Is it normal to react like this to kefir? - Mothering Forums
Traditional Foods > Is it normal to react like this to kefir?
bright_eyes's Avatar bright_eyes 01:21 PM 03-28-2011

I got some kefir grains and have been making it and drinking it for the last couple of weeks.  But I seem to be reacting quite poorly to it and am not sure if I should keep drinking it, or maybe start slower?  I seem to react if I even have a tiny amount.

The biggest symptom is an aching gut.  I've had this ache before off and on for years.  And then I got pregnant with my second and it wouldn't go away so I cut out gluten and felt really good.  But after he was born, I started eating gluten again and felt fine so I've been eating ever since (17 months).  I wake up with the ache in my gut every now and then but it goes away pretty quickly.  I've ignored it because I just haven't been in a place where I want to do the gluten free thing again.

But when I drink the kefir, my gut aches all the time and if I take a break from drinking it, it stops. 

And then on top of that, it is cleaning me out!  I have had bm after bm, including waking up several times in the night to go.  My dh and kids are going to the bathroom more often, too, so I assume this is normal?  But for me, it almost feels like I am sick. 

I just don't know if this is normal to go through this adjustment.  The only probiotic food in my diet has been yogurt, so this is new to me.  I wonder if I just have to keep drinking and it will get better or if the reaction I am having is a sign that I have underlying issues that are coming to surface as I drink the kefir.  Is that possible?  Maybe I need to reconsider going gluten free again?

MIrandaM's Avatar MIrandaM 01:20 PM 03-29-2011

Hi, are you drinking milk kefir or water kefir?

bright_eyes's Avatar bright_eyes 09:59 PM 03-29-2011

Milk kefir.

bright_eyes's Avatar bright_eyes 10:12 PM 04-03-2011

Does no one here have answers?  I have my kefir sitting dormant in the fridge because I am reacting so horribly to it and would love to know if this is normal and I just have to get used to it?  Have others here had a tough time transitioning to drinking kefir?

Koalamom's Avatar Koalamom 06:34 AM 04-04-2011
It can sure clean you out and detox you strongly and if it were me I would stop drinking it or only try a a tablespoon at a time.
mehmig's Avatar mehmig 01:31 PM 04-05-2011
I don't know about the pain, but I'd suggest you go low and slow and cut back. It could be killing yeast and that can make you feel bad. It will make you go a lot if it is getting gut flora in order. You could try activated charcoal about one hour after kefir and see if it helps.
ChicoYaYa's Avatar ChicoYaYa 05:01 PM 04-06-2011

My instinct would say to cut out all dairy for a minimum of 3 weeks. Then do a skin patch test overnight (put a dab of kefir on your wrist, let it dry, then check in the morning to see if you have had any type of reaction.) This will give you an idea if dairy is the culprit.

When I was diagnosed gluten intolerant, I was surprised to receive a diagnosis of casein intolerance at the same time. After 3 years, I have been able to add cultured RAW dairy back into my diet with no adverse consequences. This may be because of the raw, or it may be that my gut had time to heal.

Listen to your body. If you have the stomach cramps and the diarrhea, that is a pretty clear indicator that your body is not handling something that you are putting into your mouth. The gluten and the dairy are pretty sure places to start looking as they are among the "usual list of suspects."

bright_eyes's Avatar bright_eyes 10:30 AM 04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoYaYa View Post

My instinct would say to cut out all dairy for a minimum of 3 weeks. Then do a skin patch test overnight (put a dab of kefir on your wrist, let it dry, then check in the morning to see if you have had any type of reaction.) This will give you an idea if dairy is the culprit.

When I was diagnosed gluten intolerant, I was surprised to receive a diagnosis of casein intolerance at the same time. After 3 years, I have been able to add cultured RAW dairy back into my diet with no adverse consequences. This may be because of the raw, or it may be that my gut had time to heal.

Listen to your body. If you have the stomach cramps and the diarrhea, that is a pretty clear indicator that your body is not handling something that you are putting into your mouth. The gluten and the dairy are pretty sure places to start looking as they are among the "usual list of suspects."

How did you find out your were gluten intolerant?  Did you just cut it out and feel better or did you have any diagnostic tools to help you know?

Up