TF approach to treating Candida - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could anyone here tell me if Traditional food approach to treating Candida is any different that the more common known anti Candida diet (no sugar of any kind, even fruit, no grains, no dairy, no tea or coffee or anything fermented)? Obviously there are some similarities: no sugar or grains, but how does TF stand on dairy or fruit? And what about antifungals? And I know the TF stand on pysillum husk (and I agree!) I am just curious and I’ve looked on the WAPF site but have not found anything. Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 AM

I think the difference is that some fermented foods are ok with the use of pro-biotics.  Then gradually introducing some fruits back into the diet.  It seems that when the gut wall is healed, then can introduce more. 

I am still learning this as well. 

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/digestive-disorders/1955-food-allergies?qh=YToxOntpOjA7czo3OiJjYW5kaWRhIjt9

Toward the bottom of the article.

'09   
#3 of 15 Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I think the TF approach is okay with fermented foods but I wish I could find more articles on it.

#4 of 15 Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

In anycase it is wishful thinking on my  part because I do not feel like giving up my black tea w/ milk, kefir and my kumbucha tea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post

Yes I think the TF approach is okay with fermented foods but I wish I could find more articles on it.

#5 of 15 Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM

I know when I was looking at anti-candida stuff, the best thing I found was a combination of GAPS and anti-candida diets.  Basically, GAPS allows honey and weak coffee/tea, but I was going to cut that out for a while too.  I never ended up doing this because GAPS is just not in our budget (too meat heavy) and I doubt it will be anytime in the future, though I'm sure I'd benefit greatly from it.

#6 of 15 Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am very intrigued by the GAPS diet. It is also mentioned in the link xantho sent . I’d never heard of it before. 

It makes sense to heal the gut first.  

So, what I understand, one of the fundamental differences is the Gaps/TF  actually removes fibre from the diet, where as the anti-Candida diet usually recommends taking a fibre supplement as well as eating raw vegetables. (I only know the yeast buster kit available in Canada, which I have done before). Another difference is the standard anti-Candida diet eliminates not only all forms of sugar, but all fermented foods as well, where as in the GAPS, it looks like they are allowed.

Very interesting. Have any of you tried it? Maybe I should have posted this in the health forum, but I was particularly interested in the TF approach.

#7 of 15 Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 AM

I have not tried the complete diet.  We are half TF folks.  I can not get into all of it.  We ferment a ton, drink kombucha, grass fed beef, raw milk, sprout our grains, make cheese/butter, no soy, a really limit processed foods, etc...

I like sugar.  Try to limit that to raw honey but I like a 90% cocoa every now and then thumb.gif

'09   
#8 of 15 Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Neither I nor my family could follow any diet 100%! We eat local hormone anti-biotic free beef and chicken, wild fish. We soak our beans and grains, eat sourdough bread, kefir and yogurt and organic fruits and vegetables, but we cannot give up pasta, the occasional pizza,restaurant food or sweets. I was interested in an anti candida diet because I had to take antibiotics recently. I figure the diet could not hurt my family either, but they would never be able follow GAPS  completly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

I have not tried the complete diet.  We are half TF folks.  I can not get into all of it.  We ferment a ton, drink kombucha, grass fed beef, raw milk, sprout our grains, make cheese/butter, no soy, a really limit processed foods, etc...

I like sugar.  Try to limit that to raw honey but I like a 90% cocoa every now and then thumb.gif

#9 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 AM
JMJ

Check out this old thread.

#10 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM

WOW!  Thank you for finding this link. 

Reading, reading, reading. 

I am glad to confirm that candida (some) is a- ok.  I am just a sugar junkie at heart.  Super limited these days, but the addiction is still there. 

Jalilah... thank you for your post.  I forget sometimes that it is just fine not doing a "complete diet".  Get in my head...  luckily my gut tells me it is fine!  thumb.gif

'09   
#11 of 15 Old 05-03-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I must have missed this  really interesting and different from anything I've read

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Check out this old thread.

#12 of 15 Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM
JMJ

I found it to be very interesting, and I loved the diversity of opinion by knowledgeable people on that threat and recommend it to a lot of people.  There's no consensus, just information and an emphasis on making an informed decision about how to take care of your own body.

Xantho, an addiction to sugar concerns me.  I don't think that we should ever feel controlled by the foods that we eat, and if something is causing an addiction in us, that is usually a sign that something is going wrong, that we are getting too much.  Going on a sugar-free trial for a time (1 week to 1 month or more if you like) might not be a bad idea for you to break the addiction.  With sugar, sometimes we have to take it out completely to let our bodies heal before we can add it back in in moderation.  This is the basis for a lot of the yeast diets.  After all, traditional diets did not include sugar every day.

#13 of 15 Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post

And I know the TF stand on pysillum husk

Could you please share?

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#14 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I KNOW I read somewhere either in Nourishing Traditions or the WAPF that Psyllium seed husks  are supposed to be bad but now that I am looking for where I read it I can't find anything!

I'll continue to look when I have more time, but I think  the idea is that Psyllium makes the problem worse long term. I am still learning about this that is why I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettleTea View Post

Could you please share?

#15 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Good to know. My husband bought some Psyllium to take for a yeast detox thing he is doing. I've read the Susan Weed letter and knew Pau d'Arco tea makes it worse. I didn't know Psyllium did as well.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page