Grain Free/Primal/Paleo for Spring!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 237 Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I like to take my breakfast (with coconut oil) as soon as I get up ..... so when I was advised to take clay .... it felt a bit of a struggle to re-organise my prefered routine ... I was not sure how long I had to wait then ....

so you say that one hour distance with clay first on an empty stomach is "safe" ?

#182 of 237 Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

the thing to understand is that clay is essentially adaptogenic.  so some people will feel better taking clay with food, others away from it.  the only way to know how you're going to respond is to do both for a week or so and feel the difference.

#183 of 237 Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM

What is the clay for? What does it add nutritionally?

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#184 of 237 Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 PM

it doesn't add anything.  however it does remove a whole bunch of junk.  it's a way to manage excess crap in the system, return to homeostasis etc.  doing so allows nutrients from foods to be more easily assimilated.  pathogens out, good stuff in.

#185 of 237 Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so, a question about clay....

I have some bags of it but I haven't been taking it because I am worried.

I am worried about the aluminum but I'm not sure that it's a problem. Is there any clay that is free of aluminum?

And, how do you take it, and how much?
#186 of 237 Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM

not all clay is created equal, so know your source.  Not all can be ingested.

I take 1-2 T. a day of dry clay (well, I hydrate it-duh) but yeah.  A good amount.

I used clay and we had verified metal issues in our family (we had environmental exposure apparently as all the profiles were the same.)  Anyway, clay was one of the therapeutic tools and aluminum levels came down.  I used (and still use) pascalite.

#187 of 237 Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

it doesn't add anything.  however it does remove a whole bunch of junk.  it's a way to manage excess crap in the system, return to homeostasis etc.  doing so allows nutrients from foods to be more easily assimilated.  pathogens out, good stuff in.

So would diatomacious earth do the same thing?  I just can't imagine ingesting clay.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#188 of 237 Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

So would diatomacious earth do the same thing?  I just can't imagine ingesting clay.

Dry clay is really not that different than DE. Are you trying to imagine eating a hunk of pottery clay? orngtongue.gif
#189 of 237 Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

clay is far more powerful in many ways than DE.  I like them both but if I could only have one clay would win.  hands down.

it's quite easy to ingest.  some even say pleasant.

#190 of 237 Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

I use liquid clay which is quite a bit easier to ingest.  I located a source of clay at my local HFS and hydrated it myself (2oz of clay to 1qt distilled water - and used an immersion blender to avoid clumps & chunks, because shaking didn't do the job) 

I take 1 tbs of liquid clay with 8oz of water in the morning and then I take 1 tbs of ground flax (in water/oj mix).  I've been doing this for a week just in the morning and next week I'll work on adding a second tbs before lunch.  I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, but again this is a slow process and will take sometime (months) to work up to the amounts of what PB is at.   This will be going hand in hand with adding some probiotics back into my diet (kefir, water kefir) to help balance my gut a bit better.  I'm riffing off of an idea PB that you posted a while ago in the allergies forum on this and tweaking it a bit.  

Oh and I just want to clarify this for me it has nothing to do with my primal diet but more with some of my gut issues incase anyone thought this was a part of a primal diet.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#191 of 237 Old 06-12-2011, 09:29 PM

That is interesting about the GBS+ and gut issues. I was GBS+ with my first child, and I definitely had gut issues. Between my first and second child though, I was on SCD, and when I was pregnant with my second, I was no longer on SCD but continued to eat mostly that way. I would occasionally have 1 or 2 pieces per day of sprouted grain bread, or an occasional Clif or Luna bar. But I was super strict about absolutely no sugar, no chocolate, etc. And then during that pregnancy, I was GBS negative.
#192 of 237 Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Sorry to distract from the interesting gut conversation, but wanted to check in and share that I have reached the end of my fourth week on the Primal/Paleo diet and have lost a total of 8.5 lbs! I pulled some summer clothes out of storage today and was Sooooo happy with how they fit and looked on me! I also seem to have kicked my sugar addiction, after lord knows how many decades of it, so that has been a wonderful bonus, too!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#193 of 237 Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post

Sorry to distract from the interesting gut conversation, but wanted to check in and share that I have reached the end of my fourth week on the Primal/Paleo diet and have lost a total of 8.5 lbs! I pulled some summer clothes out of storage today and was Sooooo happy with how they fit and looked on me! I also seem to have kicked my sugar addiction, after lord knows how many decades of it, so that has been a wonderful bonus, too!

I think the best part of it is being able to look at food rationally, and not from an addiction standpoint! This is the first time in my life I've been able to look at a treat of some sort and pass it up because I know how it will make me feel later, and can recognize that it isn't worth it.

But I wish I could say the same about clothing. I'm at my lowest weight since who-knows-when (I'm thinking possibly early teens), so nothing I have really fits.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#194 of 237 Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Congrats, Piglet! I just passed my 60th day (with far too many cheats greensad.gif ) and am down 15 pounds. Most amazing to me is the 4 inches gone from my waist! bigeyes.gif  And only an inch off my hips, which tells me my body really didn't like the way I was eating.

We are traveling for a week starting tomorrow, and I'm a bit worried about eating. Not that I won't be able to pass up the breads or the sweets, but that we will, of necessity, be eating places with little or nothing for me to eat. Have any of you done much travel while grain-free, and have tips to share?  I've already had to eat at burger joints, and just don't eat the bun, so I've got that down if fast food is the only option.

#195 of 237 Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM

We took a short vacation recently and chose to stay in a cabin with a kitchenette so we could bring our own food. We did end up eating out twice, however, and I've found it to be pretty easy. Pretty much every restaurant we went to had salads on the menu, and would happily top them off with grilled shrimp or chicken. That's basically what I ate. 

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#196 of 237 Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post

That's awesome.  It feels great to not feel that sugar craving all the time.  I just reached the end of my 3rd week and have lost 9lbs, but I have a LOT to lose.  I love being primal.  I ate a few balls of sesame chicken last night from a chinese restaurant.  I really paid for it.  I didn't expect my body to react so much to it.  It was a good reminder to stay on track.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#197 of 237 Old 06-22-2011, 02:46 PM

It's been a long time since I've been here. Since the new baby, I just don't get much computer time. I've still been mostly following a grain free diet (lost all my preg weight and another 10lbs! woohoo!). But for the past couple months sugar and grains have really been sneaking back into my diet. I also recently realized I need to try going completely dairy free (I was cow dairy free already, but could eat goat dairy and butter) to see if my 9mo's congestion will go away. So I'm back, looking for inspiration and motivation from you lovely ladies. love.gif

For the past 9 days I've been laid  up with strep throat, which has interrupted my cravings for sugar. Yay! Right now I'm really craving fresh green things. Gotta go search for some grain free, dairy free recipes to inspire me to start cooking again (after I clean my disaster of a kitchen, of course. sigh... maybe I should stay sick for another day. LOL.)

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#198 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 AM

does anybody do grain-free and struggle to keep weight ON? I am breastfeeding and already gluten free, just beginning to go grainfree, and I am terrified I won't be able to keep enough fats in me. Any tips? Or ideas? 

#199 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redclover View Post

does anybody do grain-free and struggle to keep weight ON? I am breastfeeding and already gluten free, just beginning to go grainfree, and I am terrified I won't be able to keep enough fats in me. Any tips? Or ideas? 

Yeah, I do. I am super hungry all the time and without grain, I am better in my cravings. I do eat alot of beef fat on what ever I am heating up and eat huge portions. Nut butters help to fill me up and give me the calories I need.
#200 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Yes. I've slowly but steadily dropped 30lbs from my weight immediately post-birth (and I only gained about 5lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight during that pregnancy), and my BMI is now around 20.5. My energy levels and immune system are great, and I'm not inappropriately hungry, so I don't think this is actually unhealthy, but enough is enough already!

Typical weight-gain suggestions tend to focus around adding more healthy fat. I'm not convinced that's right for a diet that is inherently lower carb. Fats promote satiety, and it's believed that one of the reasons low-carb diets are so effective is that people naturally eat fewer calories with less carbs and more fat. Including more fruit, carby veggies, and maybe legumes if tolerated might help more. Look at what people having trouble losing weight on grain-free diets are told to avoid, and eat that (as long as it still falls within your dietary restrictions) - usually dessert type stuff, and combos of fat and carbs.

#201 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:

I've found that people who can't keep weight on do better with starches from veggies.  potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes....things like that.

#202 of 237 Old 06-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Hi all!

I didn't have time to read through all the posts, so hopefully this isn't a repeat question:

Can I have some book/website recommendations on Paleo/Primal/Grain free?

I'm interested, but don't know much about it.

Thanks!

#203 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM

I haven't been on in forever but have some website rec's marksdailyapple.com, elanaspantry.com(awesome baked goods with almond and coconut flour), everydaypaleo.com

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#204 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

I haven't been on in forever but have some website rec's marksdailyapple.com, elanaspantry.com(awesome baked goods with almond and coconut flour), everydaypaleo.com

notes2.gif Thanks!!

#205 of 237 Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM

we dance pretty close to paleo here.  i've lost a couple clothing sizes, almost 3, without trying.  if losing weight is your goal, you need to jumpstart your thyroid with iodine and selenium.  i take 1 tsp of kelp powder, and 400mcg of seleniomethionine or seleneocysteine or ionic selenium.  if i make a bready thing for the kids, i combine my homemade gf flour with coconut flour, and i use tons of eggs and raw milk to up the protein.  like an oven pancake with 5 eggs and 1 cup milk to 1 cup flour mix.  i run a raw grassfed milk delivery microbusiness, but truth be told we do best without dairy.

you ladies with anemia might consider looking into concomitant deficiencies.  vitamin a deficiency often goes with anemia.  so eat liver every day or...i take big doses carlson natural vitamin a.  made from fish liver oil. 

here is a clarification from PaNu about the grain vs. seed issue:

Nice post. BUT, as a botanist I feel the need to clarify a few things (this does not negate any of your points re: nutrition, but it irks me when grains are referred to as "seeds").
1. A "fruit" is essentially the ovary of a flower, sometimes including accessory structures. Seeds form within the ovary, which protects the seeds and may aid in dispersal.
2. "Seeds" are fertilized ovules.
3. Therefore anything with seeds in it (excluding gymnosperms) is botanically a fruit, such as apple, berries, cucumber (a hard-rinded berry called a pepo), acorn, coconut, maple seed (a winged fruit called a samara), etc. etc..Rhubarb is NOT a fruit, it is a stem, thus botanically a vegetable.
4. Plants in the grass family (corn, wheat, ,rice, oats, etc.) have evolved their own special kind of fruit, which is called a "grain" or more technically, a caryopsis. A caryopsis is a one-seeded indehiscent fruit (the seeds are retained within the fruit at maturity) in which the ovary wall is tightly fused to the seed. Thus, it seems like a seed but it is in fact a fruit (=ovary +seed). In comparison, sunflowers have one-seeded fruits in which the ovary is NOT fused to the seed, thus you can "shell" a sunflower fruit (this type of fruit is called an achene). The wall of the grass seed (seed coat) is quite thin & tightly fused to the ovary wall. Thus, when you polish rice or wheat you are removing the ovary and the thin seed wall (together called the "bran"), and the embryo (the "germ"). The "hull" is made up of loose bracts that surround the grass flower/fruit, and is removed through winnowing (separate chaff from wheat). The ovary should not technically be referred to as a hull (as it is in your drawing) but as the "bran" - the hull has already been removed from the fruit in your picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryopsis
5. Quinoa and buckwheat are pseudograins (what you eat is the seed), & are not closely related to wheat, rice, corn, etc.

#206 of 237 Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM

I too like Mark's Daily Apple. Use the search function as he has written many, many articles on all kinds of subjects. 

A great source for recipes is PaleoDietLifestyle.com. 

To the mama looking how to *gain* some weight, I second the suggestion for sweet potatoes and other starchy veggie carbs. Even rice (though in the Paleo world it is the white rice that is preferred over the brown, as the husk - or whatever it is called - has a high concentration of phytins and other nasties in grains). 

For most of us dealing with excess weight due to dysfunctional insulin systems eating things like sweet potatoes sets us off just like eating a Mars bar. But for people who aren't suffering from that and who perhaps need to add calories, they are recommended.

Both sites I mentioned have articles about this topic.

#207 of 237 Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Today was my first day at a new job. Cookies were provided. It was so nice to be able to look at them, appreciate that they might taste good, decide I didn't need them, and not feel at all bad about that decision! The idea of having self-control around food is so new to me! And not just self-control, but not feeling deprived by the choice.

(I admit I had some potato chips and a soda, though. Soda is next on my list of things I need to drop entirely.)

#208 of 237 Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Ok, So I have been grain-free/primal for about 1 1/2 years (ever since my daughter was born). Now that I am pregnant again all I want to eat are CARBS! And not veggies... FRUIT AND BREAD! Why is this? I usually am totally fine without bread and limited fruit, but lately I have been eating bread a bit too much! Seriously, if it's offered, I can't resist. I still don't have it in my house, but I am thinking that I may want to get some. Eggs sound so gross most of the time. Breakfast this morning was a coconut milk/ banana/ egg yolk smoothie. Usually I wouldn't eat tons of bananas, but ACK that is all that sounds good. What do I do? Listen to my body? Am I gonna gain tons of weight now? HELP!

#209 of 237 Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM

I am not a regular on this thread, but still eat grain free most of the time...  I think of carbs as natural for "bulking up" so not so bad for growing babies, or even for children.  I'd go with listening to my body if I were you, but try to still rely on/fall back on the same primal diet mainstays you ate before.  I wouldn't restrict bananas while PG :) 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#210 of 237 Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffywandering View Post

Ok, So I have been grain-free/primal for about 1 1/2 years (ever since my daughter was born). Now that I am pregnant again all I want to eat are CARBS! And not veggies... FRUIT AND BREAD! Why is this? I usually am totally fine without bread and limited fruit, but lately I have been eating bread a bit too much! Seriously, if it's offered, I can't resist. I still don't have it in my house, but I am thinking that I may want to get some. Eggs sound so gross most of the time. Breakfast this morning was a coconut milk/ banana/ egg yolk smoothie. Usually I wouldn't eat tons of bananas, but ACK that is all that sounds good. What do I do? Listen to my body? Am I gonna gain tons of weight now? HELP!

I can't answer the why part, but when I was pregnant, things containing wheat were the only thing that really helped with morning sickness. And it was specifically wheat - bread, graham crackers, saltines, and flour tortillas all helped - If I ate a slice of bread, I could usually manage some protein, too. Corn tortillas, cornbread, rice, and other similar non-wheat alternatives didn't do a thing. At the time, we weren't no-grain, but didn't keep bread in the house or eat it regularly because a housemate was on a gluten-free diet long before the rest of it.

After the first trimester, I was able to eat mostly normally without the help of wheat.

I've heard other people say the same thing (either related to pregnancy or other sources of severe nausea).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page