Primal family - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 446 Old 08-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
We stopped at DD's on the way and I got a cheese free breakfast sandwich and it happened again...(TMI) my body rejected the croissant I ate....Do you think I may have an actual gluten/wheat intolerance or do you think it's just b/c we went primal? Does that happen to you guys?

When I first went Primal this happened to me every time I ate gluten.  After 4 months gluten-free, I can eat a very small amount (like a bite or 2) and be fine, but more will be rejected. 

I consider myself gluten-intolerant, though I am not a celiac.

I trust that my body knows best--and thse days I look at gluten grains as toxins, not as food!

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 446 Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

so another question.  We eat very WAP bordering on primal.  We have no problems with loose stools (sorry tmi!) or other things like that.  Would this diet help with thyroid things?  I currently don't have thyroid things, but it's a familial tendency etc. and my thyroid is enlarged with  A couple nodules....

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
#93 of 446 Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Also anyone that likes golumpkis will love this recipe I made the other day. I call it golumpki stir fry! (I make a lot so we can have leftovers too so my guess would be this recipe would be good for a family of 5)

1lb ground pork

1lb ground beef

1/2 or 1 small head of green cabbage

1/2 or 1 small head of red cabbage (or you could just do green)

1/2 of a large sweet onion

4 cloves of garlic

1 can of diced tomatoes with 1/2 the juice drained

marjoram to taste

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Basically all I did for prep was chop up the vegs

I used a SS wok and sauteed the onion until it was clear then added the garlic and the meat cooked that about 5 mins then added the spices and cabbage and tomatoes then cook it until it's all done! The family loved it and it was easier and quicker than making the real thing.

Subbing. OMG this looks WAY too yummy! Definitely copying this down!

I'm exploring what is "primal" and what is "paleo" because I have been on the hcg diet and have been staying away from starches and sugars of all sorts. I'm way addicted to those things but I've been doing alright without them-- the problem is that I haven't been exactly adhering to the protocol so I have gained back a lot of the weight I lost each time. This time I am doing my best to be absolutely strict with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicviolin View Post

so another question.  We eat very WAP bordering on primal.  We have no problems with loose stools (sorry tmi!) or other things like that.  Would this diet help with thyroid things?  I currently don't have thyroid things, but it's a familial tendency etc. and my thyroid is enlarged with  A couple nodules....

What is WAP?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#94 of 446 Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
What is WAP?

WAP is the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Quote:
Would this diet help with thyroid things?  I currently don't have thyroid things, but it's a familial tendency etc. and my thyroid is enlarged with  A couple nodules....

Possibly!  Read these:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-gluten-thyroid-connection

Even if you aren't celiac, eliminating gluten totally is a good idea, IMO.  Different researchers speculate that most of us are gluten-sensitive, if not gluten-intolerant or celiac.

#95 of 446 Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing to this thread but I am also following the other primal thread.

I had a great dinner tonight of:
salad all grown from the garden (lettuce, sweet peas, dandelion greens, basil minced, radishes, and a cucumber, and topped with dulse, red wine vinegar, and evoo)
chicken thighs (fried in pork fat and covered with cajun seasoning)
potatoe chunks fried in the chicken and pork fat after chicken was cooked
steamed broccoli covered with evoo and dulse
dh made some iced tea and lime to go with it. Is green tea or black tea primal?

Well actually this is a usual dinner for us. We eat really simple food. This feel so good and satisfying. I do not follow all of the primal way as I have allergies and cannot have eggs and dairy. So I do eat some beans well soaked and cooked and feel great with those.

Some projects planned are-
rendering grass fed beef fat as I have 20-30 lbs of the stuff in the freezer. The local farm gave it away for free. Yippiee!
raising rabbits for meat
keep on planting new rows in the garden. Beans are going in tomorrow to have a fall crop.
Add more chickens to our coop as the ones we have are slowing on laying and they will be dinner and need new ones to take their place.
planting more gooseberry bushes
build the rest of the primitive mandan/wikiup shelter
(sorry for messing with the theme of the thread about food, but when going primal, I am kind of going all the way and living off the land.)
#96 of 446 Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Thinking of kids and eating primal- my 2 yr old ds is crazy about meat and only want that (and kale or broccoli) all day. His crowded teeth has spaced out nicely after cutting out most grain for him. Cool!

But then there is my dd, who loved meat but for the last few months she only wants potatoes and eggs, so I am just going with that and letting her decide.
#97 of 446 Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Is green tea or black tea primal?

Yes!

#98 of 446 Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

Subbing to this thread but I am also following the other primal thread.

I had a great dinner tonight of:
salad all grown from the garden (lettuce, sweet peas, dandelion greens, basil minced, radishes, and a cucumber, and topped with dulse, red wine vinegar, and evoo)
chicken thighs (fried in pork fat and covered with cajun seasoning)
potatoe chunks fried in the chicken and pork fat after chicken was cooked
steamed broccoli covered with evoo and dulse
dh made some iced tea and lime to go with it. Is green tea or black tea primal?

Well actually this is a usual dinner for us. We eat really simple food. This feel so good and satisfying. I do not follow all of the primal way as I have allergies and cannot have eggs and dairy. So I do eat some beans well soaked and cooked and feel great with those.

Some projects planned are-
rendering grass fed beef fat as I have 20-30 lbs of the stuff in the freezer. The local farm gave it away for free. Yippiee!
raising rabbits for meat
keep on planting new rows in the garden. Beans are going in tomorrow to have a fall crop.
Add more chickens to our coop as the ones we have are slowing on laying and they will be dinner and need new ones to take their place.
planting more gooseberry bushes
build the rest of the primitive mandan/wikiup shelter
(sorry for messing with the theme of the thread about food, but when going primal, I am kind of going all the way and living off the land.)

I love that you aspire to be self sustaining with your food! We want to do that as much as possible but it's not an option where we are at the moment. I don't see how living off the land contradicts primal in the least! What will you be doing with the mandan? Is that going to be your primary housing or something?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#99 of 446 Old 08-07-2011, 12:08 PM

we have been doing good so far.

yesterday

breakfast - chicken soup/broth, with carrots and cabbage

snack - strawberries and cream

dinner - shrimp scampi

today

breakfast - egg and ham scramble

snack - strawberries and cream

dinner - chicken on the grill w/ veggies

i feel so good when i eat like this - i do need to go slow on the fats though or i feel sick.

does anyone have any more ideas for fruit/protein/fat pairs?

we usually do :

apples/ raw cheese

peaches/cream

strawberries/cream

we are late risers and the we love to snack so recipes our suggestions would be great!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#100 of 446 Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

You could do apples or celery with almond butter

We use cultured coconut (coconut yogurt, taste more like pudding though) as dips or as a snack/desert it's got some good fat in it!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#101 of 446 Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but DH and I have been considering going paleo/primal. I first heard about a paelo lifestyle about 8 years ago while studying anthropology, my teachers mentioned it several times and an old school book (The Paleolithic Prescription by Eaton, Shostak and Konner), which I read and found fascinating, but never tried it. My DH stumbled upon Mark Sissons work about a year ago, and he's been bugging me to get into ever since. I am finishing up my masters in Trad. Chinese medicine, and we have our own nutrition/dietary structure, but it seems to meld well with the paleo/primal thing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading up and jumping in soon! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions! :)

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
#102 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 AM

Welcome Marcelle! Feel free to ask away as this place has been all the info I needed to eat this way. These ladies know so much.

What about cold homemade meatballs with an orange or apple for a protein/fruit?
#103 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:

What will you be doing with the mandan? Is that going to be your primary housing or something?

No not a primary residence but perhaps a summer home. I just feel so primal when I build a fire and cook food I have gathered wild. Sleeping on the ground also feels so natural to me.
#104 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Okay, I'm trying to eat more primalistic and I'm having a hard time thinking of snacks for the kids.  I leave a plate of snacks out for my son before I go to bed in the hopes that I'll get a few more hours in the morning to sleep.  He's always waking up at the crack of dawn, hungry but still tired.

I can't think of many high protein snacks that I can leave out for at least 8 hours.  We do cheese and nut butters.  I try to give him high fat snacks to help, like pork rinds or coconut butter.  I'm sure I could make some jerky, but I don't know if he would eat it, he's not big into meat.

We also give him a lot of raw veggies and fruits and he loves those.  I also make pancakes from pork rind flour and those are nice because he thinks he's eating something carbo-loaded but he's not.

Any ideas?

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#105 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

I can't think of many high protein snacks that I can leave out for at least 8 hours.  We do cheese and nut butters.  I try to give him high fat snacks to help, like pork rinds or coconut butter.  I'm sure I could make some jerky, but I don't know if he would eat it, he's not big into meat.

We also give him a lot of raw veggies and fruits and he loves those.  I also make pancakes from pork rind flour and those are nice because he thinks he's eating something carbo-loaded but he's not.

Any ideas?

I never ate a lot of "white food", but my husband (an admitted bread whore) has been eating paleo since January.  I make a kind of cookie/treat for him of almond butter and shredded coconut, sweetened with a little stevia.  I roll those into bite size balls and then roll them in cocoa powder.  I don't have an exact recipe because it depends on how runny the almond butter is....I just mix enough coconut into it to make the mixture pretty stiff so its not gooey and will hold its shape.  I've made them without stevia and they're still good if you don't use any sweeteners (which I think is technically not allowed).  They're pretty delicious, and pretty filling.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#106 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

How about a Larabar? Filling, not messy, easy to eat, convenient! Maybe pricey though....I saw them 10 for $10 the other day...

I suppose you could make your own, doesn't seem complicated.

#107 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Crayfishgirl, that sounds yummy!  I sometimes make a pseudo-fudge using coconut butter, nut butter, cocoa/carob powder, and honey if you like.  You might need to warm it to mix it.  Chill if you feel like it or eat with a spoon (can you tell what I usually do?  nut.gif  Or, used to do, coconut seems to give me fits.  Itchy, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, I'm so sad.  mecry.gif)

Quote:

How about a Larabar? Filling, not messy, easy to eat, convenient! Maybe pricey though....I saw them 10 for $10 the other day...

I suppose you could make your own, doesn't seem complicated.

duh.gif  I forgot, we make those, too.  Sometimes I worry because of all the dried fruit, BuggaBoo has cavities we're working on.  When I do make them I like to use figs instead of dates.

Darn it, why can't you just leave eggs out overnight?  Blah!

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#108 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Darn it, why can't you just leave eggs out overnight?  Blah!

Why not get a small cooler that he can open.  The soft-sided ones have a zip.  You can put an ice pack inside & leave him eggs, cheese or a smoothie...

#109 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View PostI also make pancakes from pork rind flour and those are nice because he thinks he's eating something carbo-loaded but he's not.

Hmm! Got recipe? smile.gif Do they taste...porky?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#110 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Lovestolenarn, that is an amazing idea about the cooler.  I must implement that immediately!

Maiasaura, I've been wanting to work on a honest-to-goodness-with-measurements recipe, but I can tell you how I do it in the meantime.

Grind up pork rinds in the blender or food processor until like flour.  This keeps for a long time.  Well, I'm assuming that because you can keep pork rinds at room temp forever.

In a clean blender use 2-3 eggs, a banana, a bit of honey (optional, I use it 50% of the time), healthy dose of cinnamon, ground cardamom is good, a small chunk of zucchini (optional, the zucchini blends nicely and adds liquid), salt, coconut oil.  Milk would be nice, I'm sure, but we don't keep milk around.

Pour the egg mixture into a bowl.  Add some pork rind flour.  I usually use about 1/2 cup.  It will thicken after standing for a bit so start out thinner than you like.  Then cook it up like pancakes.  This makes 5-6 good sized pancakes.

ETA:  I don't think they taste porky, but maybe a bit like there was bacon in the pan before you cooked the pancakes.  I love them and so does everyone else I've had try them.

#111 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii Maiasaura, I've been wanting to work on a honest-to-goodness-with-measurements recipe, but I can tell you how I do it in the meantime.

Oh, dang, I don't use bananas or honey...I wonder how I could tweak it. Hmm. Thanks! Maybe just eggs...What does the banana serve? Sweet? Thickness? I can use stevia for sweet if I need. I wonder if coconut flour might do. Or almond. Along with the pork rinds.

#112 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm sure stevia would work.  The banana helps to thicken and sweeten so we use less honey, but I'm sure you could replace it with an egg.  It would be eggier, but that's just fine! 

How do you feel about jicama?  That stuff tastes pretty sweet, that might do well.  Do you not do any fruit?  Maybe berries instead of banana?

#113 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I'm sure stevia would work.  The banana helps to thicken and sweeten so we use less honey, but I'm sure you could replace it with an egg.  It would be eggier, but that's just fine! 

How do you feel about jicama?  That stuff tastes pretty sweet, that might do well.  Do you not do any fruit?  Maybe berries instead of banana?

I haven't had jicama in forever. It might work! I'm not worried about sweetness so much as consistency. I do a limited amount of apple or strawberries right now. I'm VERY low carbing it, with some veggies...I'm on phase 2 of the Hcg diet (again, lol) and will soon be in phase 3, where I can have much more fat and much more of a variety of fruits and veggies, but I do plan to limit fruit more than I have before. Just looking for something new to have when it's time! But bananas, no, not for a long time will I have those. When I'm on phase 3 I can have some, very limited, and not very often. I love them, though! Berries would work but they might make the batter too runny? Think?

#114 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Maiasaura, if I remember correctly you can do apples on HCG, right?  Applesauce, or maybe even raw apple, would work.  I just remembered, I have made this without a banana and the texture was fine.  I don't think I even added another egg.

That's it, I'll have to make this for dinner tonight and post an actual recipe!

#115 of 446 Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM

(subbing)

I've been casually primal (didn't really know it had a name when I started) since late June. I just had a feeling that I should start avoiding grains. Since then, I've been moving the rest of the family to a mostly-primal style.  I'm not super strict and refuse to be--I'm not giving up coffee or my glass of wine. And, I haven't gone through and thrown out a bunch of existing food. We'll just use up the non-primal stuff slowly and not buy more. I don't have any health problems such as diabetes or high cholesterol/blood pressure, but I do want to lose about 10 more pounds--lost about 10 in the first few weeks of doing this. DH also doesn't have health issues, but diabetes and depression run in his family and those are both linked to a conventional SAD diet. 

We don't do totally organic/pastured because of cost. We eat mostly meats of various kinds, some dairy, eggs, vegetables of all sorts (avoiding the really starchy ones though), all fruits, nuts & nut butters. I'm easing into coconut oil and lard for cooking. 

I like Mark's Daily Apple a lot; the forums there are full of information. I also love Gary Taubes--his books are the ones I recommend to folks I talk to about low-carb/primal because his writing is so precise and he has references for every assertion. 

Read a tasty-sounding pancake recipe recently on MDA...mash up ripe banana. Add an egg and some almond butter. Blend. Cook like pancakes, but turn carefully as they are delicate. Haven't tried these yet as I need to get some smooth almond butter for the kid who doesn't like crunchy stuff. 

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#116 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:

Okay, I'm trying to eat more primalistic and I'm having a hard time thinking of snacks for the kids.  I leave a plate of snacks out for my son before I go to bed in the hopes that I'll get a few more hours in the morning to sleep.  He's always waking up at the crack of dawn, hungry but still tired.

Any ideas?

Pork rind flour pancake recipe please! :)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#117 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Sorry, I should have read the rest of the posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

Pork rind flour pancake recipe please! :)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#118 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Metasequoia, that's okay, I want to get a recipe up that uses actual measurements.  ;)

#119 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

what a creative way to use pork rinds! where do you purchase them? i know my dh gets them from the ranchito market place but i don't know how they are cooked or if they are cooked in good oil or rendered or what. i am assuming they are different than the ones that come in the bag at the corner store?

mama to one '07 and one '09
#120 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Someone was asking about this kind of diet and thyroid function.

I had severe hypothyroidism and was on a pretty high dose of synthetic thyroid hormone.  I haven't been super strict with this with diet, but I have been eating paleo/primal since January and I've decreased my med amount to a very small dose and actually after my last blood level, my doctor told me to think about trying to come off of it all the way and see how it is.  My symptoms are totally gone and I feel better than I have in years!

We have had yummy food today! 

Breakfast was -

Bacon, eggs and fresh picked blackberries with coconut cream

Lunch was -

Baked salmon with sauteed onions, scallions, sundried tomatoes, garlic and chicken stock

Fresh salad from our garden and pickles that I made a couple weeks ago

Snack will be-

green smoothies with bananas, fresh picked blueberries, carrots, kale, lettuce, fresh green peas

Dinner will be-

Crock pot beef stew which I started this morning and has been cooking out on my porch all day so it doesn't heat up my house :)

Muffins made with almond flour and blueberries, which I won't eat because nuts and I haven't been friends lately, but my kids and husband will gobble them up!

I have been doing a lot of food processing lately.  We have huge fields of wild growing blackberries within walking distance and I have been picking a couple quarts of them each day the past couple weeks.  We have also picked quite a few blueberries.  My garden has started producing gobs of squash and cucumbers and I have pickling quite a few.  Tomatoes are close to being ripe.  I've also been making cranberry ketchup, different kinds of chutneys and relishes to spice up our winter, of course all of them paleo/primal.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)

Tags
Diet Cure For Common Ailments , The Infertility Cleanse Detox Diet And Dharma For Fertility , Special Diets For Special Kids Volumes 1 And 2 Combined Over 200 Revised Gluten Free Casein Free Rec

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page