OT: Google searches and the WAPF site - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Today I was just looking for some good articles about butter, and did a search for "butter is healthy."

A page of results came back, but next to the hit for the WAPF article, "Why Butter is Better," and ONLY next to this hit, was this sentence: "block all westonaprice.org results." 

All the other links have the usual choices of "cached" or "similar" next to them.

I wrote the the WAPF webmaster about it, then I surfed around and did other stuff on the Internet. 

Now when I do the search, there's nothing next to the WAPF link, not even  "cached" or "similar."  headscratch.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's SO weird! I've never seen that before!

mdcblog5.gif  PrenatalCoach.com

…my journey to motherhood through nourishing foods & conscious conception/pregnancy/birth

Expecting Baby #1 June 2012

#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM

I've been noticing something was up, I thought is was the WAPF site.  I'm new to TF, so I've been looking a ton of stuff up and every time I click on a WAPF link it shows up blank.  Same thing happens if I click on links in blog posts. 

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 PM
kl5

That is so bizarre and really infuriating. I am a researcher by profession and nature and Google is my, well, everything. I know they take a really hard line against tricks webmasters sometimes use to make their pages appear higher up in search results, often resulting in hits being buried pages and pages into a search result. But I have never seen the block option. That did not come up on my search, but results (except when searching explicitly for the Weston A. Price Foundation) came up with no "similar" or "cached"  option and the links did not load any content when clicked. I know there is a Google user forum, but wouldn't even know where to begin to bring this to Google's attention or get an answer as to why it is happening. Anyone more tech savvy who can point us in the right direction?

ETA: Here is more information about the blocking option. Though it doesn't explain why that was the only site with the block option and why it is not loading for some folks and appears without the cached and similar options. It makes me angry to think that it is getting easier and easier for people to completely protect themselves from exposure to ideas that they don't (think they) agree with (thinking of the left or right-leaning cable news channels, as one example in a rapidly expanding narrow-viewpoint universe). Google is getting too powerful for its (our) own good. Surprise.

#5 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM
kl5

So, there are two issues it seems. The first is the blocking option. It looks like that is offered for any site you click on and click back to the results list. That is how it worked for me, so I don't think it is any purposeful discrimination on Google's part with that feature. The other issue is the pages not loading. That seems to be a problem with the WAPF site itself not providing identity information to Google, and thus some of its content is getting blocked (maybe not by Google, but by the browser...? not sure). That is likely something the WAPF webmaster can fix (and hopefully will).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page