Ok! Extremely Frustrated and Confused about my Sourdough! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!  I am BRAND new here! :)  But have been holding unto this thread like a sourdough BIBLE!  hahaha!  I have read through it several times, and am trying to learn all I can. Problem is, I am becoming more and more confused the further into my sourdough journey I venture. 

So, I have SEVERAL questions, and just find myself becoming more and more confused and frustrated the more I try to dig and research these topics out. I am hoping someone can help me. Here are my questions: 

1. I do NOT like SOUR tasting bread. However, I like the idea of having my own self-propagating starter. Is there any way to have a starter that will prodice bread that is not SOUR? 

2. That being said, I ordered 2 starters from a lady on ETSY, not knowing anything about San Francisco Sourdough (which is reportedly a Very Sour bread), I now own 2 starters made from her starters. A whole wheat San Fran, and an EXTRA sour san fran.  Do I need to TOSS these and start all over with something else, or is there ANY way to salvage these from my use AND all the EXTRA starter I have in the fridge from daily feedings? My intention was to use the extra fro pancakes, muffins, etc. I have a good 3 cups of each stored in the fridge of EACH that I would hate to waste, but if you think there is no way for me to use them and enjoy them, then please let me know so I won't become more frustrated and waste more ingredients. 

3. Those of you familiar with Friendship bread.. Has anyone had success with a starter of this kind withOUT using commercial yeast? 

4. Has anyone had success using a SOUR sourdough starter in a bread recipe that did NOT turn out sour? 

This is all I'll ask at this time, since the list goes on and on since I'm now so confused. lol  

Thanks for any help,

n

#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM

What makes the bread sour is the rise time. If you can reduce the rise time of the bread, you will have a less sour product. You can do that my adding another leavening agent (commercial yeast which I see you're not trying to do) or even using more starter so that the bread rises faster.I would definitely not dump those starters.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post

What makes the bread sour is the rise time. If you can reduce the rise time of the bread, you will have a less sour product. You can do that my adding another leavening agent (commercial yeast which I see you're not trying to do) or even using more starter so that the bread rises faster.I would definitely not dump those starters.

This is true, but the sourness of the starter also affects things.  We do not like sour bread either (DH is esp sensitive about what he'll eat for breakfast toast) and I've gone through several starters before I found one that works well for us.  The flour also determines things a great deal: I find spelt sourdough not at all sour (though it has the pleasant sourdough aroma) whereas even with the mildest starter, whole wheat will have a tang.  I've never made one with white flour though.

This is a good article on sourdough "sourness" http://www.sourdoughhome.com/sour.html

For what it's worth, the starter I have had the least sour flavor with is the Northern Italian starter from a guy on ebay.  In general all the European origin starts I've had were less sour than the American ones, including ones I've started on my own.  But, I love that Northern Italian starter (http://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-ITALIAN-SOURDOUGH-STARTER-/150487405407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2309bf935f) and use it not only for bread but for all sorts of sweet doughs.  In fact, it is now the only starter I have since it wasn't worth it for me to maintain several different ones.

#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  you both have been very helpful!  I can try BOTH of these things and see what I can make happen!  Have either of you tried any outstanding recipes?? 

#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 AM

I have a couple good recipes that aren't sour at all, but my starter isn't particularly sour starter. I actually wish it was more sour sometimes, but I think for overall breadmaking, I'm pretty happy with it. I'll have to get back to you with the recipe, though, my kids are sleeping upstairs and I'm trying to keep them that way, LOL.

#6 of 6 Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM

Check out this blog post.  http://gnowfglins.com/2011/04/26/6-tips-to-prevent-sour-sourdough/

This blog has some good sour dough tips and recipes. :) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page