Thinking about starting raw milk for the first time...when pregnant. Would you do it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm considering switching the family over to raw milk, mostly for my 1.5 year old.  (DH and I don't really drink a lot of milk to begin with).  I'd probably use it in smoothies mostly.  But, my daughter would drink more like 15oz a day.  Do you have to start little kids slowly?  I've heard of people getting sick since their bodies weren't used to the bacteria?  Which makes me wonder...is this really something I should be starting when I am 8 months pregnant?

I personally drove out to the farm and toured the place.  I talked with the woman who operates the farm and checked the milking area and all that.  I think I trust the source...I mean I trust her more than I do Horizon milk...but, I don't know enough to say I 100% trust the source.  She does have the milk tested monthly (which I think is all they can afford on such tight budget - there are only like 5 cows and she's mostly breaking even and not making a lot of profit). 

It's the only choice we have for raw milk around here.  I'm just not sure if I should dive into this while pregnant if your body needs to get used to the specific bacteria found in raw milk.  Nor do I really want to risk listeria...but, I still risk e coli and such with all of the raw fruits and vegetables I readily consume.  So is this no big deal?

#2 of 7 Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wondered about exactly the same thing. Then I decided not to risk it. My midwife thought it was a wise choice. I ended up trying it when my LO was about a month old, but got a terrible stomach ache (I have lactose issues anyway...).

We ended up switching to almond milk for the time being. It's ultimately your call. Raw milk is fantastic stuff, truly, if you can handle it.

#3 of 7 Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 PM

I drink raw milk while pregnant, from my own goats or my friends. There is some info on it on Weston Price foundation. I have heard the opinion that it is no less safe than eating raw veggies while pregnant.

#4 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 AM

I did begin raw milk for me for the first time while pregnant. I never would have thought of it, but my midwife suggested it. My source was my midwife's source, so I had no "cleanliness" concerns.
I never drank milk before, but during my pregnancy, I drank 1/2 to 1 gallon raw milk per day. I never had any digestive issues due to the switch.

Go with your gut! (Pun intended)
#5 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 AM

if you eat raw spinach then you are already taking the biggest risk of food-poisoning out there.  So, i say go for it!

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#6 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM

I drink it while pregnant.  I had no gastrointestinal issues switching over.  Neither did any of my kids or my DH. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM

I started it when pregnant and so did dh and my 1.5yo son - we continued until we moved too far from the farm. My second son also drank it when he started drinking dairy. We didn't have any problems. 

I understand your worry though - I definitely paused before drinking it. I saw a chart (Weston Price site maybe) with how many recalls for pasteurized milk vs. raw milk. That made me feel SO much better. We just *think* "regular" pasteurized milk is safe.....

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page