Not sure if I should use this stock... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So about a week and a half ago, I got clever and decided to try simmering a chicken for stock overnight to beat the heat wave we were having.  I put everything in the pot, and went to turn the burner on low.  The 'hot surface' light came on (or maybe it was the cooktop on light, I can't remember now) and I thought I was good to go.  I woke up the next morning and went to check on things.  I immediately noticed no distinct chicken stock smell, and instinctively put my hands on the sides of the pot--cold.  Then I noticed the burner wasn't lighting up at all, and realized the knob must have been turned just enough to trigger the lights to turn on, but not the burner itself.  So, not know what else to do, I brought the pot to a boil and turned it back to low to simmer for several hours.  I then jarred it up, reserving the meat and put the whole thing in my freezer.  I have only used about 2 cups of the chicken stock last week to cook our rice in.  I didn't notice any symptoms with me. My DH got a touch of diarrhea, however the same night we went out to a sports bar where he had a couple glasses of beer, which usually gives him diarrhea anyway, especially since it had been quite a few months since he last had beer. So.....should I scrap what's left in my freezer?  BTW, I'm 36 1/2 weeks pregnant and my original plan was to have the stock and chicken ready to make chicken noodle soup after I give birth.  I'm scheduled to get another free range chicken towards the end of the month, so I could conceivably make another batch before the baby arrives, but I'm struggling more with being too darn frugal--those chickens ain't cheap, and I would be throwing away the whole thing!  But at the same time, the last thing I want is food poisoning after I give birth...that would suck!  Thoughts?

#2 of 7 Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 PM

it sounds like you are fine to use it since you already used it once.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#3 of 7 Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Um... no.  No.  No.  And I am so incredibly not a germ freak.  I ate raw sushi when I was pregnant.  I drink breakfast smoothies with raw kefir fermented on my counter top and raw eggs.  But this stock is Bad News.  If you'd cooked it then turned it off to cool and forgot about it, I might say go for it, but not like this.  A raw chicken stewing in a lovely germ bath in the ideal germ incubation temperature range for 8 hours? 

The problem isn't the germs themselves - they are pretty effectively killed when you boiled the stock.  But the toxins produced by those germs are much more persistent.  Those're what'll knock you on yer arse.

A chicken isn't as expensive as an ER visit.  Especially when you're pregnant.

ETA: oh, and - if your hub already had diarhea from it, that should be a huge red flag.

#4 of 7 Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I reread my post and realized that it does sound pretty darn risky to me, and I'm not a germ freak either.  The more I think about it, the more I would just absolutely kick myself if either my husband or me got sick right after having a baby.  I'll just hold out and make stock with my next chicken. I'm sure the baby's not going anywhere for another week or so!

#5 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

As someone who has had food poisoning from staph toxins in bad chicken - SO not worth it. I would pay $30 for another chicken vs risking getting sick like that again. A touch of diarrhea would be nothing. I was rejecting all food violently for 3 straight days, and only able to eat tiny bites like a baby bird for a week after. Not something you want to risk while pg or pp.

#6 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanna84 View Post

You know, I reread my post and realized that it does sound pretty darn risky to me, and I'm not a germ freak either.  The more I think about it, the more I would just absolutely kick myself if either my husband or me got sick right after having a baby.  I'll just hold out and make stock with my next chicken. I'm sure the baby's not going anywhere for another week or so!

Good call. thumb.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post

Good call. thumb.gif

Seconded! thumb.gif

I'm so relieved that you did not consume any more of this pathogenic ooze. grossedout.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page