how long will my fresh raw milk/cream last? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am about to get some fresh from the farm raw milk and I am wondering how long it will keep in the fridge.  Does cream keep any longer than whole milk?

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 PM

good question.

lurk.gif

Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM

I keep mine in the back of the fridge (where it is super cold) for up to 10 days. If it is in the front where its getting temperature flux constantly, 5 days. Honestly, it has a hard time lasting that long anyway.

I havent made cream yet :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM

really, that is kind if a bummer, since i can only pick it up every two weeks.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 PM

We get ours every two weeks and it last that long and longer.  The oldest I've ever had is three weeks and it still tasted fine and didn't smell funny at all.  Even if you have some that has turned it's not going to hurt you it has just stopped being what it was originally.  But my guess is it probably depends on how your farmer milks the cow and stores their milk.

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM

In my experience, 8 days from opening is about as long as I've had it last before smelling funny and I hate milk enough without it smelling funny so I use it before the 8 day mark ;)

Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM

We pick our milk up every two weeks and it lasts longer than that for us, as long as it's unopened. Ours comes in glass 1/2 gallon jars and we only open one at a time.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Our milk usually keeps at least 8 - 9 days (but we usually use it up by then, so we aren't trying to keep it longer than that).  We get about 2-3 gallons each week, in glass jars.  I put it in the coldest part of the fridge, and open one jar at a time.  The last jar is just as good as the first.  If you can only pick up every two weeks, you might consider getting extra and freezing it, or getting it almost to freezing temperature so it will keep longer.  Definitely put it in more containers so that you have to open it less frequently, and keep it in the coldest part of your fridge.  Also, if it starts to sour before you run out, you can still use it for baking, smoothies, etc., where you won't notice the sour taste as much.   Make sure you are getting the freshest milk you can, and that your farmer is chilling it down as rapidly as possible.  That will help your milk stay fresh longer in your own fridge.  Also, being super clean contributes to longer shelf life. 

IME, cream does not last any longer than milk.  

User Tag List