Where do you get your coconut milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
aba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been buying Edward & Sons Native Forest coconut milk because it's marked organic and is supposed to be in BPA-free cans. 

However, their quality is really inconsistent.  I ordered a case from Amazon.com and 30% of the cans were really dented badly -- the were packed that way since it couldn't have happened in shipping.  Also, normally their milk is really thick and creamy, but this last can I opened was so watery it spilled when I opened it since I wasn't expecting that. 

I tried to call the company but only get voice mail and no one calls me back.  ARGH!

How important is organic in coconut milk anyway since the skin is so thick?  And is there ANY reliable and reasonably priced coconut milk out there?  I would buy in bulk since we use that for everything, including yogurt. 

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 AM

I don't know where you live, but I order from Azure Standard and it's a decent price for the Thai brand. $20.55 for 12 cans ($1.71 ea). They also have a different brand but it's more. There are drop points for Azure in the northwest. http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/4759/

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 4 Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We buy whatever the Asian food store has, which isn't the healthiest way to go about it I'm sure, but less expensive.

We've found with many brands that the milk is more liquid in the summer. This could be due to seasonal differences in the coconuts, but I'm going to guess it's actually related to the low melting point of coconut oil. That would be easy enough to test - stick it in the fridge for a day or two before opening, and see if it more closely resembles what you get in the winter.

Personally, we're switching to making coconut milk from unsweetened shredded coconut. MUCH cheaper than the canned stuff, even with organic coconut, and way better tasting, but it's going to take some experimenting to figure out how to get it to get a similar consistency.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 4 Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM

I buy Thai Kitchen brand from Azure Standard, as well.  I've tried Native Forest but I like the consistency of Thai Kitchen better.  Good luck on your search!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page