#121 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspirit View Post

Bacon, eggs and fresh picked blackberries with coconut cream

Lunch was -

Baked salmon with sauteed onions, scallions, sundried tomatoes, garlic and chicken stock

Muffins made with almond flour and blueberries, which I won't eat because nuts and I haven't been friends lately, but my kids and husband will gobble them up!

OMG, I am so going to move to your house!!! yummy.gif WOW, your menus sound amazing.

Please do share, what is coconut cream? Something you buy, or something you make? How do you make it?

Also PLEASE, yum please, share your recipes for the salmon and the muffins?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM

coconut cream is the thick, high fat part of coconut milk.  It is easy to make... put your canned coconut milk in the fridge and cool for a couple hours.  Open up the can without shaking it and scoop the thick part out with a spoon.  I save the rest of the milk to add to soups or sauces for added nutrition, but I know some people just throw it away.  You can make the cream either savory by adding sea salt and herbs to make a kind of cream cheese like thing, or make sweet by adding honey, vanilla, stevia etc.  You can also whip it to make frosting and whipped cream.

Now the salmon... I don't really use recipes I kind of just throw together what I have around, but this is what I did with the salmon today and it was delish!

preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchement paper, drizzle a small amount of coconut oil and lay salmon filet on sheet.  Sprinkle sea salt, pepper, sliced lemon, chopped green onion on filet and drizzle all with small amount of coconut oil.  Place in oven and bake until browning on top, about 30 minutes.

meanwhile, sautee in cast iron skillet - 2 cups chicken stock, 2 red onions chopped, 2 sweet onions chopped, 4 garlic cloves minced, 2 bunches scalions, about 10 sundried tomatoes chopped (I snip mine with scissors), whatever fresh herbs you have, simmer until veggies are tender.  Spoon over salmon and serve!

As for the almond muffins, I often use the recipe on Grain free foodie and add berries if I want.  I also will just throw together muffins with almond flour, sea salt, eggs, a tiny bit of baking soda, and honey.  I don't measure though, so I can't tell you the exact amount... sorry!  I will pay attention tonight when I make them and let you know!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#123 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspirit View Postcoconut cream is the thick, high fat part of coconut milk.  It is easy to make... put your canned coconut milk in the fridge and cool for a couple hours.  Open up the can without shaking it and scoop the thick part out with a spoon.  I save the rest of the milk to add to soups or sauces for added nutrition, but I know some people just throw it away.  You can make the cream either savory by adding sea salt and herbs to make a kind of cream cheese like thing, or make sweet by adding honey, vanilla, stevia etc.  You can also whip it to make frosting and whipped cream.

Now the salmon... I don't really use recipes I kind of just throw together what I have around, but this is what I did with the salmon today and it was delish!

preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchement paper, drizzle a small amount of coconut oil and lay salmon filet on sheet.  Sprinkle sea salt, pepper, sliced lemon, chopped green onion on filet and drizzle all with small amount of coconut oil.  Place in oven and bake until browning on top, about 30 minutes.

meanwhile, sautee in cast iron skillet - 2 cups chicken stock, 2 red onions chopped, 2 sweet onions chopped, 4 garlic cloves minced, 2 bunches scalions, about 10 sundried tomatoes chopped (I snip mine with scissors), whatever fresh herbs you have, simmer until veggies are tender.  Spoon over salmon and serve!

As for the almond muffins, I often use the recipe on Grain free foodie and add berries if I want.  I also will just throw together muffins with almond flour, sea salt, eggs, a tiny bit of baking soda, and honey.  I don't measure though, so I can't tell you the exact amount... sorry!  I will pay attention tonight when I make them and let you know!

Thanks! You totally rock. I'll be in phase 3 in a week or so and I can't WAIT to have yummy fatty foods again! Do you have a big family? Because that sounds like a LOT of onions and stock and tomatoes and stuff...I only have ds and me. I guess I can cut the recipe by lots, though, huh winky.gif

They had these #10 cans of coconut milk at the poor store for $5.99...I hope they still have them. I want to get some tomorrow if they do. Anybody know if coconut milk freezes well? Because I'd have to open a can and split it down into manageable portions.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#124 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Lazurii  where do you get your pork rinds from?  My family would LOVE those pancakes.  DS 1 will eat nearly anything in pancake form.  I actually just made some sweet potato pancakes that were yummy.  Had them in the house and all :-)  

mamaspirit: wow that's amazing that you've nearly healed yourself from hypothyroidism!!!  Congrats!  Can you pm me with what you do?  I am trying to prevent it from happening/getting worse.  I'm on no meds, nor do I want to go that route ya know?  Are you gf?  Your menu is totally great!  :)  LOVE IT!  You cook the way I do...um, yea I don't know what I put in there but it's yummy!

Yet another question...my kid seems to like soup most of the time...but there are times when it's like pulling teeth.  Do you find it easier to give the LO's soup first thing or later in the day?

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
#125 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 PM

maiasaura - yeah, I have 4 kids and I also make extra for my hubby to take to work the next day and to freeze for fast food, lol! 

organicviolin - I'll pm you when I get a chance to write it all down, and yes, I've been GF for almost 3 years now, and grain free with a little cheating since January of this year.  Sometimes my kids refuse soup too.  I find that if I let them help me make it they eat it better, but it's sometimes a toss up.  But I'm from the school of thouht that if they skip a meal here and there they will live.  They usually choose to eat at least protions of the soup (pick out the meat, etc) and they won't get more than one muffin if they don't eat the soup! ;)

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#126 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Oh and Maiasaura you can freeze coconut milk and coconut cream, it has a little different consistency but works great for cooking and stuff!

#127 of 446 Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/human-interference-factor/#more-22540 I read this article today and thought you all might find it interesting. I am totally going to have to give up conventional eggs now!

40% increase in LDL by consuming 2 conventional eggs a day?! OMG I don't think I want to know what my cholesterol is right now....hide.gif I feel like I have been poisoning my family.

12 eggs for $5 does not seem like a good deal or a cheap protein to me...IDK how we can afford that...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#128 of 446 Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Organicviolin, I buy mine at a local bulk store called Winco.  They're not organic.  They're the rinds that are already fried up.  HTH!

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#129 of 446 Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspirit View Postmaiasaura - yeah, I have 4 kids and I also make extra for my hubby to take to work the next day and to freeze for fast food, lol! 

Oh, that explains the (to me) ginormous quantities! lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspirit View Post

Oh and Maiasaura you can freeze coconut milk and coconut cream, it has a little different consistency but works great for cooking and stuff!

Thanks! I pretty much use it in smoothies. Does it still work for that after freezing?

#130 of 446 Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post

what a creative way to use pork rinds! where do you purchase them? i know my dh gets them from the ranchito market place but i don't know how they are cooked or if they are cooked in good oil or rendered or what. i am assuming they are different than the ones that come in the bag at the corner store?

My dh gets them at the Mexican market too and they always sound so good when he's eating them - and he insists they're "just pork skin fried in lard" but I'm skeptical. Is it canned lard with BHT& TBHQ?? Did the pigs eat GMO grain?? I kind of surrendered to the fact that if I want high quality pork rinds, I'll have to order a pig share and make my own. :)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#131 of 446 Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM

What an awesome thread! Love all the recent meal and recipe sharing too! A few things for different people, but don't have time to go back on phone and see who they all were to quote. Sorry!

The banana almond pancakes mentioned are awesome. We make them all the time, and have since way before taking the primal jump. Recipe on MDA calls for 2 bananas, 1egg and a Tbsp or 2 of almond butter. I usually just use 1 banana to cut down on sugar and it works great. Can double batch as they make good cold or room temp snacks. I recently added a bit of almond meal and coconut to a batch, along with the usual cinnamon I add, and found them even better!

So I love coconut milk and coconut cream too. But really try to stay away from any foods in a can due to the BPA. I've tried making my own from dried coconut, but never had much luck? Anyone else more successful than me who could give some tips? I also found coconut cream for sale in a glass jar on Amazon, but the product gets mixed reviews, so haven't tried yet.

Two typically non-primal meals that we made primal the last few days due to cravings were tomatillo salsa chicken enchiladas and eggplant parmesan (with ground beef). Yummy! I used the egg white and cream crepes instead of tortillas from a recipe on MDA which worked great after I got the hang of it. I may try next time with less cream or water instead to minimize dairy, but wanted to follow a recipe the first time. Then sauteed onion, peppers, and summer squash with chicken for the filling. Dipped crepes in homemade tomatillo sauce, rolled up, then topped everything with remaining salsa and some raw jack cheese. The meal was awesome, and almost all made from our trip to the farmers market that day!

I breaded eggplant slices, dipped in all those egg yolks leftover from making the egg white crepes (minus a couple for garlic aioli), with almond meal and a bit of parmesan cheese. Baked I. Oven for about 15 min on each side. Then put in baking dish and topped with sauteed onion, ground beef and kale mixed with a jar of organic pasta sauce - lazy, I know wink1.gif .

Still struggling a bit with being snack ready out of the house, but meals are going great!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#132 of 446 Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
So I love coconut milk and coconut cream too. But really try to stay away from any foods in a can due to the BPA.

Native Forest Brand is BPA free.

Here's a link to some other BPA-free companies that produce canned food:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/7-bpa-free-canned-foods.php

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#133 of 446 Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Yes I use native forest brand and coconut milk is pretty much the only food I buy in a can.  I have made a pretty successful coconut milk from shredded coconut though, although I know it isn't as high in fat as the canned stuff.  And with how busy my household can get I often forget about the soaking coconut and end up fermenting it and it does NOT taste good fermented!  lol!

I am up to my eyeballs in berries.  My deep freezer is halfway full.  I already have twice as many as I had last year.  I am looking forward to a winter with frozen berries!

Anyway, I'm off to run some errands!  Hope everyone is having a pleasant day!

#134 of 446 Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

12 eggs for $5 does not seem like a good deal or a cheap protein to me...IDK how we can afford that...

My opinion is that 99% of paleo budget advice is written for/by single people who have to scrimp a bit to afford their $50,000 car payment, not for families struggling to meet the basic needs. shake.gif I'm not going to feel guilty for feeding my family conventional eggs if that's what we can afford. It's still better than Pop-Tarts or going without.

Try searching around for a local farmer selling eggs. On craigslist where I live, I'm seeing them for between $1.50 and $3 a dozen (though we seem to be in a particularly low cost of living area). These aren't necessarily truly pastured (most live in outdoor cages and do get standard chicken feed), but generally with more access to bugs and stuff than many of the "free range" eggs sold in stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&BabyChiro View Post

So I love coconut milk and coconut cream too. But really try to stay away from any foods in a can due to the BPA. I've tried making my own from dried coconut, but never had much luck? Anyone else more successful than me who could give some tips?
My process:
Take 1 cup shredded coconut. Mix with 1 cup very hot water (from the tap, not boiling). Let it cool for a bit, then stick in the fridge.
Several hours later, or whenever I get around to it (I've let it go for a few days sometimes, but it's still fine if it's been in the fridge), throw that in the blender and blend for about a minute. Pour in 2 more cups of water and blend for a while more. Pour it through a strainer into a jar. I reserve the pulp for some other purpose (baking, adding to random stuff, munching plain, whatever. I'm not sure it adds much nutritionally, but feel I should use it up!).
This makes nearly 3 cups of coconut milk (assuming you press as much liquid as possible out of the pulp). Functionally, it's equivalent to a can or a can and a half, since it's a lot thinner. But it tastes yummier!
If I'm planning to use it for curry or something savory, I make it with broth instead of water. In that case, I don't strain it, since the cooking softens the pulp.
Our pack of 12 8oz bags from amazon has lasted us longer than a case of 24 cans of coconut milk, and that's with using the coconut for other things, too. And it's quite a bit cheaper than the case.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#135 of 446 Old 08-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View PostI'm not going to feel guilty for feeding my family conventional eggs if that's what we can afford. It's still better than Pop-Tarts or going without.

I love this. You betcha thumb.gif I live in the crunchiest town in America and I can't afford organic anything, pretty much. Even at the poor store. So yeah, I use grocery store meat redface.gif

#136 of 446 Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM

oh good, native forest is what I buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestolearn View Post

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#137 of 446 Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 PM

Hello again. So, I am just getting started with this primal diet thing, and I have a question that may be silly (and may be addressed in one of the texts y'all have mentioned but I haven't seen it) : okay, does the body do any kind of detoxing when getting off the grain/sugar train AND if so, how will this affect breastfeeding? I read about people going through withdrawls when they stop eating lots of bready carbs, I'm afraid this will happen to me, and I'm still BFing DS ... any advice or linkage to further info??

TIA! :)

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
#138 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckedyPeg View Post

Hello again. So, I am just getting started with this primal diet thing, and I have a question that may be silly (and may be addressed in one of the texts y'all have mentioned but I haven't seen it) : okay, does the body do any kind of detoxing when getting off the grain/sugar train AND if so, how will this affect breastfeeding? I read about people going through withdrawls when they stop eating lots of bready carbs, I'm afraid this will happen to me, and I'm still BFing DS ... any advice or linkage to further info??

No detoxing per se, unless you are also dropping body fat at the same time.  You will probably drop a few pounds of water weight in the first week or so--no worries about that!  I lost 4 lbs my first week eating Primal.

Some folks experience what is referred to as "carb flu" if they go very low carb right away.  You can avoid this by adding sweet potatoes or white potatoes to your diet.  Fruit is OK in moderation, but too much can lead to binging for some folks.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#139 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM

I started eating primal a month ago, and I'm still bfing my 13 month old. I had 1 day where I was feeling irritable and crummy, but aside from that I feel great. I didn't notice a drop in supply and she's still happily nursing. I've lost 7 lbs, but I'm making sure to drink lots of fluids and eating healthy, so I think it's fine :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckedyPeg View Post

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#140 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestolearn View Post

Quote:
So I love coconut milk and coconut cream too. But really try to stay away from any foods in a can due to the BPA.

thanks for the tip. I went out and bought some yesterday!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#141 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Hi there! I just joined this group today. I have been primal for over six years and run a primal parenting blog called The Primal Parent. 

I've got kids lunch ideas posted at my website as well as my own quite extreme version of paleo. I'm a carnivore!

It's nice to join the group of primal mothers!

http://theprimalparent.com

#142 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Primal and Paleo are just words both referring to ancestral diets - they aren't anything specific. 

Loren Cordain got the whole thing going with The Paleo Diet - he was anti dairy and low fat (which these days we call faileo. I started paleo back then and it really was freakin hard with such low fat.)

Mark Sisson took another angle with his book the Primal Blueprint. He does a little dairy and super high fat. 

The words have pretty much become attached to these two different figures, but you really can use them interchangeably. 

Everyone who eats primal/paleo has their own style. Some include raw diary, some don't. Some are totally against dairy in general. It can be a heated debate but that debate is not attached to the words themselves. 

#143 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

NVM sorry

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#144 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Parent View Postwhich these days we call faileo

faileo ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View PostNVM sorry

What does NVM mean?

#145 of 446 Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

never mind whistling.gif

#146 of 446 Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Parent View Post

which these days we call faileo.

lol.gif
#147 of 446 Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Question you guys may be able to help me with.

Which eggs do you think are better?

Organic eggs whose hens are fed- corn, soy, and flaxseed.

non organic eggs whose hens are fed- soy meal, rice meal, alfalfa meal, sea kelp, vitamin E, and canola oil/flax seeds.

#148 of 446 Old 08-13-2011, 09:53 AM

Sosurreal, that's a hard one.  I think I would personally go with the non-organic eggs because of the variety of the feed.  I hate it when chickens are fed only two or three things.  I would think the more variety the more nutritionally complex the eggs.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#149 of 446 Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

Sosurreal, that's a hard one.  I think I would personally go with the non-organic eggs because of the variety of the feed.  I hate it when chickens are fed only two or three things.  I would think the more variety the more nutritionally complex the eggs.

That is what I was thinking, which is why I asked. They cost about the same, and neither are free range unfortunately...

#150 of 446 Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM

I would go with the non-organic eggs, unless you have a strict reason for purchasing organic.  

Do any of you mamas have school-age children, and if so, are you packing lunches?  How are you doing with packing primal-type lunches?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Question you guys may be able to help me with.

Which eggs do you think are better?

Organic eggs whose hens are fed- corn, soy, and flaxseed.

non organic eggs whose hens are fed- soy meal, rice meal, alfalfa meal, sea kelp, vitamin E, and canola oil/flax seeds.

Tags
Diet Cure For Common Ailments , The Infertility Cleanse Detox Diet And Dharma For Fertility , Special Diets For Special Kids Volumes 1 And 2 Combined Over 200 Revised Gluten Free Casein Free Rec

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page