Need suggestions on where to find kefir grains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! And like the title states... I am trying to find where I can purchase milk kefir grains to make my own for the family.  I can't justify shelling out $$ for this, but we love drinking it!

I haven't been able to find them at my local HFS and I've been looking in the trading post here a bit. So does anyone have a recommendation  where they purchase their grains from?

TIA!

Kate

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM

I took a fermentation class at my local co-op, and a person there offered her grains if anyone wanted some... I'm not sure where you're at, so that really doesn't help much... :/  Perhaps a posting at the local health food store?

Good luck!

Rainy

#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'll see if my HFS is offering any classes in fermentation coming up.  Mostly the classes range from sustainable living to cooking with local seasonal offerings.  I haven't seen fermentation being offered before, but it doesn't hurt to ask! smile.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 AM

I've purchased them from culturesforhealth.com before, but they are pretty pricey there. They didn't used to be, and I'm not sure why they are so much, but they work and the customer service is excellent. In theory, if you buy the grains, you shouldn't have to buy them again. However, dh put them all in a smoothy one day, by accident, and just recently fed them to the goats. He was wondering what the clumps were in the gaot milk. DUH. I need to get some more. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page