How bad do you think Spark is? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am posting this here because in a perfect world we would follow a traditional foods diet. But there are parts that I just can't motivate myself to do currently. So I like to say I have a tradition foods "mindset" and am working towards the lifestyle. :)

Anyway- the gym that I work out swears by Spark (it's an energy drink, so of course I was initially turned off by it). But someone explained to me that it's basically just vitamins and about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. (I know some people are anti-caffeine but the caffeine doesn't bother me, personally). I know the vitamins don't come from the most natural source, so that's probably not good. But I tried it one morning before I worked out and it gave me great energy (not crazy energy where you're shaking or anything), but just good energy to give my workout a little boost. And I didn't "crash" or anything later in the day.

So I guess my question is... how BAD do you think it is? I know it's not a traditional food, but I just want a traditional food perspective on it. Here is the link for more information: http://www.advocare.com/products/active/A2094.aspx

Let me know your thoughts! :)

#2 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM

The link has a "key ingredient" list but not a full one. I would want to know what kind of fillers and additives are also mixed in with the caffeine & b-vitamins and such...Personally, I wouldn't look to a supplement if my energy was low, I would look to making changes in diet, getting more exercise and enough sleep, etc. And you seem to have stumbled across this because of good advertising (gym promoting it), not because your energy has become such a concern that you are seeking out solutions, kwim? Why fix what wasn't broken? So my gut feeling would be skeptical until proven otherwise.

raising my two sunshine children.

#3 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM

I don't think we should try to seek out caffeine.  It contributes to adrenal fatigue, which may not affect you now, but somewhere down the line it will begin to drag you down.  Here's an article on Natural News.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yes- I totally agree. I have struggled with low energy for as long as I can remember (even as a child). I do eat mostly healthy, "real" organic foods, I just haven't yet gotten into the fermented foods, raw milk etc. I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night (I have always needed my sleep, otherwise the energy levels drop even more). I even cut out caffeine completely while pregnant and nursing (the past 2 years) but it didn't change anything so I've slowly started adding it back in. Do you have any other ideas for help with energy? I realize it could be a mild depression since I've had it all my life and I've been looking into some diets that might help with that. I need to get back into taking my FCLO as I know that could help, but any other ideas are greatly appreciated! :) 

It's like, I know Spark is not the best, but I just needed to be reminded why. :) Ha- thanks! :)

#5 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If the energy's been an issue for a long time, I really would check out the adrenal link above (or just google it or check out the threads in Health & Healing), but I'm also totally willing to use supplements.  They've helped me enormously in the past few years, I'm functional again, and tapering down the amounts I need.  Consider a good quality B complex, I like Thorne brand because it has real folate instead of folic acid (that matters for some people), sold tons of places online affordably.  Or you could try liver, I can't handle beef liver cooked, but swallowing it partially frozen and raw is a lot easier.  eyesroll.gif  Strange but true. 

And if you look at food stuff, consider food intolerances, stuff like gluten (or dairy, or both). 

So I guess all that said--I'd look to a different solution, and while I'm not opposed to supplements, I'd bump up the quality level, and start looking for underlying causes. 

#6 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Great... thank you for the suggestions!

#7 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

This is off-the-main-topic, but it is in response to your comments regarding your energy levels:

Casey44, how is your sleep?  Do you have nighttime waking, excessive snoring, muscle jerks, or daytime sleepiness?  Your posts made me think to suggest a sleep study evaluation.  There are many types of sleep disorders.  Another cause of fatigue is low blood pressure or significant variability in blood pressure.  Do you get dizzy when you stand still for long periods of time?  Do you have trouble regulating your body temperature (particularly in the middle of summer or the depths of winter)?  Do you feel dizzy or weak after eating big meals or when you wake up in the morning?  Does exercise fatigue you more than the average person?  Do you ever feel like your heart is racing for no good reason?  If you answered yes to any of these questions, it would be wise to discuss it with your physician.  If none of my questions resonate with your experience, then just ignore my off-the-main-topic post.  orngbiggrin.gif

#8 of 9 Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. As far as the sleep goes- not at all. I sleep great and never wake up (unless my husband is snoring!) :)

As far as the other questions- I do think the body temperature could an issue. I am almost always hot- other people are freezing in a restaurant or something and I'm as toasty as can be. (I'm not overweight or anything). I have actually had a history of high blood pressure though. I have always wondered about my blood sugar... I get extremely moody/grumpy when I am the slightest bit hungry and someone told me this could be related to my blood sugars levels? Could any of this be related and if so, is there anything I can do about it? I had suggested it to a doctor several years ago but they kind of blew me off.

#9 of 9 Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 AM

Body temperature regulation can be a sign of thyroid issues.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page