Sprouted grains vs. soaked (in buttermilk) and wheat bran questions.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just bought a VitaMix!!!  I am super super excited about it.  I also got the dry blender that goes with the base, so I can grind my own flour.  My biggest question:

Is it better nutritionally to buy Ezikiel sprouted grain bread or to grind my own wheat berries and soak my flour overnight in buttermilk? I am pretty darn new at TF (I don't even know if you could say we are TF, but heading that way....)

I know I can not grind sprouted grains in my dry blender.

Also, I was reading a TF blog and there was something on there about wheat bran causing breakdown of teeth?  If that is true, what to do about grains?

Thanks!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you were going to buy a bread, the Ezekiel bread is a great option.  Grinding and soaking your flour is also a great option, and you can actually grind sprouted flour.  You sprout the wheat berries and then dry them in the oven before you grind them.  Sprouted flour will work well for most baking, but not sourdough bread.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Can I grind my sprouted grains and then soak that in buttermilk overnight?  I do love sourdough, but it seems like a lot of work.

Thanks

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There wouldn't be a need.  We soak grains to overcome enzyme inhibitors and break down phytic acid so that we can absorb the nutrients that are there.  We grind flour ourselves because it loses nutrients quickly once it's ground.  Sprouting grains does everything soaking does as well as increasing micronutrient content.  It's a lot of work to sprout wheat, but if you can, it would be best to use sprouted grains for everything except sourdough.  Sourdough isn't much more difficult than yeast bread, IME.

User Tag List