TF 'Candy?' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey I'm looking for ideas for sweets that are TF, gluten, corn & soy free. It doesn't have to be 'candy', but it'd be pretty cool if I could figure out how to make mini-bars of some sort for car travel. They can't look too healthy, or weird (DS, 9, is picky about that). I also don't want anything with actual sugar in it, honey, etc. is fine. It doesn't have to be super-sweet, I'm looking to replace our treats with healthier, TF stuff :)

Easily transportable is a plus; non-messy is always good, too, but neither is a must. So hit me with your best!

:D

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 13 Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM

http://mutritiousnuffins.blogspot.com/2011/02/nourishing-protein-bars-again.html

http://www.joyfulabode.com/category/recipes/dessert-recipes/

HTHs :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#3 of 13 Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM

i have an awesome cashew butter fudge recipe that can of course be made with any nut or seed butter (peanut butter to sunflower seed butter)

the ingredients are:

cashew butter, milk, cream, butter, salt, evap. cane juice (or any dry sweetener)

if you are interested, i will post the recipe.

#4 of 13 Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Please do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post

i have an awesome cashew butter fudge recipe that can of course be made with any nut or seed butter (peanut butter to sunflower seed butter)

the ingredients are:

cashew butter, milk, cream, butter, salt, evap. cane juice (or any dry sweetener)

if you are interested, i will post the recipe.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#5 of 13 Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Ditto!!!! That sounds amazing

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#6 of 13 Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 PM

here is a link to the recipe:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/35/Cashew-Butter-Fudge85330.shtml

2 cups sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cashew butter -- at room temperature

Directions:

Butter an 8x8x2-inch baking dish or cake pan, working it into all the crevices. Combine the sugar, cream, milk, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Once the mixture begins to bubble, stir frequently until it reaches 235F on a candy thermometer, about 15 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the vanilla and cashew butter; continue stirring for about 5 minutes, until the cashew butter has been completely absorbed, and the fudge is smooth, free of lumps, and very thick.

Transfer the candy into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly with a rubber spatula. Set the dish aside for about 1 hour for the fudge to cool and harden.

Cut it into 1-inch squares. Store the fudge in an airtight container that has been lined with wax paper. It has a shelf life of 1 month, or can be stored for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.

#7 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM

I'm too lazy to retype this, but I just wrote this in another thread a few minutes ago:

I've been stirring (into coffee) in a generous spoon full of coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions.  I hear that most people don't like it, which leaves me baffled... I adore it!  I made some "candy" with it, too, melting it and stirring in fresh almond butter, coconut oil and a bit of honey (which I've since concluded was unnecessary since the CCC is SO sweet!) and then adding in some toasted sliced almonds and unsweetened shredded coconut and raw cacao nibs.

#8 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMort View Post

I'm too lazy to retype this, but I just wrote this in another thread a few minutes ago:

I've been stirring (into coffee) in a generous spoon full of coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions.  I hear that most people don't like it, which leaves me baffled... I adore it!  I made some "candy" with it, too, melting it and stirring in fresh almond butter, coconut oil and a bit of honey (which I've since concluded was unnecessary since the CCC is SO sweet!) and then adding in some toasted sliced almonds and unsweetened shredded coconut and raw cacao nibs.

Yum! I make some chocolates similar to this. I melt in a pan: coconut manna/spread, almond butter, coconut sugar(it's low glycimic index and tastes like brown sugar), vanilla, cocoa powder. After that is gently melted I remove from stove and add coconut flakes. I put it in an ikea ice cube tray that works perfectly as a chocolate mold. I store them in the refrigerator.

We create our own reality.
#9 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 AM

I also make muffins based on this recipe:
http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/2009/04/banana-caramel-sticky-buns.html

I have used the basic muffin recipe part and made substitutions/additions. I used a can of pumpkin and added pumpkin pie spices and walnuts, I skipped thecarmely topping. Blueberries in the basic muffin recipe also taste good, or blueberries and orange rind and afro drops orange essence. I use coconut sugar for everything.

I use muffin cups because the muffins are delicate and tend to fall apart easily.

We create our own reality.
#10 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Mix equal parts honey, coconut oil, and cocoa powder and put in a buttered bowl or small casserole dish and place in freezer. I also add almonds and shredded, unsweetened coconut to it. Sooooo good!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#11 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 03:27 PM

you can make honey sesame candy! I posted a recipe about it a couple years ago........ they are so good!

http://sugarmagnolia.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/sesame-sweets/

#12 of 13 Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 PM

I make an easy peanut butter fudge. 

1 1/4 cups peanut butter

1 1/4 cups butter

1 tsp. vanilla

4 cups powdered sugar (I put evaporated cane juice in the blender for a bit to make the powdered sugar...I think it takes 2.5 or 3 cups to make 4 c. of powdered)

Combine PB & butter in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Mix in powdered sugar.  Pour into greased 8x8 pan and refrigerate until set.  Actually I can't remember if the actual recipe calls to refrigerate it or not, but I always want to eat it right away so I do!  I don't refrigerate it after it's set though.

healthyadvocate likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM

These are homemade chocolate covered cherries:

http://thehealthyadvocate.com/2011/02/15/homemade-chocolate-covered-cherries-all-natural-sugar-free/

Sugar free and dairy free (if you replace the butter with coconut oil or other natural saturated fat).

You might try replacing the chocolate mixture for unsweetened baking chocolate so that it will hold up and won't melt while traveling. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page