Another 1/4 beef ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Folks with more experience in buying bulk meat than me, can you tell me about how many steaks we can expect from this 1/4? We wanted 3/4" steaks and more ground than roast, but this one is already pre-processed coz we got in on it late. I'm sure it will still be great, I'm just wondering if someone can estimate the # of steaks and roasts?

Here's how that 1/4 is processed:

1" thick

Rib and

T-bone steaks

Sirloin steaks

3-4 lb roasts

Sirloin tip roast

chuck and

arm roast

rump and

pikes peak roast

hamburger in 1# pkgs

flank steak

soup bones

brisket

short ribs

Heart,

liver,

dog bones

Thanks for any info you can share!

Happy and in love with my family!
#2 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM

We got a hindquarter a little while ago, I'll see if I can remember what we got...ours was a smallish cow too.

I know we got around ~34lb of ground beef.  We got maybe 8 sirloin steaks and maybe 5 or so T-bones and also a few porterhouses, 1 flank steak.  I asked for 3-4lb roasts and we got quite a few of those...8 or 9 maybe?  They were mostly just labeled "roast" so I'm not sure what kinds they were, although I know at least 3 of them were sirloin tip.  I got 4 crosscut shanks (labeled soup bones).  I got the whole tail not cut into oxtails...I don't know why they would do that, lol, it's funny to me that I have a whole tail in the freezer.  We also got the heart and I think they gave us the liver of like every cow they butchered because we got like 15lbs of the stuff (to be honest I did say I would take organs no one wanted, but sheesh).  We also got the tongue bc of my organ meat request.  I did ask for bones but all I got were the 4 crosscut shanks.  I was expecting some rib stuff but I didn't get any...the closest I got was my one flank steak.

Hope that was at least somewhat helpful!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you for this! We did decide to go with that pre-processed 1/4 rather than wait for another month to get custom cuts. Our farm lady delivered it to our door yesterday joy.gif We ended up with about what you did, too. I wish that we got more bones! But a lot of the steaks are bone-in, so I will just freeze them all together until we have enough for a batch of beef broth.

Happy and in love with my family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page