Homemade Crackers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO and DH are cracker lovers, in fact when he orders soup at a restaurant he says, "I would like the Tomato soup, with a ridiculous amount of crackers" haha. For the past week I have been trying to make my own, I have gathered a bunch of recipes and so far everything has been a big FAIL. DD takes a bite, looks at the cracker, looks at me and then tosses it on the ground and walks away. They just aren't good, I have to agree with her : )

Anyone make their own crackers, and if so, care to share a recipe or some thoughts....?

#2 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

lurk.gif

#3 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 PM

This is the recipe I use.  I have made it wih whole wheat flour or with sprouted wheat flour.  I also use, as the recipe suggests, honey as the sweetner.  I roll it out on my pizza baking stone which when rolled out makes the dough the perfect thickness.  They cut it into squares, prick with fork to make it look more authentic and sprinkle with sea salt.  So good!   DS and I both love them!  Hope you guys like them as well!   http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/02/05/finer-things-friday-homemade-cracker-recipe-at-long-last/ 

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#4 of 15 Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean View Post

This is the recipe I use.  I have made it wih whole wheat flour or with sprouted wheat flour.  I also use, as the recipe suggests, honey as the sweetner.  I roll it out on my pizza baking stone which when rolled out makes the dough the perfect thickness.  They cut it into squares, prick with fork to make it look more authentic and sprinkle with sea salt.  So good!   DS and I both love them!  Hope you guys like them as well!   http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/02/05/finer-things-friday-homemade-cracker-recipe-at-long-last/ 

Thanks....I'm going to try this out today - I have a pizza stone, and the other recipes did not call for any butter (so maybe that was part of it). They certainly look better in the pictures than anything I've made so far.....

#5 of 15 Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Mine look pretty nice I must say.  The ones from the edges of the circle are as picture perfect but I nor my toddler care! :)  Hope they turn out!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#6 of 15 Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Almond Thins

1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 325. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of parchment. Spray a piece of wax paper or parchment with cooking spray and lay over top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove paper. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay parchment on rack in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 50 crackers.

Carb count is about 13 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavor-use ranch powder, ground bacon bits, season salt... Can also add cinnamon and a touch of sugar for a sweet snack.
cocobean likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM

I recently made some crackers from extra sourdough starter.  If you use sourdough you could give this a try:

I mixed about 1/2 cup starter with an equal amount whole wheat flour and a lump of coconut oil (sorry, I just estimated - maybe 2-3 tbs?) and knead a bit till smooth.  Let sit for a while if you want to let the sourdough work on the flour, but you don't have to if you don't want to.  Grease a cookie sheet and roll the dough out super super thin then cut with a pizza cutter.  Sprinkle with salt and lightly press to make it stick.  Bake for 20 min at 350.

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

#8 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 PM

The "yoghurt dough" from Nourishing Traditions makes yummy crackers.  Here's a copy of the recipe for the dough: http://totalbirthing.com.au/2010/12/yoghurt-dough/  Just roll it out to cracker thickness, score it into the sizes you want, prick with a fork, and bake at 350 until it looks done (10-12 minutes ish).

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#9 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM

I'm planning to make these this afternoon:

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/11/grain-free-almond-crackers-with-garlic-rosemary/

I'll report back on how they turn out.

Edit: I made these today and they are really tasty!  Added about 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast which gave it a nice tang.  You do really have to mash them down, though, or roll them out to get them to 1/8-1/16" thick.

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#10 of 15 Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Here's another site featuring the NT recipe, with pictures and detailed instructions:  http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/02/rich-whole-grain-crackers-2.html  Every recipe I have tried from this website has been good.  

#11 of 15 Old 04-11-2011, 01:18 PM

I don't know how traditional this recipe is, but my toddler LOVES them. DH too. I'm sure there's a way to make them a little more TF friendly. Please let me know if you do. I ran out of whole wheat flour and used regular white and they came out fine.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/03/whole-wheat-goldfish-crackers/

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#12 of 15 Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Oh I can't wait to give some of these a try, crackers have been on my mental learn how to make list. thanks!

Jennie: Working mother to 3 and loving wife to my hubby for over 12 years
Emily 10 Taylor 8 Logan 6
#13 of 15 Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM

subbing...

#14 of 15 Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the recipes.....my "due date" is tomorrow and the weather has been so horrible here in NY that I have had plenty of time in the kitchen....my DD and DH are happily trying out all the new crackers in the house! They are both big "grazers" so when they are in the house I keep a platter of crackers, fruits, veggies, cheeses, nuts, etc. out for them.

#15 of 15 Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Subbing..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page