Primal family - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 446 Old 09-16-2011, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

good points. i hadn't really checked out robb wolfs site, so i spent an hour or so last night just reading and reading. and i am ready to get serious! its funny b/c fitness wise - i am sooo happy i found primal. i always thought i was a failure b/c i hated cardio, and running long distance. i was all about heaving lifting and sprints in school. it was so fun for me then, so i am pumped to get back into something i enjoy and don't view as "boring exercise" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

I think with grains, and their effects, we need to take a longer term point of view. They are not - in most people - going to have an immediate effect on how we feel. What they CAN effect is how our bodies function and how we feel mentally. And this is where keeping a food/symptom log can be helpful. After my first big cheat (grain-wise) I spent an entire day in a brain fog - my thinking was slow, I wanted to just lay on the couch all day, I even had trouble reading to my son at night because I felt so sleepy. If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have chalked it up to something else - the weather, the travel we'd just completed...but I feel fairly certain it was the grains.

Also, there is are some who believe grains in general, and wheat in particular, effect our total systems. There is a book that just came out called "Wheat Belly", written by a clinical cardiologist. He has seen over and over again in his practice that heart patients who cut wheat have dramatic improvements in their blood work.

I really do think it takes a long time to notice an effect or lack of one with some food stuffs. I really like Robb Wolf's philosophy of trying it STRICTLY for 30 days and evaluate how you look, feel, and perform. Not everything about Paleo is about the immediate effects of foods. In fact, IMO, it's mostly about the long term effects.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#302 of 446 Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Down 9lbs from Monday thumb.gif It appears that I now know how to TAKE weight off. If I can just figure out how to KEEP it off!

LOL!!  I wish you many happy years in good health, minus extra pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

I think with grains, and their effects, we need to take a longer term point of view. They are not - in most people - going to have an immediate effect on how we feel. What they CAN effect is how our bodies function and how we feel mentally. And this is where keeping a food/symptom log can be helpful. After my first big cheat (grain-wise) I spent an entire day in a brain fog - my thinking was slow, I wanted to just lay on the couch all day, I even had trouble reading to my son at night because I felt so sleepy. If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have chalked it up to something else - the weather, the travel we'd just completed...but I feel fairly certain it was the grains.

Also, there is are some who believe grains in general, and wheat in particular, effect our total systems. There is a book that just came out called "Wheat Belly", written by a clinical cardiologist. He has seen over and over again in his practice that heart patients who cut wheat have dramatic improvements in their blood work.

I really do think it takes a long time to notice an effect or lack of one with some food stuffs. I really like Robb Wolf's philosophy of trying it STRICTLY for 30 days and evaluate how you look, feel, and perform. Not everything about Paleo is about the immediate effects of foods. In fact, IMO, it's mostly about the long term effects.

I agree with this.  I would like to read that book, it sounds very interesting.  

#303 of 446 Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View PostLOL!!  I wish you many happy years in good health, minus extra pounds.

YAY! Thank you! I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum...I meant to post it in the Hcg support thread redface.gif bag.gif sulkoff.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#304 of 446 Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 PM

I also like hot peppers in chocolate. like a spicy hot chocolate, or this awesome milk chocolate/jalepeno/peanut bar I got once (I don't do milk, but that was so interesting I had to try.)

I do love bacon, but even if it's something else, not bacon, just something that gets the fatty/salty with my sweet.  That's what does it for me.  I think fat+salt+sweet=goodness. Much better than super sweet stuff.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#305 of 446 Old 09-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Okay, a threw together scraps today and crossed my fingers hoping it would be edible, and it was AMAZING!  So I felt like I needed to share because it was just too easy to put together.

Put drumsticks in the bottom of your crock pot.  Mine were still frozen.  blush.gif  Keep the skins on, it makes them delicious.

Cover with a little bit of spaghetti sauce.  Mine was homemade leftovers from canning, too much to fit into all my jars. Add an inch or two of water and shove peeled garlic between the drumsticks, about 6-7.  Salt.

Chop and eggplant and some zucchini, saute in olive oil for a bit with some salt.  Dump on top of the chicken.  Top off with cherry tomatoes.

Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for whatever, until it's done. 

Sooo good!  It makes a stew type of thing, the broth was heavenly.  Enjoy!

lovestolearn likes this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#306 of 446 Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Today's contest post over at Mark's Daily Apple is a call for Primal/Paleo recipes. So many good ones linked to already! I think I'm going to have to try Chicken cooked in Coconut Milk sometime next week (without the rice)!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#307 of 446 Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

you can do "cauliflower rice" thumb.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#308 of 446 Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM

I'm planning a primal menu.  Please spam me with your top 5 primal meals/recipes.  I am looking for all meals (breakfast, lunch, and supper), plus snacks.  Thanks!

#309 of 446 Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM

A good resource is gladdmd.com. They have a recipe blog that has a lot of paleo-type recipes!  

#310 of 446 Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM

I have been wanting to read that book (Wheat Belly)!

#311 of 446 Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Dinners -

Taco salad: ground beef cooked with a chopped onion and homemade taco seasoning. Served over a green salad with shredded cabbage, your favourite chopped veggies and salsa. We use sour cream too. In the winter we serve the taco meat in a baked squash like acorn squash.

Spaghetti and meat sauce. Ground beef with your favourite jar sauce, served over spaghetti squash. In the summer we serve it over sautéed zucchini.

Chicken primavera: I use precooked chicken from a whole chicken I bake once  a week or so. Saute onions, carrots, red peppers, zucchini or any other garden veg, with lots of garlic. Fresh basil and oregano are great too. Can serve with a bit of parm, but killer good if you have pesto to add.

Chicken soup: just regular with onions, celery and carrots, maybe add chard or kale ribbons. Or Thai chicken soup with coconut milk, cilantro and lime.

Beef stew in the crock pot.

Burgers with homemade sweet potato fries. In the summer served with a huge slice of fresh tomato.

Salmon cakes with homemade coleslaw. I used canned salmon and bagged shredded cabbage, so this is a great last minute supper.

#312 of 446 Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM

For lunches I do pretty much the same thing everyday. Cut up veggies with some sort of dip: Cauliflower based hummus, tuna salad, pate, anything! This is really fast and simply and easy to take on the run! 

Left overs make great lunches too!

#313 of 446 Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 AM

I work outside the home full time so I tend to bring leftovers a lot. If I don't have leftovers I will bring salads in the summer and soups in the winter. For soups I make extra and freeze it in containers.

What I need to do is (what my mom does) grill or roast a ton of veggies and just store them in the fridge for a couple of days. Like onions, peppers, summer squash, tomatoes, mushrooms... then use as a quick side dish, lunch add-on or soup add-on.

And I need help with is budget friendly snacks for work. I am completely lacking unless it's an apple. Sometimes lunch and an apple is not enough to get me through 9 hours at work. Ok mostly it's not. And then it's free pizza or donuts in the breakroom or scrimp together change for the vending machine.

#314 of 446 Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM

holy moly, just found this recipe via MDA - Paleo Pad Thai: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/

#315 of 446 Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM

I actually found this one on MDA and love it! We are making it again tonight except I am using kelp noodles instead of zucchini! http://www.health-bent.com/poultry/pad-thai

#316 of 446 Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM

We made the pad Thai recipe from the clothes make the girl a few nights ago and it was awesome! I did sub almond butter for sunbutter because the store I went to didn't have any. But think would be great either way!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#317 of 446 Old 10-03-2011, 02:10 PM

I've been lurking for awhile, but am coming out to ask about the blended veg soup. I finally tried making it. I cut up 1 head of broccoli, 1 bunch kale, 2 yellow squash, put them in a pan and covered them with broth. added some garlic and herbs and sea veg, cooked till they were tender and then pureed the whole thing in my blender.

my question- the soup is very runny and doesn't taste like much. to my bowl i added a tbsp of butter and A LOT of romano, then it tasted pretty good. How do you thicken it? more veg/less broth? what do you add for flavor? the romano worked great, but since i am contemplating doing the whole30 i would need some other way to make it palatable.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#318 of 446 Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM

when I've made the veg soup I filled an entire pot with broccoli stalks, cauliflower end, mushroom stalks, literally all "left over" parts of veggies that we don't eat when they are steamed.  Made a difference.  Also did you make the stock with chix feet? The gelatin makes in thicker as well which is also great.  :)  Very healthful.  My veg slurry/soup from last week will be my snack for today....yummy.  Then I put raw cream in it because, well, that's how I like it...

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#319 of 446 Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 AM

To make thicker soup you could add less broth, because the veg mostly water. We also use arrowroot or xantham gum as thickeners. To brighten the flavour add more herbs, more salt (use sea salt) and spices like pepper. You can also give a squeeze of fresh citrus when serving. Lemon is usually good but lime is great if you are using asian flavours.

#320 of 446 Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

Something that's really made things simple is to make big batches of bone broth every few days and just stuffing TONS of veggies from the CSA in there along with sea veggies and Celtic salt. I simmer it then puree & serve with a big ole dollop of cream. We eat this for breakfast (and sometimes lunch too) pretty much every day & everyone loves it. Then I just makes various meals of meats/seafood and veggies cooked in lots of fat & topped with butter. We don't go crazy on nuts/seeds because I'm not sure about the phytic acid (even with soaking/sprouting.) Once in a while, a little handful is okay with me.

Thank you for this idea!  I made a big batch of soup like this, and have been enjoying it for breakfast and sometimes lunch.  It is delicious!  So far, no one else has wanted to try it for breakfast, but I am loving it!  It's amazingly filling, too.  Holds me just about til lunch.

#321 of 446 Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

Thank you for this idea!  I made a big batch of soup like this, and have been enjoying it for breakfast and sometimes lunch.  It is delicious!  So far, no one else has wanted to try it for breakfast, but I am loving it!  It's amazingly filling, too.  Holds me just about til lunch.

It does sound good. I am going to try my first batch of bone broth maybe this week. I'm back to being able to eat fats and fatty meats again joy.gif so I pulled out some leftover pork roast (with bone) from the freezer, and I have some chicken bones in the freezer. I have read that you can mix the bones in one broth? So maybe later this week after I eat the chicken legs I am thawing, I will dump it all in the crock pot. I can't wait to try these soups, yum!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#322 of 446 Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Speaking of bone broth, I needed to brag here.  I just used 10 lbs of good beef knuckle bones and was able to pressure can 30 quarts of broth.  Huzzuah!  It was such a success I'm going to process a ton more to clear out my freezer.

The broth also made the best tallow, all full of that good marrow, yum.  It's the best for frying up eggs.

lovestolearn likes this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#323 of 446 Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View PostThe broth also made the best tallow, all full of that good marrow, yum.  It's the best for frying up eggs.

Wow, this is a new idea. How do you do that? I thought tallow was for making, I dunno, simple lamps and things? A'la Clan of the Cave Bear? headscratch.gif

#324 of 446 Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:

It does sound good. I am going to try my first batch of bone broth maybe this week. I'm back to being able to eat fats and fatty meats again joy.gif so I pulled out some leftover pork roast (with bone) from the freezer, and I have some chicken bones in the freezer. I have read that you can mix the bones in one broth? So maybe later this week after I eat the chicken legs I am thawing, I will dump it all in the crock pot. I can't wait to try these soups, yum!

Yes. I'm not entirely sure why anyone would think that you couldn't mix different types of bones.

If you're going for a specific flavor (just chicken or whatever), then you'll want to use just that type of bone. If you just want to make yummy broth, dump it all in.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#325 of 446 Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View PostIf you're going for a specific flavor (just chicken or whatever), then you'll want to use just that type of bone. If you just want to make yummy broth, dump it all in.

Thanks! I think I just want to make yummy broth, to start with. Then maybe make a soup out of it! Nommy soup!

#326 of 446 Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Wow, this is a new idea. How do you do that? I thought tallow was for making, I dunno, simple lamps and things? A'la Clan of the Cave Bear? headscratch.gif

It was my understanding that tallow is the fat from cows and sheep.  I just call the beef fat I skim from the top of my stocks tallow.

#327 of 446 Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

Yes. I'm not entirely sure why anyone would think that you couldn't mix different types of bones.

If you're going for a specific flavor (just chicken or whatever), then you'll want to use just that type of bone. If you just want to make yummy broth, dump it all in.

I keep my bones separate cuz sometimes you just want chicken for something like chicken noodle soup, or rich beef for some rich stir fry.

Oh yes the tallow is so good. I love it to crumble with almond flour and maple syrup over apples and vanilla = primal apple crisp. So good especially with the tallow. Makes it like a real yummy donut flavor.
#328 of 446 Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
 I also like to make a butternut squash custard which is just butternuts with cream, eggs, a little salt, cinnamon & nutmeg. It serves well cold too.

How is this made? raw or cooked? 

#329 of 446 Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 PM

I am so glad to have found this thread!  I haven't read it all yet, but I am making some tea and getting ready to sit down and read it and take notes on some of the meal ideas and recipes. 

I have been grain free and primal for 6 days now and I feel amazing.  The first couple of days I was flu-like and dizzy, but after that I just got better and better.  My joints don't hurt anymore, I don't have a backache anymore (I had had one since March '11 and was told it was because I am overweight - now it's completely gone), my eczema is clearing up, and I am not on that blood sugar roller coaster of needing to snack and overeating.  I've been eating well, until I am satisfied and whenever I am hungry (not too often) and I've lost 7lbs so far.  I am sure I am preaching to the choir here, I just had to share.  

flowersforyou.gif

#330 of 446 Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Attila the Honey, thanks for posting this.  I'm getting ready to embark (again) on a more Primal-like eating style and I'm scared!  It's going to be hell here for a few days while we ride the coaster.  Thank you for your glowing endorsement, it's helping me not be so worried about it.

Tags
Diet Cure For Common Ailments , The Infertility Cleanse Detox Diet And Dharma For Fertility , Special Diets For Special Kids Volumes 1 And 2 Combined Over 200 Revised Gluten Free Casein Free Rec

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page