Grain Free/Primal/Paleo for Spring!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 237 Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

errrggghhhh.....I fell off the grain free wagon since giving up almond meal flour.  It doesn't help that I ran out of money for food as well and had to go with what is in my pantry.  All my baked goods have been from what is in the pantry as well.  I've had great amounts of oats, rice, and even had refined white sugar.  I stopped eating every 2 hrs. and started eating 3 large meals/day. 

In the month since going (mostly) grain free I've lost weight and it all came flying back on in 4 short days.  My belly is bloated.  I'm tired.  This isn't working. 

I'll get back on the grain-free wagon as soon as I go shopping.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 237 Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can you post your cornbread recipe?
#63 of 237 Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Something I've been wondering...

What's the difference between a "grain" and a "seed"?

I've heard people say that things like chia and quinoa are seeds, not grains, but I don't know the difference.
#64 of 237 Old 04-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

can you post your cornbread recipe?

Was that question for me? Sure, I can do that. Let me see if I can remember it exactly :)

- 2 cups corn meal (stone ground is good)

- 2 tsp baking powder

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 2 eggs, beaten (assuming grocery-store sized; I use 3 pullet eggs)

- 2 cups buttermilk (to be honest, I've been using just plain whole milk but buttermilk would make a big, positive difference)

- 2 tbsp bacon grease or butter (I've only used bacon grease thus far, haven't tried butter)

Preheat oven to 450F, put the bacon grease in an 8x8 oven-safe pan and put it in while it's preheating.

Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients.

Take pan out of oven and pour batter into it. The mixture will sizzle when it hits the bacon grease.

Bake for 35 minutes at 450F, or until golden brown.

I confess I once snuck a tablespoon of maple syrup into the batter too, just to add a bare hint of sweetness. A true Southern cornbread doesn't have any sweetener whatsoever, but I'm a Yankee and couldn't resist.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#65 of 237 Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Yay! Thanks for the smoothie link! I get so stuck in a rut it's hard to think of even the simplest of recipes. Those look yummy! I could throw an egg yolk or two in there for some extra protein too!

#66 of 237 Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It was blanched almond flour.  Does that still have skins?

Yes, that would mean the skins are removed.

I forgot another favorite breakfast/snack for us:  Grain-free granola if you are ok with honey!  We love it!  I found the recipe here: http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/2009/10/yummy-granola.html

I make it with less honey and only bake it for about 20 minutes.

I am wishing there was a good way to thicken things.  We had lettuce wraps for dinner and they were good but the sauce was so thin.  :(

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#67 of 237 Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM

So I'm on my 3rd day without oats or potatoes.  We've been grain free except for those items.  I feel ok, have a bit of a headache today and am tired, but that could be because my baby was up all night with a cough and fever, ugh!

Anyhoo, strawberry smoothies with coconut milk sound delish!  I have a hard time finding coconut milk that doesn't have other things added like guar gum and careenagan.  Where do you guys get yours?

Cobabymaker - I use geletin to thicken sauces, you have to boil it down a bit more to get the thickness and it's still not as thick as using starch or flour, but it works pretty well.

I've been craving berries like crazy!  Can't wait till payday (this friday) to get some.

I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions of what I can do with whole chickens.  I have a ton in my freezer and am getting tired of the way I usually make it (roasted with butter and onions, and served cut right off the carcus).

Hope everyone is having an awesome day!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#68 of 237 Old 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM

So happy that I found this thread! I am just starting a paleo diet and I am excited! My husband is much less excited but I think he will get on board. I'm starting a CrossFit boot camp on the 25th and I know that a primal diet is highly encouraged during the 6 weeks of the program so I'm trying to get a little head start!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#69 of 237 Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM

MamaSpirit, I never thought about gelatin.  I will have to get some and try that!

I buy flaked coconut from azure standard and make my own coconut milk.  I couldn't find any that didn't have starches either.  I've heard that some places have frozen coconut milk but have never seen it so I don't know what's in it. 

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpxPoizVT9c

This morning I tried soaking it first like in the method from Elana's Pantry and I think I got a little more fat from it.  I imagine if you used fresh coconut you would get more fat also.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#70 of 237 Old 04-29-2011, 04:21 PM

Ooh! I live in Hawaii so I have been bugging my Dh to get us some coconuts to make that coconut milk! MMM! 

So, I am attempting to ween my 17 month old for various reasons... but I was wondering if I should start supplementing her with something else? She is starting to get pretty picky and getting food into her is not easy anymore. :( She basically wants to eat just fruit and sauerkraut! :P I have been giving her FCLO (she used to like it, but within the last few days she is avoiding it at all costs). We haven't had grains or beans in the house since she was born, so she hasn't ever gotten addicted to those kinds of foods (although sometimes I see how easy those foods are for other moms and get a little jealous). Is it ok to let her just eat what she wants for now? Do you think she'll come around again to eating more variety?

Other random question: Do you do green smoothies? Like with bananas and blueberries and kale? Is that too much fruit for primal? Is it even that healthy? I always get so caught up in the raw food stuff and then have to ask about it! ;)

#71 of 237 Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

I am wishing there was a good way to thicken things.  We had lettuce wraps for dinner and they were good but the sauce was so thin.  :(

Arrowroot! I'm always surprised I don't see this mentioned more often. My dad doesn't tolerate ANY grains, so I grew up using this as a thickener instead of flour or corn starch. You sub it measure for measure for corn starch (IIRC), but usually I just reserve a bit of the liquid or spoon it out, and add 1-2 TBL of arrowroot to this, stiring or whisking to make it smooth. Then add to the pan/pot. You need to stir constantly and it will thicken FAST of it gets too hot, but it makes a nice smooth sauce with no lumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

MamaSpirit, I never thought about gelatin.  I will have to get some and try that!

I buy flaked coconut from azure standard and make my own coconut milk.  I couldn't find any that didn't have starches either.  I've heard that some places have frozen coconut milk but have never seen it so I don't know what's in it. 

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpxPoizVT9c

This morning I tried soaking it first like in the method from Elana's Pantry and I think I got a little more fat from it.  I imagine if you used fresh coconut you would get more fat also.

I don't think these kinds of starches are forbidden on paleo, are they? I was looking at the new "Everyday Paleo" book at B&N yesterday, and she recommended two canned brands as well as So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk for coffee. I am going to order the book from Amazon, so when I get it, I'll post her recs.

I know this isn't really a weight loss thread, but I wanted to share that as of today, Paleo day 20, I am down 6.5 pounds, 4 cm from high bust (under arms) and 6 cm from waist. I've also dropped at least 1% body fat, maybe more. I haven't been super strict (had too many chocolate covered blueberries on Easter! And a few bites cake at a b'day party, and some wine). And today was my first real "work out" since before my DD was born in November. I wish I could afford to join a CrossFit, but I'm going to do what I can on my own.

ETA: I took pictures today! Didn't manage it before, but I'm OK with that. :)

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#72 of 237 Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM

DD is on the GAPS diet in which all starches are not allowed.  That's why the arrowroot is out.  Sorry, I should have clarified.  I still haven't tried the gelatin thing-I'm a little scared of it!

#73 of 237 Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Gotcha! Just looked it up. Wow. hardcore. I hope it is helping her.

ETA: Reduction is probably your best, maybe only, way to thicken sauces. I wish it didn't take so long.  Is coconut flour considered a starch?

This post (and the comments) on Mark's Daily Apple might have some ideas for you.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#74 of 237 Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Quote:
What's the difference between a "grain" and a "seed"?

I've heard people say that things like chia and quinoa are seeds, not grains, but I don't know the difference.

seed in no way = grain, plants of non-grains have seeds

chia is related to mint

quinoa is pigweed

and corn is a grain

to say you are "grain free" is different from being gluten free

"grain" exists in even the smallest amount, such as in organic extract--the alcohol is grain based 

many claim to be grain free but you truly need to search every source of your diet as well as the diet of all the animals you eat (many free-range chickens strut into the corn and wheat fields and eat)

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#75 of 237 Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Glad to see a new thread! I was previously here in the summer and fall/winter last year, so I see some familar names.  I've been gluten free now (except for some small slip-ups) for almost a year now and have been increasingly trying to eat fewer grains.  I would say I am low grain kind of gal vs. grain-free especially in light of Serenbat's explaination.  Winter was rough, but I tried to keep up with just soups, chilis and stews. 

Overall the diet is working for me as long as I keep my carbs down around the 100g range - which means I feel good and I don't have an upset tummy or gi problems. Most recently I added a fair amount of walking back to my lifestyle and managed to drop almost 15lbs.  Finally I am re-embracing coconut oil as a supplement in my diet and even figured out how to eat it raw (Sea Salt!) instead of adding it to my coffee in the morning.  

I can't wait to try the cornbread recipe I saw posted earlier... Mmmm eat.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#76 of 237 Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

seed in no way = grain, plants of non-grains have seeds

chia is related to mint

quinoa is pigweed

and corn is a grain

to say you are "grain free" is different from being gluten free

"grain" exists in even the smallest amount, such as in organic extract--the alcohol is grain based 

many claim to be grain free but you truly need to search every source of your diet as well as the diet of all the animals you eat (many free-range chickens strut into the corn and wheat fields and eat)

I get that we have drawn a line botanically and call some things grains and some things seeds. But they are both the reproductive parts of the plant and they do have similarities.

So, nutritionally speaking, why are grains something to avoid but seeds are ok?

I also understand that grain-free and gluten-free are not the same thing winky.gif Some grains don't have gluten but are still a no-no if you're "grain free."

#77 of 237 Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 PM

ALMOST every "plant" seeds at some point

edible "seeds" are different from "plant" to "plant"

Quote:

Would love to know that? I posed the same in the other section (N&G-eating------feeding guest organic food)

I have yet to see a study that supports it, noting long term and I'm talking more then a one generation here.

I believe in real history and I believe in recorded documented history-not feel good history.

IF you really are avoiding "grains" you have close to 5000 to avoid and again all the animals who's diets are made up of grains that people eat in place of grains dizzy.gif

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#78 of 237 Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

Typically its protein content vs starch content. The things we think of as nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc) have low starch and high protein. The ones we think of as grain have high starch and lower protein. ETA - oh, and fats! Cant forget those!

For many (most?) of us on here, its not about avoiding the grain for the grain's sake. Which seems to be the point you're missing, serenbat. I avoid grains for the sake of *my health*. When I dont avoid them my body punishes me in various ways, from weight gain to asthmatic-type symptoms, lethargy, depression, etc. Its not restricted to grains, if i were to eat potatoes, cassava, plantain or any other starchy plant matter daily id be having similar problems. But i do not have the difficulty in limiting those things that i do w grain, which is in large part societal. In the US, cassava and plantain are abberations, and in my region, the potato is mostly restricted to breakfast. But bread, cereal, pasta and other (mostly refined) grains appear at every meal and almost every snack.

Your insistence on a Peer reviewed long term study before altering your eating makes me wonder what your diet looks like. Because as far as I know there have been zero long term peer reviewed dietary studies performed anywhere in the world. The closest you can get is studying the diets of indigenous peoples who have been un-contaminated by "civilization". But thats not exactly a controlled or peer reviewed study.

Your other comment was on secondary ingestion of grain, which goes back to the primary presumption that grain is being avoided for grains sake, which ive already addressed. But i will point out that not everyone here eats animal products from conventionally raised animals. Im sure some of us do for budgetary reasons, but again, thats an assumption. Personally all of our meat comes from local farms where the animals are pastured and never fed grains. My eggs come from a farmer who only supplements grains in the dark of winter when the chickens arent laying. The rest of the time they're eating veggies and whatever they can catch. My milk comes from another local farm, which until Fukushima only pastured. But theyve had to turn under their pastures because of fallout, so are now feeding hay. Not ideal, but until the pastures test less contaminated, we all deal.

This diet does not work for everybody, and ive never claimed otherwise. Which is why i dont understand why i repeatedly run into people who insist how unilaterally unhealthy it is to remove grains from your diet. I spent years damaging my health on a grain heavy low fat diet because that was the "healthy" thing to do. Now I listen to my body and try to undo that damage, regardless of what other people think.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#79 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 AM

In my head, grains have always been separate from seeds. Grains are the seeds of grasses. Nuts are the seeds of (some) trees. I always thought of it as grains being cultivated, but some seeds are cultivated, too, I suppose. So I went looking and found this explanation on Our Naked Food:
Quote:
All grains are seeds, but they are differentiated by the way they form. A grain has the fruit and seed fused into one while a seed is more like an egg yolk enclosed in egg white. They are distinctly separate. I think the confusion is more between grains and grain like seeds than grain and seeds.
Here is a list of which is which:

True Grains: Maize, Rice, Wheat, Barley, Sorghum, Oats, Rye, Tritcale, Fonio (Africa), Teff, Spelt, Einkorn, Emmer, Durum

Grain-like Seeds: Quinoa, Amaranth, Wild Rice, Buckwheat, Millet

The grain like seeds are seeds but carbohydrate and fat content more closely resembles grains.

Hope this helps a bit. (community)

#80 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
 Nuts are the seeds of (some) trees.

and in many cases of true nuts they are the fruit of the tree

&

#81 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:

and in many cases of true nuts they are the fruit of the tree

So are you trying to say nuts and grains are similar? Not sure what the point of this was. Anyway, if you look at them from a nutritional stand-point (which is our purpose here, is it not?) grains have lots of starch, fiber, cellulose, etc. and are not easily digested by humans. Nuts are mostly fat/oil with a bit of protein, little starch, and are more easily digested by humans.

#82 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM

Just checking in for today - still doing great on my coconut oil supplement and I can't wait to dig into some spring greens at the farmer's market this weekend.

What is everyone else eating these days with Spring now in season?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#83 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
So are you trying to say nuts and grains are similar? Not sure what the point of this was. 

It was in response to what had been asked and I clarified the nut is the fruit of the tree-a fact. In no place did I imply that nuts and grains are similar-not even close.

Speaking of nutrition and the comments about starches it is ironic to see recommendations for corn in a grain-free section, not to mention there lacks scientific study of a long term grain-free diet

things should not be misleading-grains and nuts are not the same

&

#84 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

It was in response to what had been asked and I clarified the nut is the fruit of the tree-a fact. In no place did I imply that nuts and grains are similar-not even close.

Speaking of nutrition and the comments about starches it is ironic to see recommendations for corn in a grain-free section, not to mention there lacks scientific study of a long term grain-free diet

things should not be misleading-grains and nuts are not the same

Ah, I think the confusion came from the grain/seed comments, where you seemed to believe all seeds=grain.  And nuts ARE seeds, or at least contain edible seeds within them (yes, botanically, nuts are fruit. But since you can plant them and have a tree grow, lay people consider them to be more like seeds. And most of us here are lay people). Anyway. Gotta love online communication, with it's lack of subtlety, impression and inflection!

I, too, am surprised to see so much mention of corn on this thread, which I thought was a GRAIN free thread, not a GLUTEN free thread. 

As for myself, I am avoiding all direct consumption of grain, eg., I am not putting anything I know to be a grain into my mouth (and that includes grain derivatives like HFCS).  One day I will also be able to avoid grain-fed meat, but can not afford the grass-fed/pastured items currently available to me.

#85 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

I, too, am surprised to see so much mention of corn on this thread, which I thought was a GRAIN free thread, not a GLUTEN free thread. 

It was my fault, I was the one who posted the cornbread recipe. I'm brand-new at this, and I originally assumed (correctly, I guess?) that corn was a grain. But then I'd been told by more than one person (online and IRL) that, no, it wasn't. Probably I should have researched it but I was just thinking that, hmm, it does seem different from wheat and barley and all. Since my last post on this thread I've concluded on my own that corn (including that corn bread recipe I posted) seems to have an adverse effect on me. I think the people who told me corn wasn't a grain were just gluten-free.

Sorry for any confusion, everyone.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#86 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM

No worries - I just figured you weren't being strict, or had started out strict and "fallen off the wagon" for whatever reason winky.gif

This post on the PaNu blog (kurt harris) details why cereal grains (to be more specific than we have been) are not good for us.

#87 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

Grain free is an aspect of this thread, along with Primal & Paleo diet support too.  I follow mostly a Primal diet which does not mandate being grain free, but keeping them to a small portion of one's diet.  Mark (ala Mark's Daily Apple & the Primal Blueprint) states he has decided to be grain-free but it's not a requirement of following the diet.  Overall the focus is on keeping carbs down around 100g per day, with a focus on fresh veggies & fruits instead but grains are not 100% off limits.

For me I like corn & rice - because they are gluten free, but I enjoy them in small quanties compared to the rest of my family who do not eat like I do.  It's a balancing act for us when it comes to mealtimes.

#88 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Quote:

I follow mostly a Primal diet which does not mandate being grain free, but keeping them to a small portion of one's diet. 

Thanks for clarifying! I'm doing Paleo, and you are not supposed to have grains at all, or even much in the way of starches (though I've been having yams a couple of times a week).

#89 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Oooh that's one diet I have not been able to read up much on yet.  Any recommendations for reading for someone who was curious?

orngbiggrin.gif

#90 of 237 Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Heya ladies - hoping for some input here. Took 19 mo DS to the allergist today and he tested positive for wheat (and his formula). He doesnt eat a LOT of it anyway, but he does typically have crackers a few times a week. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of a GF crunchy snack for him. He cant manage carrots yet.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page