Sauekraut problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, I just made my first batch of sauerkraut, and I'm not sure if it's okay.  I made it with cabbage, carrots, onions, and salt, and it's been sitting for 5.5 days.  it's a little gloopy, like the liquid is thick and sort of clingy, sticky, if you know what I mean.  Is that okay?  Also, it could be it tastes a little "tingly", my husband doesn't think so, but I do.  Is it okay?

#2 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

PLEASE someone reply, this is my first time doingfermenting like this and I have no idea if it's right, thank you!

#3 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 AM

I've never had sourkraut turn gloopy.  The tingly seems possible, when I've done non-kraut ferments (like salsa and pickles), they ended up tasting sort of... carbonated (carbonated pickles are funny! and possibly tingly feeling).

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
kl5

I had slimy brine in my kraut once too and I didn't eat it. I figured I used too little salt and it was a yeast overgrowth. I think there is a thread here somewhere. But I think a lot of people would eat it, especially if the smell is not offensive. Tingly is normal. Here is a Q and A from the Wild Fermentation forum: http://ww.wildfermentation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98&p=311 Do some more searching, you'll find there is a wide range of answers. Maybe try a tablespoon and wait a bit and go from there.

#5 of 11 Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 PM

I had that happen too, and fuzzy mold, so I didn't eat it. Good luck!!

#6 of 11 Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM

My ginger carrots went slimy like that.  I finally found information that said that they had been inhabited by the wrong type of yeast/bacteria.  The way to avoid that in the future is to use more cabbage than carrots or to take some juice from a good batch and use that as a starter.  I never made the ginger carrots again, but my plan was to take the juice from my saurkraut and pour 1/4 cup or so into the carrots next time. 

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#7 of 11 Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 PM

I have been experimenting a lot lately with lacto-fermentation, and it's definitely a learning process.  I have had batches that turned out perfectly, and others that went bad.  The bad ones I knew without a doubt they were bad.  They smelled horrible!  There have been a few that went "tingly" - I think this is just a little more sour than "perfect", and it's not bad, just different.  My dh doesn't notice it, but I do.  I haven't yet had anything turn slimy, but I have noticed that the juice gets thicker with my carrots and beets, but it tastes great.  I have had a little bit of mold here and there, once on a very bad batch of picked cukes, and sometimes a bit on the surface of something but I just skim it off the top and the rest is fine.  Keep trying, have fun, and good luck!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#8 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I just took a class last night and it was suggested that to kickstart some good bacteria in your cultures, you can put organic apple skins in it. 

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#9 of 11 Old 04-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Slimy and gloopy.  How fine did you shred the cabbage?  What's the temp at home right now?

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#10 of 11 Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I've been experimenting with lacto-fermentation over the last few years. As another poster mentioned, tingly is okay. A small amount of while mold is okay/normal on the surface as well (as long as it doesn't smell bad or have a greenish/black tint) - you can just skim it off. Don't stir to mix it in though.

Did you start with just salt or a brine? A lot of recipes call for a brine, which doesn't work. Thinking about what salt does, it draws the moisture out. So for a good sauerkraut, just salt it and the process of the moisture being drawn out of the cabbage will generally create enough liquid within a day or two to keep the cabbage submerged.

For a beginning kraut, I really recommend doing cabbage only, omitting carrots, onions, etc. Different veg fermets at different rates, may require different levels of salting, etc. Once you get the hang of a simple single-vegetable ferment and know what to expect, then you can expand and try different combinations.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#11 of 11 Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 AM

it's a pediococcus infection because you didn't use enough salt initially.  you can eat it but you may not want to.  

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page