Dairy for EBF 6 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-04-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I eat a lot of Traditional type foods. We get our (raw, grassfed) milk from a local farmer and make butter and various other things with this, along with drinking the milk, of course.

We are just beginning to slowly introduce solids to our DD and I'm curious if I can stir in some butter or cows milk into her foods, or if this is a no-no at this age.

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

I would stir butter into her foods, but wouldn't bother with cow milk until she weans. She's still getting human milk after all! I doubt it would hurt her though.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
JMJ

Yeah, I doubt it would hurt her, especially if it is raw and/or cultured, but human milk is so much better for her.  It's certainly not necessary at this stage.  Butter though, I think is a good idea.  It is a problem sometimes that the solids that are introduced to children are low-fat and low-calorie and replacing high-fat and high-calorie breast milk.  Butter would be a great way to get her the extra fat in her solids.

#4 of 4 Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Well, I think if you are using it as a topping or something, yeah, go for it. She doesn't "need" it, but she doesn't "need" any solids, really at all at this stage anyway. My babies LOVED plain yogurt, and they still do! I used it to make baked potatoes more mashable, and very tasty!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page