Mothering Forum banner

whats in your superfood smoothie?:)

4K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  NoTiGG 
#1 ·
im looking for a rev up kind of smoothie to start the day for myself and ds who is a 2.5 yr old.

im interested in protein, any extra supplements like maca(okay for children?), green powder, omegas, vitamin c, magnesium, calcium(we dont drink milk but eat yogurt) and anything thats good for us!

i haven't found any great info on whether maca was safe for children or nursing mothers(we're still nursing) but it appealed to me because of its vast amount of nutrients and i feel that my ds needs something extra to help him calm down sometimes, he always looks stressed in the eyes.

would love some fun healthy and nutrient packed recipes!

#2 ·
i haven't done smoothies in a few months, but we used to make them every day.

we'd throw in:

a banana

a cup or two of berries, apple, pear, whatever other fruit we had

some yogurt or kefir, or if not, i'd use almond milk and open a couple of probiotic capsules in

bee pollen

fish coconut oil avocado, or other good oil

either fresh spinach/arugula/sprouts or some greens powder

some ground flax or salba seeds

maybe a bit of vanilla

sometimes some peanut butter or other nut butter

sometimes half an avocado

sometimes a raw egg (we keep our own hens so i trust them)

i sortof just threw whatever i had in there.

#3 ·
I'm with aldensmom. Our smoothie base is always kefir and then we add what we have. Today we had kefir, banana, alfalfa sprouts, spinach, and mixed berries. I don't ever add powders or supplements & try to keep them as "whole" as possible.

#4 ·
My usual recipe:

banana

frozen berries

kale or spinach leaves

celery

sometimes a chunk of fresh beet root

carrot

pineapple

for the liquid, either kefir or coconut cream or apple juice

additives:

acerola cherry powder

whole flax seeds (my Vitamix grinds them superfine so you can't even tell they're in there)

nutritional yeast

stevia xtract if needed

The kids will eat anything, so long as the smoothie tastes like fruit. Don't over-do it on the vegetables, lol

#5 ·
thanks everyone! i agree with the whole foods, not looking for any protein powders or the like, but i am interested in cocao and maca as i've seen many people recipes include these. we usually either do a green smoothie which consists of greens and fruit or a "milk" smoothie which is frozen acai, fruit, nut butter, and almond milk.

but after your ladies recipes, i think i will try a kefir base instead of almond milk and definitely add flax or chia seeds. thanks again!

#6 ·
As far as supplement type add ins I am still looking for the perfect chlorella and spirulina combo. I have one sitting in my counter I haven't tried yet, but so many of them have things I don't want like added flavors or acai ect. I want to make my own version of green machine by adding the powder to juices I've done with my juice extractor.

#7 ·
I use a kefir base as well.

I also use

frozen fruit - usually a berry mix

sometimes fresh fruit like bananas if I have any around that we don't plan on using as snacks

spinach or parsley or some other green

a nut butter

this hemp protein powder http://www.sunfood.com/food/hemp-foods/ruth-s-16-oz-hemp-protein-sprouted-flax-maca-powder-raw-certified-organic.html

this green powder http://www.sunfood.com/food/green-superfoods/sun-is-shining-green-superfood-10oz-raw-organic-wildcrafted-ingredients.html

sometimes this http://www.sunfood.com/pure-radiance-c-powder-4oz-120g-synergy-co.html

sometimes I add broccoli too, usually frozen since I always have that on hand

sometimes raw local honey

nutritional yeast

sometimes avocado if I have any on hand (they always get gross SO FAST for me! I store them separate from other stuff even *sigh*)

I like raw cacao as well... it adds a nice flavor... I also like to sprinkle it over coconut ice cream :D

I can't make a small amount of smoothie.. I don't measure all the ingredients and just throw stuff in so I usually have enough to eat throughout the day haha. Pretty much I just throw in a ton of stuff... all sorts of things I have on hand that sound good. I know I always feel better though when I have some every day.

#8 ·
I have some organic, wildcrafted maca powder from mountainroseherbs.com It tastes terrible. I make it into capsules, rather than trying to drink it. There is no way to hide the nasty flavor of maca in a smoothie unless you drop in a generous spoonful of peanut butter. Just FYI ;)

#9 ·
good to know before i buy as it is pretty expensivo:) i also havent found much info on taking it while nursing or if its safe for children. so, guess i wont be using it for a bit anyway....

kefir based ladies: is it just regular kefir you buy at the store? or do you make it yourself(water kefir?) all i've bought with kefir before is a pretty small size they sell at store which i would imagine would only last about two smoothies? is this how it works for you?

#10 ·
Today our smoothie had:

Kefir ( I use organic store bought)

Banana

Frozen raspberries

Sprouted flax seeds

acerola cherry powder

probiotic.

I put some wheatgrass powder in mine but my son would never drink it.

I can't make up my mind about green powders!. I am really sitting on the fence about them!

We prefer to take our fish oil separately swallowing it down in one gulp and getting it over with!

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

you know, i've tried coconut oil many times because of its wonderful benefits, but everytime my stomach does not agree:(
how much are you using? My kiddo eats it all the time but one night I must have put too much in her oatmeal because dinner was all over me an hour or so later. Too much fat at one time makes me throw up too.

#16 ·
My "recipe" was always raw milk, raw egg yolk, buttermilk or yogurt and a banana. Only a few superfoods, but all of them so good for you, and yummy and easy and cheaper that way.

#17 ·
I make my own kefir & if you can get your hands on some grains, I'd recommend it! Nothing is easier. Funny thing, though....a few days ago I gave up dairy for various reasons so my smoothies are different & I need to tweak a bit. I've been adding avocado which definitely makes it creamy & I may try some almond butter. We're big fans of coconut oil, too, but I've yet to add it to a smoothie because it seems like it would dominate the taste no matter how much you put in. Is that the case or no?

#18 ·
i love the flavor that coconut oil adds to the smoothies, but my stomach is always "off" after i have some and i break out as well. im thinking my body has a hard time breaking down fats. also, i am blood type A, and the A diet says no coconut. dont know how factual it is, but it sure was right for me! i might try smaller portions to start-we were doing about a TBS before.

#19 ·
Quote:
i love the flavor that coconut oil adds to the smoothies, but my stomach is always "off" after i have some and i break out as well. im thinking my body has a hard time breaking down fats. also, i am blood type A, and the A diet says no coconut. dont know how factual it is, but it sure was right for me! i might try smaller portions to start-we were doing about a TBS before.
Coconut oil contains compounds that kill candida or yeast in the body (caprylic acid) and I talked to a friend of my once awhile ago and he told me "I love coconut oil! When I take spoonfuls of it I get sick to my stomach because of how cleansing it is." I always remembered that. Could be true.

#20 ·
My son's smoothies always have:

raw milk kefir

frozen berries

chlorella (his homeopath has him chelating mercury, which we do with cilantro tincture and chlorella)

stevia

pastured egg yolk

sometimes we add

powdered kelp

coconut oil (melt it then add it while the blender is running to avoid "chunks")

frozen grass-fed organ meat

kale, etc

Something no one else mentioned is a small chunk of frozen grass-fed liver or heart. After buying it at the farmers market (frozen) I let it partially thaw, then cut into small chunks (about 1-2 teaspoon size). Then let them freeze individually and once they're frozen, I store them in a freezer bag. One or two chunks aren't detectable in the smoothie...I don't add it every time, though.

#21 ·
Though there are no studies to demonstrate this, the research I've done indicates that there is currently no reason to believe that maca is unsafe for nursing. It is a food, not a drug, so in moderate amounts I have come to believe I can take it while breastfeeding, which I do -- up to 1 tsp./day. It is said to even increase milk supply. I haven't noticed this myself, but I certainly don't have supply issues : ) I add it to smoothies all the time and don't taste it, possibly because I always put in a fresh orange. I've found orange juice can mask the flavour of almost anything.

#23 ·
I throw in a handful of parsley in my green smoothies. The smoothie does end up having a slight parsley flavour. But after this type of green smoothie I immediately feel much more energetic and happy. If I do workout then those workouts are much more intense. I don't know what it is about parsley, but I have done comparisons with smoothies with parsley and without. Parsley makes me feel great.

#26 ·
Kind of. I share my smoothies with her so she (2yo) gets some, but she doesn't eat much smoothie at a time yet. I also only use the 2tsp serving the label indicates but the smoothie usually ends up a lot bigger than a serving (I can't make small amounts hahaha)

The label says that for some people, it can cause them to detox so maybe it would be an issue for some little kids? I also still nurse her and neither of us have had any issues... unless you count feeling better during the day whenever I have a smoothie for breakfast haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

treeoflife3: i've recently heard a lot about sunfood green powder supplement. it looks amazing! do you give this to your young children?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.