnant. I just choose usually tangerines and some sort of protein like cheese or nut butters or apples and the same. I usually have honey tea at night to help me wake up refreshed and sleep well.  I do coffee twice a day to keep me from needing a nap otherwise I become addicted to naps and with 4 kids I may or may not get one and I do not nap well, nor do I do well if I am used to having one and can't!

I have been making kefir again, and plan to start up with sauerkraut again too, as I crave ferments while pregnant. If I could learn how to make my own low/zero alcohol beer, I would probably suck it down! And I am not a drinker.

So let's start a thread where we can encourage one another to make the right daily choices:) Get ideas from one another, share the latest avoid lists from reputable sources, our love of raw foods and sushi, and have some fun!

So far today I ate my usual slow-cooked pan fried in coconut oil eggs with raw cheddar and arugula. Organic fair trade coffee and cream, and some chocolate raw milk.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#2 of 40 Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 AM

This sounds like a great idea!  Although I'm not pregnant yet (taking much longer than planned), but we are trying to eat as if I was. We are trying to add more organ meats into our diet and cut out eating out.  Easier said than done since we currently are staying with my parents and need time away!   This morning I had 2 pastured eggs scrambled and cooked in coconut oil.  I also had a large glass of raw milk, YUM! !yummy.gif

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#3 of 40 Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 AM

What kind of chocolate do you add to make your chocolate raw milk?  I'm craving chocolate milk so much right now!  I've mostly been filling the void with cocoa crack (equal parts coconut oil, cheapo chocolate powder, and honey- I add almonds and unsweetened coconut for texture).

I've also been on a big fried egg kick.  I eat them at least once a day.  I cook them in bacon grease.  Soooo good!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 40 Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

I actually really like this one powdered cold milk mix from Rapunzel! I get it from Azurestandard.com, as I am on a drop. I don't use it often. And it doesn't last long in our house either and it's not cheap!lol

I could probably eat fried eggs with cheese and coconut oil all day long, it is really the one thing I always crave when pregnant and if I don't eat them in the morning, I feel awful!

I have been wanting to make some sort of coconut/nut butter cocoa balls lately, maybe I will do that with the kids so I can have a quick snack handy!

#5 of 40 Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM

I'm in! I'm about 31 weeks with my second. Eating more TF this time than last, though I've had raw milk both pregnancies. I do try to drink less (ie 8oz at once instead of 16oz) just because of the carbs. I have been better with weight gain this pregnancy too. I gained 50lb last time and a lot was from carbs and sugar, so it wasn't necessary weight at all. So far, I'm at about 23lbs gained.

We could be more TF, but we are in the following ways: raw milk, pastured butter and eggs, sometimes grass fed beef, usually buy the sprouted bread from Costco, and I've been taking CLO more lately to help with psoriasis, and I know that is a huge benefit in pregnancy.

My midwife advised against CLO b/c of the vitamin A, and I just don't agree with her. She said that A from liver accumulates in your body.  Anyone else heard that? I am taking a tsp a day, maybe every other day and the issues I've heard with vitamin A is in the synthetic varieties of CLO. I take Blue Ice fermented CLO which is one of the few remaining natural CLOs.

I am a sucker also for homemade goodies!! My favorite is homemade chocolate milk too! (bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, pinch of sea salt, and stevia).  We eat very little processed foods, we mostly get it when we go out to eat.  I am also a sucker for Starbucks mochas, and I often get it breve (with half and half) to have a little less carbs.  But the sugar is still there. A good snack for me that gets my sweet tooth is a big spoonful of peanut butter covered in chocolate chips. So good.

My typical breakfast is two pastured eggs fried in a cast iron skillet (with pasture butter, I really don't care for the coconut oil flavor with eggs) and one slice of sprouted wheat toast with generous pastured butter. I keep the yolk nice and runny. drool.gif I get my butter from Azure Standard, and actually bought 4-5 boxes in the fall to last through winter (ie with the hope that the butter was from summer grass) and we have two boxes (of 8 blocks) left.

I love OJ, and so I have a small glass of that in the am. I need juice to take vitamins, but sometimes like more but try to keep the individual serving to 4oz.

I have 10lb of leaf lard in my freezer that I need to render.biggrinbounce.gif

I make my own raw milk yogurt. I also make kefir but haven't had any to drink in weeks! My grains need fed as well. I'd been working on my yogurt lately and that has been turning out fairly well. We don't have any other fermented foods much at all, so that is the one area of TF that we don't currently do.

I need to walk more...how is everyone else's activity level? I know us moms of 1+ are already active all day, but intentional heart-rate-raising walking is so beneficial for me. I also feel very weak muscularly, and feel that I need to do some strengthening exercises for labor. I am aiming for an HBAC.

What supplements are you all taking? For me:

Organ Delight (2 a day; 6 would equal 1oz of raw organ meat)

Folic Acid

Cell Salts

Whole Food Multi

Amla-C (natural more potent Vit C)

CLO when I remember

I took a liquid B complex and milk thistle faithfully the first trimester, and I had NO nausea.

Leilalu - you might want to be careful about powdered milk. That stuff is pretty toxic and no good. shake.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I would like to join this thread, too!  I'm 33 weeks, and trying to learn more about TF - so much info!  I've been doing CLO (3 Tbs a day - which is up from my usual 1 Tbs a day).  I've just learned how to make stock, , and we use good fats to cook with, other than that, I have alot to learn!

I did just use my swagbuck earnings and got the nourishing traditions cookbook from amazon!  It's so full of info, a bit overwhelming for sure!  I'll be glad to get more little tips here and there :)

I'm definitely having a sweet tooth, though most sweets I eat are very low in sugar compared to typical american sweets, and I'm finding that things like whipped cream or cheesecake bars or something are good since they fill you up with the protein and have relatively low sugar.  After diving into the NT cookbook (yes, of course I went to the dessert section first! LOL), I'm intrigued to go shopping for alternative sweeteners, I've never even heard of rapadura.

I'm also doing alot of nut butters with bread or fruit as a quick snack that packs a good punch of protein to keep me going!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#7 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Does anyone know much about folate and folic acid?  I know what is the recomended amount of folic acid but I'm trying to not take anything synthetic.  After reading Nina Plank Real Food For Mother And Baby she says that if you eat chicken you probably get enough folate.  I have heard interviews with her and I know that she takes folic acid as a supplement.  I keep hearing of the importance and just want to make sure I'm not depriving my body or my future baby of a very important nutrient.  We do use brewers yeast whenever we can but it's not super frequent (maybe1-3 times a week) and I don't always get the full serving.  1 full serving only has about 56% of the amount of folate that I need.  Any thoughts?

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#8 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I'm in! I'm about 31 weeks with my second. Eating more TF this time than last, though I've had raw milk both pregnancies. I do try to drink less (ie 8oz at once instead of 16oz) just because of the carbs. I have been better with weight gain this pregnancy too. I gained 50lb last time and a lot was from carbs and sugar, so it wasn't necessary weight at all. So far, I'm at about 23lbs gained.

We could be more TF, but we are in the following ways: raw milk, pastured butter and eggs, sometimes grass fed beef, usually buy the sprouted bread from Costco, and I've been taking CLO more lately to help with psoriasis, and I know that is a huge benefit in pregnancy.

My midwife advised against CLO b/c of the vitamin A, and I just don't agree with her. She said that A from liver accumulates in your body.  Anyone else heard that? I am taking a tsp a day, maybe every other day and the issues I've heard with vitamin A is in the synthetic varieties of CLO. I take Blue Ice fermented CLO which is one of the few remaining natural CLOs.

I am a sucker also for homemade goodies!! My favorite is homemade chocolate milk too! (bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, pinch of sea salt, and stevia).  We eat very little processed foods, we mostly get it when we go out to eat.  I am also a sucker for Starbucks mochas, and I often get it breve (with half and half) to have a little less carbs.  But the sugar is still there. A good snack for me that gets my sweet tooth is a big spoonful of peanut butter covered in chocolate chips. So good.

My typical breakfast is two pastured eggs fried in a cast iron skillet (with pasture butter, I really don't care for the coconut oil flavor with eggs) and one slice of sprouted wheat toast with generous pastured butter. I keep the yolk nice and runny. drool.gif I get my butter from Azure Standard, and actually bought 4-5 boxes in the fall to last through winter (ie with the hope that the butter was from summer grass) and we have two boxes (of 8 blocks) left.

I love OJ, and so I have a small glass of that in the am. I need juice to take vitamins, but sometimes like more but try to keep the individual serving to 4oz.

I have 10lb of leaf lard in my freezer that I need to render.biggrinbounce.gif

I make my own raw milk yogurt. I also make kefir but haven't had any to drink in weeks! My grains need fed as well. I'd been working on my yogurt lately and that has been turning out fairly well. We don't have any other fermented foods much at all, so that is the one area of TF that we don't currently do.

I need to walk more...how is everyone else's activity level? I know us moms of 1+ are already active all day, but intentional heart-rate-raising walking is so beneficial for me. I also feel very weak muscularly, and feel that I need to do some strengthening exercises for labor. I am aiming for an HBAC.

What supplements are you all taking? For me:

Organ Delight (2 a day; 6 would equal 1oz of raw organ meat)

Folic Acid

Cell Salts

Whole Food Multi

Amla-C (natural more potent Vit C)

CLO when I remember

I took a liquid B complex and milk thistle faithfully the first trimester, and I had NO nausea.

Leilalu - you might want to be careful about powdered milk. That stuff is pretty toxic and no good. shake.gif

ok, I am jealous about that leaf lard:) I need to find a local source but don't know where to look?

Sounds like you are doing pretty well!   I don't think the Rapunzel has powdered milk, I could be wrong...

We have been doing kefir here, I gave up on yogurt making for now and I occasionally make buttermilk or cream fraiche.

I know this sounds bad, but if I make my moka pot coffee twice a day, or even 3 times and just do less amounts, it helps stave the nausea. A tip I learned from my husbands aunt who is a nurse and said they sometimes recommend caffeine for patients who suffer from it. it is the only thing that got me through last time! Keep in mind, I rarely finish a cup and each one is equal to an Americano with one strong shot.

#9 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

I'm definitely having a sweet tooth, though most sweets I eat are very low in sugar compared to typical american sweets, and I'm finding that things like whipped cream or cheesecake bars or something are good since they fill you up with the protein and have relatively low sugar.  After diving into the NT cookbook (yes, of course I went to the dessert section first! LOL), I'm intrigued to go shopping for alternative sweeteners, I've never even heard of rapadura.

I'm also doing alot of nut butters with bread or fruit as a quick snack that packs a good punch of protein to keep me going!

Rapadura is just a very non-processed form of sugar. The "molasses" part stays intact instead of them adding it back after.  Non-processed sugars in small amounts are actually pretty nutrient rich. I remember sucking on sugar cane on trips to South Africa and in El Salvador we used it to recover from heat stroke.

#10 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Alternate sugars I've liked:

palm sugar - works fine in baking, love the smell, great in coffee; I'm currently out of this

date sugar - haven't used it a lot but it did work in baking, though bag advises against it

rapadura - worked well in Christmas cookies this year, haven't used it much otherwise

maple sugar - works well in coffee, very slight maple flavor comes through; more pricey per lb

maple syrup - I use this sometimes in iced coffee with some stevia. Since I like coffee sweet, if I used all maple syrup, the taste would come through

raw honey - great of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post

ok, I am jealous about that leaf lard:) I need to find a local source but don't know where to look?

Sounds like you are doing pretty well!   I don't think the Rapunzel has powdered milk, I could be wrong...

We have been doing kefir here, I gave up on yogurt making for now and I occasionally make buttermilk or cream fraiche.

I know this sounds bad, but if I make my moka pot coffee twice a day, or even 3 times and just do less amounts, it helps stave the nausea. A tip I learned from my husbands aunt who is a nurse and said they sometimes recommend caffeine for patients who suffer from it. it is the only thing that got me through last time! Keep in mind, I rarely finish a cup and each one is equal to an Americano with one strong shot.

Gotcha @ rapunzel. I think I immediately thought of other chocolate mixes that contained powdered milk in addition to the cocoa, sugar, etc. Good to know!

Have you heard of Thundering Hooves? They deliver to Seattle, not sure exactly where you are or if there is a drop near you. I buy leaf lard from them, I think it is $2/lb? It is not from "pastured" pigs, they are in a covered area but have a decent diet. They explain more on their website about the pigs used in their products. They also sell grass fed beef, some chickens, and more. They run sales a lot too.  Tons of selection and samplers."Pork Leaf Fat" is 4th from the bottom on this page: http://shop2.pageland.com/catalog.cfm?ItemsPerPage2=140&BasketID=vmAlhnaCMnXTDGX&StoreID=2&RefID=&CID=&search=pork. And this is about how the pigs are raised.

Sounds ok re: caffeine. It definitely could be worse winky.gif

Oh and I do make my own chicken stock half the time. I need to get some more bones for beef stock from thundering hooves.  I am a scrooge though and only use it on ourselves (actually, I am like that with a lot of our good foods, but not all).  I tend to use more conventional ingredients when having people over (we do hospitality a lot since my husband is a pastor, though not as much with pregnancy) if the quality item takes more time or money to obtain (ie making stock or yogurt, or buying good meat or eggs).

cocobean, I don't have an answer for you on the folate/folic acid, but here is a review from the WAPF of her book http://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/thumbs-down/1754-real-food-for-mother-and-baby.html

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

nice! I will have to see if there is a drop near me. We are on a drop for Dungeness Valley milk as it is.

I have been known to make vegetarians unknowingly eat stock at family gatherings. It's funny, people never question soup anymore because people are so used to pre-made stock mixes and using only water. It gives me way more joy than it should! lol!  I use stock in just about every soup I ever make(though again, no one ever thinks to ask!)- from curries, to beef stew. It's funny, I find with Asian soups if you mix several different meat flavors or seafood together they taste even better.

#12 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM

That is funny lol.

We get DVC milk too! So, so thankful for it.  I wish I could get cream from them but it's too complicated to add it to the drop.  Where do you get your eggs? I get mine from a guy near Puyallup. They are outside in a large pen all day. He does feed them some grain that I think is organic.  Yolks aren't quite as orange as the eggs my parents get in Salem but they're decent and a great price. I get about 10 doz at once, usually. We go through a dozen in 3 days most of the time.

I've had a headache all day, despite a long nap, not sure why.  I did a magnesium drink and had a high protein dinner tonight. 

What are everyone's birthing plans? How is your care provider's nutrition perspective compared to your perspective on foods? We're doing a homebirth and recently switched, so we've only had one appt with my new midwife, and I mentioned above her caution about CLO which I didn't agree with. But, that's ok.

#13 of 40 Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm twenty.... three? weeks pregnant. I think. :p

I've been doing "semi-TF", as I always do - ie, TF limited by time, budget, pickiness and just general badness! We do grass-fed meat (it's automatic in NZ, except for chicken, which I've started buying free-range; sometimes it's corn-fed, though); lots of fats, chicken stock, homemade bread (sometimes sourdough), the occasional sprouts... this and that. We can't do raw milk at the moment, sadly, and I don't really "do" organ meats; and yes, we eat way more sugar than we should. But we're not too bad.

That said, I've had a rough pregnancy! I did some semi-intensive nutrition for a month or so before conceiving, and tried to eat nutrient-dense food even when I was feeling sick - luckily, the nausea stage didn't last too long. But I've had major fatigue and dizziness that continues to this day; I fainted once in a supermarket, and have had more close calls than I can count (nothing like sitting down suddenly on the floor in a shopping mall to make you feel conspicuous!). I don't blame TF for the pregnancy - I don't see how it would be related - but it does kinda suck. I was hoping I'd sail through pregnancy in a haze of nutritious bliss. :p

I've been trying to eat eggs, usually for breakfast, and get as many servings of fish a week as possible (which isn't that many, actually, but I try!). I take fermented cod liver oil and butter oil, though not as much as I should - according to the WAPF site I should be taking 20+ a day! I also take a B vitamin, folic acid, iodine, vitamin C, iron (I'm a bit low on it), zinc (ditto), and the occasional cal/mag. I've been more vigilant than usual about avoiding MSG, though I have been a bit lax about vegetable oils - I've been craving Caesar salad and bought meat pies, both of which have tons of it; not to mention fish and chips!

As far as folate goes, I remember reading that dietary folate absorbs only half as well as folic acid; so if you want to go the natural-stuff-only route, you might need more than you think. I looked into it when I was TTC, but eventually decided to go with the folic acid just to be on the safe side. A friend of my SIL's recently found our her baby has spina bifida, because she was on anti-epilepsy meds that interfered with folic acid levels somehow. She knew about it and was on a double dose of folic acid, but it turned out she should have been on a dose twice as high as that. Anyway, it kind of highlighted the issue for me... and yes, pure anecdata, but it seems like taking a folic acid tablet is pretty easy, safe and worthwhile. You know?

Leilalu: Dude... you don't warn vegetarians about meat products in your food?? I'm sorry, but I find that really unethical! I get the impulse - there's a woman at our church who doesn't eat red meat, and I'm privately convinced a few good red steaks might do her health a world of good - but how would we feel if non-TFers dosed their soup with MSG and didn't tell us - knowing we were anti-it - or pretended their meat was free-range when it wasn't? People should be able to make their own ethical decisions about food, no matter how silly we think they are!

I had a funny experience at the church potluck yesterday, though - I'd made a lentil and brown rice casserole, and a woman asked if it was gluten-free. I hadn't deliberately made it GF, but on thinking about the ingredients, I realised it probably was. So I was listing "Um, it has onions, brown rice, lentils, garlic, chicken stock -" and when I said "chicken stock" she said "Oh", and looked disappointed and moved away. I didn't get it until my mum chimed in with "No no, it's real chicken stock" - she'd obviously been thinking of chicken stock powder, which has wheat in it. I used to use the stuff all the time - I guess my perspective has changed!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 40 Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean View Post

Does anyone know much about folate and folic acid?  I know what is the recomended amount of folic acid but I'm trying to not take anything synthetic.  After reading Nina Plank Real Food For Mother And Baby she says that if you eat chicken you probably get enough folate.  I have heard interviews with her and I know that she takes folic acid as a supplement.  I keep hearing of the importance and just want to make sure I'm not depriving my body or my future baby of a very important nutrient.  We do use brewers yeast whenever we can but it's not super frequent (maybe1-3 times a week) and I don't always get the full serving.  1 full serving only has about 56% of the amount of folate that I need.  Any thoughts?

Maybe Nina Plank meant chicken liver?  Chicken meat, itself, doesn't have significant folate, but chicken liver is a very nice source.

There are multivits out there with real folate, instead of folic acid, I *think* Garden of Life is one brand, Thorne definitely has real folate, and they've got lots of choices--prenatals, multivits, various B complexes.  Real folate has some advantages over folic acid for some people, and since Thorne is very affordable and sold lots of places online (and in some well-stocked healthfood stores, not mine though), I think for people choosing to take vit/min supps, it's a good choice.

Folate's important for your methylation cycle to run (along with B12--yay liver!) and in this modern world, we have a LOT of stresses on our methylation cycle.  That's how we get rid of many of the nasty chemicals that we encounter (BPA, many heavy metals, the weird, long-named petroleum based chemicals that are almost everywhere), and even trying to avoid them, well, I know I spent too many years not being careful to avoid them, and that's an extra burden, and our bodies will try to do some of the catch-up work if they can.

If you want to try just food sources, use nutritiondata.com and grab a handful of foods that you eat regularly--lentils and beans are good sources, liver is a GREAT source, leafy green stuff (most veggies really) are good sources as well.  And add up what you usually consume, and see how high you get.  I'm lurking here because this year we may TTC if I can get a few final health things sorted out, so I've been making my spreadsheet for folate, but I still think I'm going to take a B complex.

#15 of 40 Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Leilalu: Dude... you don't warn vegetarians about meat products in your food?? I'm sorry, but I find that really unethical! I get the impulse - there's a woman at our church who doesn't eat red meat, and I'm privately convinced a few good red steaks might do her health a world of good - but how would we feel if non-TFers dosed their soup with MSG and didn't tell us - knowing we were anti-it - or pretended their meat was free-range when it wasn't? People should be able to make their own ethical decisions about food, no matter how silly we think they are!

I totally understand this point. And in retrospect, maybe I should offer it up next time. It's just that I am so used to it myself I often don't think to mention it.Plus, my inlaws switch diets all the time, and my MIL cooks lamb and chicken on occasion though she claims to be vegetarian so I never really know with her, and she doesn't mind eating stock. It actually doesn't really even come to mind until after people have eaten and I realize I never even saw was the SIL ate( she's a veggie). I guess with so many people at dinner at once I never think of it until the wrong time,lol.  In a way I just feel so sad for people who are misguided in their early years, and years where they could possibly be conceiving. I know I had hard pregnancies when I was mostly vegetarian and I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that I had been raised on lots of good hearty foods so my body had at least something to pull from.

#16 of 40 Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
JMJ

I'm not pregnant yet, but we're planning a pregnancy.  I've heard different things about folate/folic acid.  I'd read different places that folic acid is absorbed better, and I'd read that folate is used more efficiently.  Both are true, but the thing that pushes me to go for folate and not folic acid is that folic acid will compete (and win) with your folate for absorption, so you'll actually absorb less folate if you're taking folic acid.  For more information, see this post.

As for folate from food, it's pretty easy to get.  Chicken liver is really high.  I also eat a lot of cooked collards, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, beets, etc (3-4 c or more of green vegetables/day).  I also have bean or lentil soup several times a week and focus on fruits that are reasonably high in folate (oranges, strawberries, etc) when I eat fruit.  By my estimates, I'm getting close to 1000 mcg folate/day, and I feel no need to take a folic acid supplement.  B12 is also important for preventing birth defects, but most TFers don't have much to worry about there.

#17 of 40 Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Hey mamas! Joining in ... we are newish converts to the ways of TF, former lacto ovo veggies, AND expecting another tribal addition in July! Howdy Leilalu , fancy us finding eachother here orngbiggrin.gif

I'm really having a moving experience with what is a huge revelation about food for me. Might sound silly but this way (TF) of understanding food has blown me away on several levels and came right on time. I have a feeling some of you might just know what I mean. Gooooood stuff.

So, now that I got THAT out *heh* I'm stoked about my first time making my own Kombucha!! Thrilled to be in a house that doesn't have 6 wheels so we can give it a shot. We've been drinking GT's for a few yrs so we're so stoked to be able to put our own spin on it and save save save!!

Tonight's dinner was soaked oat and spelt pancakes with fresh pairs sauted in butter and chicken sausage on the side YUM.

Totally looking forward to gaining what I know will be a wealth of knowledge from this thread joy.gif

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#18 of 40 Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

I made a delicious, lower carb hot chocolate this morning by using a 1/3 coconut milk (a whole can) and the rest milk, sweetening with liquid steva and using dark chocolate. A little less carb than using all milk and using sugar. I also always shake in some salt and a tsp or so of vanilla. YUM.

#19 of 40 Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Hey all! I'm due in August and thought I'd chime in on my hot chocolate recipe. Heat (raw) milk, add a spoonful of cocoa powder and a spoonful of rapadura and a spoonful of coconut oil. Add or reduce ingredients to your taste. You can also add cream for extra fat and richness.

I also get milk from Dungeness Valley Creamery (even used to be a drop point). Fun to see some locals!

Oh, quick tip for finding local pastured eggs-Craigslist.

cocobean likes this.
#20 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Milkimommi- that's awesome! I know I felt the same way when I started realizing the whole Tf thing. I was a veggie for years, and my first 2 pregnancies I was still sort of...but they were hard. My last 2 I was totally into Tf and they were soooo much easier.

ok, all of these cocoa recipes sound awesome! And similar to when we make ours, though I always make it slightly different depending on my mood:) We also have a bialetti cocoa maker so it really helps cut down on dirty pots that need scrubbing and makes a nice frothy top. I got a refurbished one on ebay for a good deal.

I have been getting boxes of steibers eggs from azurestandard.com when they have them or I remember, otherwise we get trader joes usually. I want chickens again once we are settled into our new house.

I have been really enjoying my food the past 4 days because all my morning sickness is gone:) It is such a relief and just in time because we move in a week and I have energy back as well!!!!!! I am currently loving my slow cooked eggs, sometimes with salami and cheese and lots of salt and lately with avocado and hollandaise sauce. Just got a grassfed beef share today too, so i am super excited!

#21 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM

29 weeks here, and mostly TF with a few vices here and there. For valentines day, I made chocolate cake with crappy canned frosting. Thinking I'm going to freeze the rest of it(had one slice last night) because if I don't, I'll keep eating it every day and get sick. It helps that this pregnancy has almost required me to eat very little grain, and HIGH protein. Even in the third trimester! I ate whatever I could in the first trimester, which I found did focus on eggs, milk, protein, and fruit. By the second trimester I was able to eat raw veggies again, and now I can eat whatever pretty much, but still have to limit my grains, and processed grains especially make me very bloated and get heartburn easily. Not a bad situation, I must admit! Oh, and I've found that the combination of cooked tomatoes and carbs(chebe bread, tortillas, even non grain sources) make me puke still. So strange! But I can eat corn tortilla chips and salsa. I don't get it. So yeah, my only vices are the corn tortilla chips(I get the organic ones from costco) and the occasional corn tortilla "sandwich" for when I'm feeling lazy. Because I'm gluten free as well, it makes eating out more of a challenge, so that's helping with avoiding bad foods.

This is my day typically:

Breakfast:

Eggs cooked in various ways, or a green smoothie with CO, raw honey and maybe a raw egg or 2, or whole milk yogurt with fruit

Lunch:

Leftovers or a big ol salad with veggies, eggs, meat, cheese, etc.

Dinner:

Some kind of meat, potato(hubby needs those starches!), salad or other vegetable.

I still can't handle things like chili, spaghetti or homemade pizza, even with properly prepared grains, so that's eliminated alot of our go to meals that we liked pre-pregnancy. I'm thinking about making spaghetti squash tonight and toss in some roasted tomatoes that I freezed last week, and serving it with italian sausage. I think since there's no grain or processed carbs, the tomatoes wont bother me. I think I even have some fresh basil! This way of eating DH doesn't love, but he's type 1 diabetic, so he's definitely benefiting from it! I did buy him some organic sourdough bread and the sprouted bread from costco..This is a long cry from when I first met him and he lived on white bread, meat, ramen, and fast food. I have tried not to deprive him too much from his precious carbs, and include a potato, organic corn, beans or other non grain carby side dish so he feels satisfied with the meal even if it's not something he'd chose to eat! Meanwhile, DS and I will feast on crunchy kale chips(DH says, yuck! lol)

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#22 of 40 Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM

What a great thread!

I am expecting #5 and trying to eat as many whole foods/ Nourishing traditions methods as possible. I started making kefir earlier this month and my body has been craving kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut and yogurt like crazy the past 6 weeks or so (since hitting the second trimester. Last pregnancy, I couldn't stand the smell or taste of kombucha until the very end. So my body wants fermented foods this time around.

We have our own backyard chicken flock and some great orange-yolk eggs form them -- yum. I need to eat more than I do.

We go through 6 gallons of raw milk a week and I think it will be more now that we are making so much kefir.

:)

#23 of 40 Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM

hi ladies! glad to see this thread. I haven't been on this forum in a while, have been on "couch rest" for first trimester bleeding. I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks in October, and will be approaching 10 weeks again this weekend. pretty nervous! I have been eating pretty well, pretty low carb, lots of eggs and beef.  my mom hasw been here the past few weeks to help out so a little bit of processed food has snuck in, but I am just grateful for her help.

and now.... I am going to have some almond -chocolate milk. sounds perfect, thanks for the inspirations. this thread is so cozy lol :)

#24 of 40 Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Let us know how things go! I am just curious, is your diet any different now than in October? I'm glad you're getting nourishing foods and I hope your pregnancy will be sustained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_stranger View Post

hi ladies! glad to see this thread. I haven't been on this forum in a while, have been on "couch rest" for first trimester bleeding. I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks in October, and will be approaching 10 weeks again this weekend. pretty nervous! I have been eating pretty well, pretty low carb, lots of eggs and beef.  my mom hasw been here the past few weeks to help out so a little bit of processed food has snuck in, but I am just grateful for her help.

and now.... I am going to have some almond -chocolate milk. sounds perfect, thanks for the inspirations. this thread is so cozy lol :)

Wow @ 6 gallons, RawMilkMama!  Do you drink your kefir plain? I always need to put a little OJ in it. I am jealous of my dad's kefi, it is really creamy and not at all grainy. I have let my grains sit too long in the fridge, I better go feed them. I make yogurt too.

#25 of 40 Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM

RawMilkMama- I can totally see that... we have the same number in our fam and we could easily consume that amount too! Budget allows us roughly 2-3 gallons a week at this point. Also, I've been TOTALLY CRAVING kraut, kefir and kombucha too!!! I'm pretty sure we're not alone on that. I feel like someone else in this tribe mentioned not being able to get enough recently. I'm too lazy to go look LOL!

Speaking of Kombucha... We just finished our first batch!!! It was a small one, we were able to do 5 GT's bottles worth with what we brewed and we doubled the batch this round. We made a few different flavors. So far we drank a banana/ginger and peach ginger YUM!!

Bella_Stranger- hugs mama!! Your energy is so wonderful and positive. Sending super mama energy to you for your 10 week mark AND the rest of your lovely time being pregnant. Every moment is so precious and should be enjoyed, even when it seems a little sketchy. I'm pregnant with my rainbow babe 2 yrs after my son was born still at full term - also in October.

I'm finding that I'm ravenous. I actually got sick really randomly this morning because I slept in too long and woke up STARVING!! I drank a half glass of milk while waiting for my eggs to cook and... forget it. In the bathroom and down the toilet. Once I ate I was all set. It seems like I need to eat all.day.long. I'm literally hungry every 2 hours or less. If I wait at all past the point, I'm in trouble and feeling the queeze. It's actually encouraging though that I'm hungry like this because I feel like my body is actually USING the food that I''m feeding it for the first time in all my pregnancies. I've never had this experience before.

I posted a TF thread in my ddc but it's not really taking off so I'm gonna go ahead and repeat a question I asked over there. Lunch ideas!!! Please share some lunch ideas with me!! This is the meal I struggle with. We rarely have left overs since our crew is so large. I've been roasting up a chicken to use the meat through the week for quesadillas on sprouted tortillas,sammies and salads. We've done some other random stuff too but I'm lacking ideas.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#26 of 40 Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Hi y'all! New to MDC, and glad I found this thread!  Definitely need to keep my TF motivation up throughout the remainder of this pregnancy.  I'll be 21wks tomorrow (pregnant with my first) and I have been loving 2nd trimester, mostly because the nausea and tiredness is a thing of the past and I have much more motivation to keep up with as much TF methods as I can.  I'm loving my raw milk, pastured eggs (every.single.morning. my DH makes fun of me for my egg obsession), chicken (and stock for soups, rice, etc.) grassfed beef, FCLO...the two biggest areas that I stuggle with is adding more fermented stuff into my diet (just obtained some kefir grains from my farmer's wife, and haphazardly make yogurt...or buy it...) and properly preparing my grains.  Ugh! I really wish I could get over my fear of making bread, because I know the store bought stuff is just not cutting it.  Baby steps it is, I guess!

I too, am interested in hearing some more lunch ideas too...that's my weakest meal.

#27 of 40 Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM

hi again! how is everyone been feeling/eating this week?

my nausea has been pretty strong this week, but today's lunch was delicious.  One slice of grilled sourdough rye, english butter, goat cheese & smoked ham.

kind of want to go make another one, but have to go easy on the bread! so delicious. I love how goat cheese has a kind of peppery tang to it....

#28 of 40 Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all! Sorry I have been MIA. We just moved and we are doing a slow move so I just got my computer set up in a good spot and everything:) I am having fun reading up on what I missed.

I finally saw the doctor. I need to schedule an official ultrasound, but I had a quick one with the doctor and I at least saw the baby! We had to to find the heartbeat, but it turns out my placenta is anterior so go figure.I will find out soon what my exact due date it. I felt a bit like a goof because with the move my brain feels scrambled and I couldn't remember when I conceived! Oops!

Except for my sons party this weekend, we have not been doing much sugar, and just trying to get life back to somewhat normal. I have been eating ok, though with catching colds, not as "gourmet" as I would like. Basic basic stuff. 

Usually around the 4-5 month my milk gets down to about nada and I think I may be getting there somewhat now:( I am still nursing, my youngest is 14 months. I want to start supplementing the weston price raw milk formula, just to make sure he gets enough as he's pretty chubby and I'd hate to see him thin out on my account. Has anyone ever done this with a 14 month old? I am wondering if all the ingredients are needed.

#29 of 40 Old 03-14-2011, 02:44 PM

I haven't, though I'm very curious what the formula it tastes like :). 

I'm 36 weeks today.  We have our home visit this week with the midwives and they'll bring our tub then too which we're renting.

I have 10lb of leaf lard that needs rendered soon. I just need to take the time to cut it up. Anyone do it in the crockpot? My mom was mentioning that.

I've been loving kefir lately (milk). I put a couple tablespoons of OJ in it and a drop or two of stevia. I haven't typically had it to drink regularly but know I should, so I'm working on having a small glass every day the rest of the pregnancy for good bacteria presence since I've declined GBS testing.

I've also been loving a glass of half coconut water and half OJ. So refreshing. Before that I was craving OJ at night, a lot and so this way, I have half as much which I'm happier about.

#30 of 40 Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM

Leilalu - I'm glad you started this thread. I only come to MDC a couple times a year, but was excited that I saw a name I knew on the TF board. We're hoping to ttc this summer since I'm still mildly detoxing, so I'm not here yet. I still remember the old c-section wound you healed with raw butter, EVCO,  lime juice, and raw honey! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page