Intense meat cravings while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share an experience I've been having since becoming a Mom.  Pre-baby my husband and I ate very little meat and went through periods of time where we were vegetarian/vegan.  I never had much desire for meat, but we had started eating a little meat again right before I got pregnant.  However, once morning sickness kicked in I found meat absolutely repugnant and had thought I was going to have to raise the baby vegetarian.  I was slightly anemic during pregnancy and later on I was able to start eating meat again, but never had much of a desire for it.  During this time my husband and I started buying organic, grass-fed raw milk from a local farmer friend and started reading up on traditional foods. 

As soon as I had our son (one year ago this week), I began experiencing intense cravings for meat.  I actually started dreaming about eating big pieces of red meat.  It seems that since starting breastfeeding I have some intense protein demands that need to be met.  For the last year we've been eating local, grass-fed meat, drinking our raw milk, eating lots of vegetables and aiming for only whole, unprocessed foods.  Both of us have never felt better and are in excellent shape (we are running a marathon (him)/half marathon (me) in two weeks!  Something we had tried when veg and couldn't accomplish).  I had gained 50 lbs during pregnancy and since then have lost it all and then some.  The meat cravings are still there and I often find myself hungry at night and dreaming of eating meat.  My son is 1 this week and we are still going strong with breastfeeding.

Has anyone else experienced this?  What are your thoughts on meat cravings and breastfeeding?  I have truly taken the importance of traditional foods to heart due to this experience!

#2 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 11:28 AM

I would indulge it if you can afford to buy the good quality meat and not have to switch to cheap stuff. Also include eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, beans, tofu if you can, etc... If you know your body well enough to know you are craving it for good reasons and not comfort (which it doesn't sound like you are) than go right on! I have always believed the body knows what it wants/needs if we try to understand the signals. You are probably replenishing some lost nutrients still so go right ahead! I did have an increased appetite including lots of meat and milk for a few months after birth, but it has died down a lot lately (18 months now)

#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 PM

i experienced that!  I continue to now and again even though I'm no longer nursing.  I indulge and make sure to get the best meat I can.  I always feel much better for it!

#4 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM

One of my dearest friends experienced exactly that! They went from vegetarian to eating fish, then with subsequent kids added chicken and turkey. She told me that she really, really craved meat and even dreamed of it like you did! 

Honestly, we humans *are* omnivores, and I hope I don't offend anybody (as this is just my opinion) but we are meant to eat some meat and I can't wonder at your body telling you it needs meat, especially when you have a kid to nurse! So go ahead, enjoy!! ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page