Looking for Kefir Grains and a Kombucha - can a Canadian help me out please? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Title says it all!

I'm really desperate for some kefir grains and a kombucha. Can someone here in Canada help me out (I'm guessing you can't ship them across the border)?

I'd be happy to pay for shipping and packaging if someone has some spare.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#2 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/

I've never bought from them myself but thinking about it.

They ship to Canada.

#3 of 32 Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Save On Foods sells kefir grains in their natural foods department.  I don't know if you have that chain back east but you might check your local grocery stores.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#4 of 32 Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 AM

i have some Kefir water grains i could mail you.   If you're looking for Kefir dairy grains I think you can buy them in health food stores.

I don't know about transport of the grains. Would I have to dehydrate them first?

(Also, I'll be out of town until May 19, but I could do it after that....)

#5 of 32 Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM

I live  in Surrey BC,and I have Kombucha,let me know how I can sen to you the Kombucha mother,and I will sen to you

#6 of 32 Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM

You can order from http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ they ship to Canada :) ive ordered from them a few times and have never had a problem.

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#7 of 32 Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM

I get them at the Superstore, don't know if they have them at all Loblaws stores though.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#8 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 12:09 PM

You can start your own Kombucha mother if you can buy a bottle of raw Kombucha (such as GT's) at a health food store for 2.50-4$. That's how I did it. Just add the contents of the bottle in place of a scoby to the recipe.

A note of caution: Kombucha should not be taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women. It is good for detoxifying and eliminating, not what you want to be doing at those times.  I believe that kefir is ok at any time.

#9 of 32 Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Hi! Were you able to find your kefir grains? I'm also from London Ontario and I've been trying to find some myself.

#10 of 32 Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 PM

I'm from London,Ont  originally and just gave my mom some while she was visiting me in Florida. She's been making Kefir for a few weeks now with my grains.  It will probably take a few weeks to get enough but I'm sure she will have extra's at some point.  She has milk kefir grains. I forgot to give her the water kefir grains.

#11 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Hey! Yes, I might be interested then. I'm emailing with someone right now through www.torontoadvisors.com but I haven't even given them my address yet. It would be mailed from Toronto, but local would be better. Let me know...Thanks, Juliana

#12 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

I'm in Canada also, and I could mail you some water kefir grains.  Just send me a PM.

#13 of 32 Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaunton View Post

Hey! Yes, I might be interested then. I'm emailing with someone right now through www.torontoadvisors.com but I haven't even given them my address yet. It would be mailed from Toronto, but local would be better. Let me know...Thanks, Juliana

My mom has some available so PM me if you would like them.

#14 of 32 Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!

I don't know why, but I wasn't getting updates on this thread! Thanks everyone! PMs are coming your way!

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#15 of 32 Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post

My mom has some available so PM me if you would like them.

That would be great! What is a PM, and how do I do that? Ya, I'm new to this kind of communication. :)

#16 of 32 Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywearer_anon View Post

I'm in Canada also, and I could mail you some water kefir grains.  Just send me a PM.

I've read a bit about water kefir grains, and I'm interested in making coconut water kefir. I think I read that they can't be used for milk kefir though. Is that right?

#17 of 32 Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

You can use milk kefir grains and turn them into water kefir grains but then they can never be used for milk kefir again.  But you cannot use water kefir grain

for milk.  Have you seen the site called Yemoos.  Its a great learning site. Also, if you go to oneradionetworkcom they have interviews w the Kefir

lady and Amanda Love who talks about making coconut milk kefir.  This was very informative for me.  Just FYI you can make coconut milk kefir w milk kefir grains but you must always put the milk kefir grains back into milk.  I go 2 days making coconut milk kefir then put the grains back into the milk.

If you go on utube they have many videos on how to make milk kefir etc etc.  This is the link for Yemoos.

http://www.yemoos.com/

#18 of 32 Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Just FYI- I've made lots of water kefir w (water kefir grains).  There are endless ways to flavor it.  Utube has great demos  Also, made young coconut water kefir several times. The best part for me was scooping out the young coconut meat and blending it up w ripe banana in the vitamix.  OMG it was delicous-like pudding.

#19 of 32 Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Hi There,

Just found this thread...have never made kefir but am starting to research now.  Would you or your mother still have water kefir grains in london, ontario?

Thanks!

#20 of 32 Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Hi There,

Just found this thread...have never made kefir but am starting to research now.  Would you or your mother still have water kefir grains in london, ontario?

Thanks!

#21 of 32 Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM

I live in eastern Ontario and I am looking to make water keefir.  I am new to this and have been reading up on this and I plan on going over to UTube to check previously mentioned sites.  I also have celiac disease and I am wanting to make some sourdough bread with it. I picked up some keefir powder at the health food store, but it did not come with any info - so I tried just putting it in some milk (yesterday) and now it has become quite thick. I am unsure if this is how it is supposed to be.  I thought that it should have some water on top like a sourdough starter does?

Hope someone can help me.

#22 of 32 Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM

If you still need grains, I have water kefir grains...as for kombucha, you can grow your own SCOBY with Tonica Kombucha that they sell in health food stores. It's raw, and has strings of SCOBY left behind in it. Leave it out for a while covered in a mason jar, and a SCOBY will grow. I've done it a few times now, and I'm in the process of doing it again. Buy the plain one, though, or your SCOBY might turn funky.

#23 of 32 Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks for replying,

I just got back and I saw your message.  I will check at health food stores here in my area to see if they have this, but I some how doubt it.  I will let you know. 

#24 of 32 Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM

If they don't, let me know. I'll grow you one, too!
#25 of 32 Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 AM

I can't help with kefir because we just buy it.

We bought all our Kombucha supplies from http://www.sproutmaster.com/ .  Very happy with the product, customer service and the fact they don't ship Canada Post (we've had problems with CP all the time).  We bought the kit, and love the keg.  Had no trouble whatsoever with the scoby.  We may yet buy a heating pad for the keg for this winter, but we'll see.

We've been fermenting since February or March, and it's great.  I quit caffeine a long time ago, so we use organic decaf black tea from http://www.healthyplanet.com .  It's the only place I've been able to find decaf.

#26 of 32 Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM

I'm looking for Kombucha as well... I did drink it during pregnancy.. with no ill effects.. i guess it's like everything else... use your own judgment.

I am worried that it might reduce my milk supply (3 months pp currently) anyone have info on that?

I had my own scoby about 2 years ago... but I accidentally killed it!!! (i forgot bout it during a really long illness in the house.. me, kids, hubby.. EVERYONE was sick)

SO i would like to replace it and start fresh. I was drinking GT's during pregnancy

#27 of 32 Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 PM

gfNana - there are two types of kefir grains -- water kefir and milk kefir. And they can't be interchanged.  I think you said you used yours with milk - maybe they were water grains?  

(If its water kefir and it goes all thick its no good! I would strain the grains and try it again)

I've also heard that if you get powdered or dehydrated grains you have to make the batch 3 or more times to get it going. 

I have some water kefir grains if you want. I have dehydrated them and mailed them to a few different people! Just let me know if you want me to dry some for you.

#28 of 32 Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Just tried the CulturesForHealth.com site since it kept coming up in this thread as a good source and was excitedly adding sprouting seeds and other implements to my Milk Kefir order.... and the cheapest shipping option was $37!  The entire order was only $42 to start with.  I have tried the powdered starter from a local health food store and it's great but haven't successfully grown grains out of it PLUS read somewhere that the probiotic concentration is much greater when you make kefir with the grains.

Anyone else know where to find some milk kefir grains in Canada that aren't going to cost an arm and a leg? (I looked at the sproutmaster site and that's looking like a good option for sprouting and kombucha, but no kefir there)  I liked the idea that the grains from CFH were coming inside a starter kit since I ALSO cannot find a good plastic strainer anywhere...

#29 of 32 Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 AM

I haven't found a good source that is light on the shipping either. Unless you get from an actual PERSON.. where the culture it self is free and you just pay to mail it.

Blt178 likes this.
#30 of 32 Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM

FullMoonMama... that is just what I decided to do.  Found this list of people online offering their grains and am going to take a chance.  (Since I don't personally know anyone who has done their own!) :)

http://www.torontoadvisors.com/suppliers?keywords=canada

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page