Protein/Fat Snacks for Kids with Allergies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please hit me with your TF snack ideas, even the obvious ones.  Just got the allergy results on my big kids and here's what's off the menu: dairy, eggs, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, peas, kidney beans and lentils.  Soy, pecans, coconut, hazelnuts, lima beans, walnuts, and green beans are welcome every four days. 

Sooo, that leaves us meat, I guess.  Maybe the other nuts that weren't tested for (though maybe we should avoid those too, to be safe).

Allergy boy has been a dairy-fiend all his days and is not much of a meat-eater.  Cheese and nut butters were always my go-to protein snacks. 

My ideas so far are:  Tanka Bars & Jerky ($Cha-Ching!$), Tuna (which he loves), Hot Dogs (maybe once a week is okay). 

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#2 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 AM

I am DF and EF. For a snack I may have a precooked piece of chicken, just cold from the fridge, cashew butter, an apple, chicken sausage, dark chocolate, potato chips:bag, dates... I will think of more ideas..
#3 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 AM
JMJ

pumpkin seeds or put together a snack mix with what he can have, and irregularly, add walnuts, coconut flakes, etc, to keep it interesting

vegetable sticks with homemade hummus

jerky

kebabs

crackers and roe

canned sardines, oysters, kipper snacks, etc

smoked salmon

#4 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you.  I'm just going to have to plan ahead and have precooked meat on hand.  They will both eat dried sardines and nori, which I remembered today.  A Korean American friend mentioned that dried anchovies are yummy so I'll have to go look for those.  I'm worried about calcium, too, so all about little fish with bones.

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#5 of 14 Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Do you do bone broth or nettles infusions for calcium?
#6 of 14 Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 AM

Oh and thanks JMJ about reminding me about hummus and sardines! And good hummus recipes?
#7 of 14 Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 AM
JMJ

I just soak and boil the chickpeas with several cloves of garlic for a few hours.  When they are done, drain and reserve the cooking liquid.  While hot, blend with olive oil, lemon juice, (sorry, I don't measure anything) salt, pepper, and choice of herbs to taste (I love coriander and chives, but you can do any).  You could also add roasted peppers or any other seasoning you enjoy.  Also add in as much of the cooking liquid as you need to get it to blend well.  Store in the refrigerator.  It should be fine for at least a week, if not more.

#8 of 14 Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 AM

Consider cashew, it is a tropical nut, more closely related to mango, not necessarily related to the other tree nuts (like walnuts and pecans for example). You can make 'cheeze' and other things out of it.

#9 of 14 Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 AM

I second hummus and sardines! Salmon patties are also good.  How about guacamole? It is not high protein, but still healthy.    

You said your DC could have hazelnuts. I make a “nutella” for mine out of hazelnut butter, maple syrup, organic cocoa powder and a little organic dehydrated goat’s whey powder. On good, sourdough spelt bread it is a healthy guilt free snack! Just realised no dairy..you can easily leave out the whey powder.

#10 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.  Bone broth - yes.  I try to use it whenever I can.  Nettle infusion was a good reminder.  I infused it with a few chunks of ginger to cut the grassy taste some.  You would think I was torturing the kids to get them to drink it the first day.  Today they drank much more - I mixed it with OJ (which we keep on hand for taking CLO) and they tolerated it through a straw.  Now I'm thinking that I'll need to find some other way to get it in them since I guess the calcium in the nettle infusion inhibits Vitamin C absorption.  Then again, Calcium is my priority, not C.  Any ideas on how to get kids to drink nettle infusion?

I'm going to meet with the naturopath today to figure out what is and isn't okay for my boy.  Good to know that cashews are probably okay. 

I put hummus in their lunchboxes today with rice tortilla chips.  In the past they've rejected hummus - why, I dunno - they usually love beans.  Fingers are crossed!  Hunger can be a good motivator to try new things.

#11 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 PM

I infuse mine with peppermint and my 4 yr old loves it and my almost 2 yr old begs me for nettles and cries when I don't give him the whole cup. I judt drink it myself ad say hey son, would you like some? And he comes running. I tell my kids how nice it will make their hair and skin and they help me put it out in the sun if we want to brew it out there. We also only ever drink it chilled. I make it: 1 heaping tablespoon of dried nettles per cup of boiling water and steep it 4 hours.
#12 of 14 Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM

He can still have corn.  What about homemade taquitos?  That wouldn't have egg and no dairy if you leave out the cheese.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#13 of 14 Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Taquitos sound great.  My sole taquito experience was processed junk from the freezer - they were pretty yummy, I remember.  Do you have a recipe for the real thing?

#14 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnybee View Post

Please hit me with your TF snack ideas, even the obvious ones.  Just got the allergy results on my big kids and here's what's off the menu: dairy, eggs, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, peas, kidney beans and lentils.  Soy, pecans, coconut, hazelnuts, lima beans, walnuts, and green beans are welcome every four days. 

Sooo, that leaves us meat, I guess.  Maybe the other nuts that weren't tested for (though maybe we should avoid those too, to be safe).

Allergy boy has been a dairy-fiend all his days and is not much of a meat-eater.  Cheese and nut butters were always my go-to protein snacks. 

My ideas so far are:  Tanka Bars & Jerky ($Cha-Ching!$), Tuna (which he loves), Hot Dogs (maybe once a week is okay). 

The one thing I would caution about the dairy and egg allergy, is that the tests are testing for an allergy to CAFO and processed versions.
Are you able , or have you fed them grass fed raw dairy, and eggs from chickens on real pasture?

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page