Mothering Forum banner

What to do with soured raw milk

609 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bantams 
#1 ·
I bought a half gallon of raw milk over the weekend. I've never had the opportunity to buy it before, and didn't realize it would sour so quickly. I'm not a big milk drinker, so I got once nice glass of milk, and now it's too sour to drink. What can I do with it? I don't have the stuff to make kefir or yogurt (never made either before).

#2 ·
Use it to soak your grains. I have a couple gallons that went sour on me
bawling.gif
and we'll be using it for a heck of a lot of pancakes and bread in the next few days. I may freeze some of the sour gallons to use for pancakes later too. Anyone know if that would be okay?

#5 ·
I just made two batches of bread pudding. I also froze some to use in my bread recipe - 3/4 cup per ziploc.. I've also found that if I catch it in time, I can heat the milk and use it in my coffee without a terrible taste

#6 ·
I would be concerned that your raw milk soured after only a few days. Good raw milk should last 7-10 days, sometimes longer, but even then it won't be "sour" - just off tasting.

Did you keep it cold enough? What type of container was it in? Souring would be an issue of dirty milk bottles, improper chilling procedure, or unsanitary milking practices.

But sour milk is great for baking with. Just don't use it in soups or sauces (anything liquid that would be heated) since it will curdle.

You won't be able to make cultured dairy products (such as yogurt/kefir) with soured milk - since it is already "cultured" with the wrong bacteria.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.