I want to make pickles, please help... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This will be my first attempt at making a fermented veggie outside of kefir.  I want to try pickles. I won't use whey due to my son's dairy allergy. I want to use vinegar I guess, salt and garlic. Can I do it in a canning jar? How do I do it? I have two books, NT and Wild Fermentation. I don't have the crock required from Wild Fermentation and again, I won't use whey like NT says.Thanks for your help!

#2 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM

I (loosely) followed the Wild Fermentation recipe for sour pickles (except I didn't let mine ferment as long...transferred them to the fridge before they were fully sour). I used WF's proportions for a brine solution (just salt and water...you don't use vinegar for fermented pickles) and poured it over the cuke slices. I added whatever herbs/spices I liked/had on hand--peppercorns, dill, garlic, mustard seed. Katz says to use oak or other  leaves to keep the pickles crunchy..I think you can also use strawberry leaves. I don't use a crock--just put everything directly in a mason jar. I leave it uncovered or lightly covered with a coffee filter or paper towel and taste everyday. When they start tasting like pickles, I put the lid on the jar and move to the fridge. Just keep an eye on them, esp. in warm weather-I've had mine go from pickles to mold/mush overnight.

#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. I think I will try it. Do fermented pickles taste vastly different that store bought pickles?

#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 PM

If you make pickles that are more salty than you really want then you get another chance to add flavor to them by draining the brine and adding a flavored liquid with less or no salt.  So yes, you can make the pickles have a much wider variety of flavors.  You must take care that your pickles don't rot by introducing either acids , sugars, or keeping the low salt pickles refrigerated.

#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM

you don't need a crock, you can use food grade buckets that you can buy from lowes or another hardware store for a few dollars.  Just get 2 buckets, put your cucumbers, salt and water in one and put the other bucket on top and weight it down so that the water level come up between the buckets.  easy peasy. 

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page