beef tallow v. lard - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi all, i'm new to the site but have seen some good stuff on here. i'm hoping ya'll can help me out with a question. i've been really in to making my own stocks lately (beef and chicken, so far), ever since getting my hands on a copy of Nourishing Traditions. does anyone know if the fat that comes to the top of the stock constitutes beef tallow? is that fat "clean" enough to cook with? i'm thinking about making tamales with all the leftover meat from the stock making, and am wondering if that beef fat would be better to use than store-bought lard (which tends to come from factory meat, not grass-fed). and how would i store this fat?

thanks much!

candise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Its perfectly good to use and def better than storebought lard.

As for storage, a clean jar in the fridge serves me well (pack it hot so it doesnt grow mold).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

hi cristeen! thanks for the reply. so, you've done this before...saved the fat from making stock? i'll have to pack the fat cold, as that's how it is when i remove it from the top of the stock - it turns in to a pale, hard "plug" at the top of the stock jar when refrigerated. do you recommend i heat the cooled fat back up then pack it away hot? also, how long does it stay good in the fridge? thanks again!

#4 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes, heat it back up. You can put the jar in a pan of hot water and let it sit. The air pockets + contamnation from the stock= mold growth. Packed hot, it will keep in the fridge for ages, because the fat itself doesnt really go bad when kept cold.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

awesome. thanks for the tip, cristeen!

#6 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 AM

yes, heat it up and pour it into jars.  i love this fat, it's great for making fries and onions rings or beef dripping pastry.  the meat from your stock may not be very tasty, depending on how long you've cooked it.  

if you decide you want lard, you can order fatback from some online sources or wheedle your butcher into getting it if you have a place (such as whole foods) that sells pastured pork.  or call up some local farmers.  fatback is super easy to render (do it in the oven, it comes out prettier).  and lard is very useful. 

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#7 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

*just* saw your post, prancie. thanks for the tips!

#8 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 PM

I save my tallow, but whenever I pull the cold fat off the stock I always seem to get some stock stuck to it.  I throw it in a pot to boil off all the stock.  I'll also have some scum in the bottom (I'm not great at skimming), so I'll try to keep the scum on the bottom of the put as I pour the fat into my jar.  Then I usually use the scummy fat right off or I'll put it back in with my stock.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#9 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

good to know, thanks Lazurii! i also ended up pulling off some of the gelatinous stock with the fat "plug" at the top, so i tried washing it off! it worked! not sure if that's the best way to do it, but it was pretty easy and thorough. 

do you know how long it's ok to keep the fat in the fridge between making the stock and re-boiling the fat to "cleanse" before canning it up hot and sticking in fridge for future use?

thanks!

#10 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM

I've left my fat on top of the broth for 3-4 days before jarring it.  I've also frozen stock with fat on top for a few weeks, let it thaw in the fridge, and continued as usual.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page