Water vs. Milk Kefir - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking into making kefir. What's the big difference btwn the two? I've only had the normal dairy kind from the store. Water kefir sounds a lot like kombucha, which I already brew.

Is one easier or more nutritious? I was going to do water kefir since I don't have access to good/raw milk, but if it's so similar to bucha maybe not.

I'm also looking for a good supplier for the grains since they're all $20 online (ridiculous IMO).

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#2 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 AM

I'm very interested to hear this too -- does anyone know how water kefir babies do in the mail? I live in China and would like to have some sent to me but I'm not sure if they'd survive the trip?
#3 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM

I bought my grains from culturesforhealth.com they are dehydrated grains and I think yeemos.com has grains for $10 or look on Etsy.com

The difference I have notices with milk kefir you get proteins and then water and milk kefir have different bacterial strains
#4 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 AM

This might be helpful: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/expert-advice/compare-milk-kefir-versus-water-kefir.html

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#5 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM

I bought some water kefir grains on ebay a couple months ago and could not be happier with the result. 

The package got stuck in customs so it took 10 days for it to arrive.  I thought for sure they would be dead but they have done nothing but produce delicious water kefir and propagate. The kefir tastes like a bubbly lemonade/ginger ale and I find myself craving it now. My friends and husband who don't really like kombucha do like the water kefir. Most recipes suggest using raisins, but I couldn't find any unsulfured so I have been using prunes or dried apricots.  Tasty, seriously!

I also bought some milk kefir grains and I am not as thrilled with them . . . maybe I'm just not used to the taste/texture or how long to culture the milk kefir.  I have been putting it in smoothies and using as a base to make salad dressing.  My husband has been drinking it plain a little, but not me! The grains themselves are growing plump and seem very healthy - they were also in the 10-day delayed package and survived. 

I think that while $20 sounds steep, it's probably worth it since it's practically free to make kefir and you want to get a strong, healthy strain. Mine were about $30 for a group of one kombucha mother, about 2 tbs water kefir grains, about 2 tbs ginger beer plant (very similar to water kefir) and about 1 tbs of milk kefir grains. 

Good luck!!

Miranda, 27, wife to DH, 38, and brand new mama to DS! joy.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I've been making kefir water for a couple of months. I find it super easy. I think its worth the $20, but you may be able to find someone to give you them for free - since they multiply as you use them. (I've heard there are some sharing websites where people give them away.)

Good luck!

#7 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM

You could always look on craigslist for the grains or I know there is a yahoo group on Kefir that people I have heard, will share them....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page