cooler rec's for my 1/2 gallon jars of raw milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm joining a milk co-op and need a new cooler. I need something that will hold 10 to 12 1/2 gallon glass jars. I just thought I would ask if any of you have found a cooler that works well for the glass jars. Its a bit trickier with glass because of the breakage factor and the jars need to remain upright so they don't leak. Tips, tricks and rec's much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM

I'll be purchasing milk in 1/2 gallon glass jars and have found the wire carriers online. These keep the bottles from banging against one another. Their basically the same as what milk men used to leave on the front porch. If you could then find a couple of large coolers that the carriers would fit into you could just plop them in at pick up.

How about fabric grocery bags? Or, if you sew, maybe you could make some kind of a sleeve that will fit each bottle snugly and allow the bottles to ride next to one another in the cooler without fear of breakage.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM

When we used glass bottles for our milk co-op, we just wrapped each of the bottles in towels and kept everything snug with ice packs and additional towels.  Our big milk cooler can actually fit 10 gallons of milk.  I'm pretty sure it's made by Igloo.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Are you supplying the containers yourself? When we had dairy animals I used stainless steel milk jugs. 

Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas!!! Please tell me where the wire carriers are online and I would love to know where to get stainless steel milk jugs too!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:04 PM

I've been looking here

Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM

I bought mine about 20 years ago from a catalogue, and don't know of a current source. But I did a quick google search and came up with these. They aren't exactly the same as mine ( I have bail lids with silicone gaskets)

http://homesteadstore.myshopify.com/products/dairy-gallon-stainless-steel-milk-jug

Old 06-25-2011, 05:48 PM

I use 1/2 gallon glass ball jars (like a spaghetti jar but bigger) and I take a piece of cardboard, wrap it around the jar and tape it then that cardboard circle can slip off and on easily. I make one for each jar. You'll just need a cooler that holds them pretty tight

Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

I bought mine about 20 years ago from a catalogue, and don't know of a current source. But I did a quick google search and came up with these. They aren't exactly the same as mine ( I have bail lids with silicone gaskets)

http://homesteadstore.myshopify.com/products/dairy-gallon-stainless-steel-milk-jug

Do these have a pour spout? Or do you just do your best with that wide mouth?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 PM

You know those mesh plastic sleeves you can get from the liquor store when you buy more than one bottle of wine??? I use those on my jars, to keep them from banging into each other. And I also wrap them in towels and put ice packs in there. I don't use a cooler yet (just a plastic milk crate), but I'm going to have to start.

Rebecca, mother of one beautiful girl born May 9, 2008, wife to Ben since June 30, 2007, and angel1.gif July 9, 2011.

User Tag List