What to do for milk while on vacation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're raw milk drinkers and we're going to be out of the country on vacation for a week the beginning of July. DH and I just won't drink milk probably but DS isn't old enough to understand why I don't want him to drink store bought milk. Securing raw milk is possible but would be a big hassle and I'm not sure we want to expose ourselves to different raw milk while away from home just on the off chance we could get sick, especially since we'll be out of the country. So I guess store milk is it. So what brand/kind should I buy? We'll be in NJ and PA. TIA!

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#2 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm in NJ and get my raw milk from PA.  Feel free to PM me and I can give you the farm info - we've been drinking their milk for 8 years - never any issues.  If you're too far from that farm, I can recommend a couple others.  We are going to Colorado this summer and you can only get raw milk there if you own a cow share.  So I will be bringing milk for DD frozen in Lansinoh breast milk bags.  She's never had any pasteurized dairy and I don't want to give it to her on vacation either.  We've flown with frozen breast milk twice and never had an issue.  If neither option appeals to you, I'd recommend Natural by Nature milk, which you can get at health food stores.  Their milk in glass bottles is pasteurized, but not homogenized.  Their milk in cartons is pasteurized and homogenized (http://www.natural-by-nature.com/faq.htm).  If you can't find that brand, I'd get Organic Valley.  Don't buy Horizon - they are an aweful company.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM

I get whatever the best option available locally is, hopefully at least organic and non homogenized.

#4 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
I'd recommend Natural by Nature milk, which you can get at health food stores.  Their milk in glass bottles is pasteurized, but not homogenized.  

you have to watch- the health food stores near me (I am in PA) will not sell it in glass- I know of none and I am 45 mins from the dairy-cartons only - so you would need to check around if that is the one you want

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Weis (chain grocery) is caring the Natural by Nature (with their name on it as well-store brand/N by N) full, and 2%- it's the homogenized but you might have more luck finding it-all over eastern PA-in paper cartons-in a pinch it is grass feed 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page