Is there a such thing as too much of a good thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've just wondered sometimes....I love TF and the whole WAPF concept.  However....I don't know much about growing seasons and farm life...but I do know enough to understand that our ancestors would not have had the same unlimited access to all foods that I currently have.

So....by necessity, they would've not eaten eggs for part of the year, for example.  Butter might have been something not available all the time.  Milk.

Obviously also garden plant foods, but I was wondering about this more from the availability of the foods we're 'told' by more mainstream sources not to overdo.  anyone care to comment?

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it is good to follow the cycles of food availability.  Who knows perhaps that is a partial key to food intolerances is that there are no natural breaks or reductions in our consumption.  

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#3 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

Quote:
However....I don't know much about growing seasons and farm life

I don't know what region you are in but there are many places on the east coast that are filled with knowledge - from basic 100 to 200 past and farther - near where we live their are "live" villages that do reenactments (this can range from simply basic preserving to butchering, etc) most places are open year round and run special seasonal events, tons of food related from growing to harvesting to preserving -

larger place such as Plymouth Plantation and Sturbridge Village are also very informative - PP has really done in-depth research and the web site doesn't do it justice http://www.plimoth.org/learn/just-kids/homework-help/whats-dinner

also locally I have several Native American museums that also do native food programs, my state and county runs several programs as well (maple sugaring, mushroom / native plant programs)

we eat very seasonally for the most part but do use moderation (far more so then many here) example we do eat eggs and more in the spring and summer but not dozens a week

we are concerned about diets too high in protein (mostly from animals) and high in animal fat, we do not eat a "heavy" animal diet, we prefer moderation and for the most part eat a selection of foods and not heavy on one type (based on the bodies ability to process protein and fat- closely related to the ayurvedic approach)

I have a grandmother near 100 and I know what her diet was growing up and that of her parents and grandparents so we stick more closely to that-large variety of fruits, veggies, nuts, meat, poultry, beans/legumes and wheat with local fish as well (most have lived into their late 80 and mid 90 on both sides on my parents so I have information there) -

her diet (the side I know the most about) did not do a "heavy" animal based diet as many here do- that is to say meat and meat products were not in the quantity that many here eat

we only do a few non family TF items such as CLO and seafood and some fruits that are not native to my area

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in farm country, there's no reason why I don't know this other than the fact that I grew up in town.  And while I fantasize about a little homestead with my own chickens and the like, in all seriousness, I think I would go crazy if I were truly living in the middle of nowhere.  I *love* living 10-20 minutes from a million things to do.

But I'm also really wanting to clean up our diet and we are a family of 6 plus my mom makes 7.  We can't afford all grassfed meat, free range chicken, organic eggs etc. at store prices.

the perfect solution for me would be to win the lottery (which I don't play) and buy land near the edge of town....could live with that  ;)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 7 Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 AM

peaceful- do you have farmers near you where you can buy say half a cow or maybe even a quarter if half is too expensive. There are often people on our wapf group looking for someone to split meat with. I think our farmer sells half a cow starting around $5/lb and you choose your cuts and how thick you want them.

A CSA might be another option to get a discounted price for a larger amount of meat.

#6 of 7 Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

there's veggie csa's here, have not found anything for meat.  Maybe like at tax time we could do something like that...

#7 of 7 Old 07-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Have you joined area wapf yahoo groups? Maybe even some other traditional and paleo yahoo groups could point you in the direction of some options you're currently unaware of.

I realize I'm spoiled living where I do. There are A LOT of farmers doing things the right way but I was pleasantly surprised, after spending weeks and weeks looking in another area, that there are plenty of options in a lot of places. I just had to be willing to not get one stop shopping which is what I am spoiled with here.

Have you checked Eat Wild and WAPF websites?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page