Primal family - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 446 Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post

sosurreal - LOL - yeah I have to plan or I just end up reaching for the nearest candybar.

Lovestolearn - I am D deficient. My last test was 29 - I am on 3-4000 IU daily. The doc told me to only take 2000 but after reading the website you linked to, I upped it. In fact I should probably be taking more especially since I am still breastfeeding. My LO won't take the vitamin drops, I guess they taste nasty. So I have been trying to give her more fish like salmon and mackeral to help with D. Any other suggestions for her? She does get sun but not as much as she used to before starting daycare.

What drops are you giving her?  I've supplemented my children with a couple of different brands; they just tasted like olive oil.  Even my pickiest child didn't have an issue with the taste, although he didn't like the oil texture.  I chased it down with a small (like 1 or 2 oz.) cup of juice; either that, or I just gave them the drops immediately before they had breakfast.

#182 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

So guess what now I am primal and pregnant!

We have really good tasting vt D I will post the brand later as I have no time to grab em right now!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#183 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM

congrats mama!!! enjoy!!!

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#184 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Just finished making a batch of almond meal "graham" crackers to go with some 82% dark chocolate bars for s'mores on a camping trip this weekend. Now if I had just gotten it together to make organic marshmallows or order them online... None of the stores in my area carry the slightly less bad for you versions. Jet puffed it is I guess! I know, I know. Definitely not entirely primal. But camping without roasting marshmallows? Especially when the rest of extended family will be? I figured we'd make them as good as possible!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#185 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&BabyChiro View Post

Just finished making a batch of almond meal "graham" crackers to go with some 82% dark chocolate bars for s'mores on a camping trip this weekend. Now if I had just gotten it together to make organic marshmallows or order them online... None of the stores in my area carry the slightly less bad for you versions. Jet puffed it is I guess! I know, I know. Definitely not entirely primal. But camping without roasting marshmallows? Especially when the rest of extended family will be? I figured we'd make them as good as possible!

Okay, this might sound totally weird, but roasted bananas are pretty good.  I like to break chunks off and roast them on the stick like marshmallows.  Not that I don't enjoy marshmallows as well, but it's an idea.  winky.gif

Where did you find the recipe for almond graham crackers?

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#186 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Greetings all!

Well, this is the thread that finally got me to join. :)

We have been on something resembling the paleo/primal journey for about two and a half years now, and I have to say that it's been amazing for us. We came to this lifestyle when my husband (and then our eight year old son) was diagnosed with celiac. My husband decided to try the SCD to try to heal up some of the damage, and because we operate as a unit, we all went on the SCD together.

Of course, I didn't notice immediately that my "arthritis" had gradually disappeared, but when I ate out and "indulged", I sure learned! The arthritis retuned like an out of control freight train and I could barely walk for three days. One after another, we have eliminated all grains for our world as we discovered that each one made us feel awful in one way or another.

I don't believe in diets, hunger, or intential weight loss and I have been having some trouble adjusting to that side effects of this lifestyle, but I don't miss the 165 pounds enough to suffer the pain of eating the way I used to...

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by remijo (To the person that healed her thyroid - so sorry I can't remember the name offhand - do you limit all goitergens? (cruciferous veggies, almonds, sea veggies?) I really want to shrink my goiter before I go off for my physical examination (in training to be an army officer) The goiter could ruin my military career if I can't heal it. Also would love to get off my high dose of synthetic hormone. Thanks!!)

Remijo, I resolved a life long goiter earlier this year using the iodine protocol. Not primal, per se, but I had to mention in. It took about four months before my neck deflated dramatically, but I now have a defined neck and a real jawline! If paleo/primal doesn;t work for you, that might.

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by mandomom I'd like to wean DD (3yrs) off mac and cheese .

Mandomom, if your DD is OK with the cheese, you might try using grated and steamed cauliflower with the cheese sauce. My son likes it -- not as much as rice pasta, but he doesn't turn it down. :p

Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by Mom&BabyChiro Just finished making a batch of almond meal "graham" crackers

did they work?

May I have the recipe, please?! Thak you!

#187 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 02:54 PM

As for Vit D drops, I was just using the ones I got from my pediatrician - the Tri-vi-sol or whatever. She hates them and refuses to take them. I didn't even think there might be commercial varieties available - didn't think that far ahead I guess.

Grandma Misti - what's the iodine protocol? Do you have a link? Is it a diet or a supplement?

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#188 of 446 Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Carlson Labs makes Vitamin D drops called "D Drops". They come in 1000 and 2000 IU per drop and I think a Kids supplement too. Taste like nothing :-)

Rhianna

#189 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 AM

I'm sorry, I had added a link, and then forgot I lost it when my browser crashed.  You can learner about the investigation here, and then they have links to the protocol.  Mainly, it's an iodine supplement.  I used Idorol but you can use Lugols drops if you prefer.

#190 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

We have really good tasting vt D I will post the brand later as I have no time to grab em right now!

Yipeee! Congrats!
#191 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I am pretty pumped. IDK if I should increase my fat ratio since I am nursing a toddler (almost 2 y/o) and am pregnant.

I wouldn't use polyvisol b/c I don't think I would trust the quality. I mean what grade vitamins are in it? I go with food grade/natural form.

We use Vitality Works berry flavor D3 for kids it's 400iu per drop (the bottle really lasts!) It's in cholecalciferol form.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#192 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Needing some advice here.
Since cutting out grains, my inflammation has gone away in my neck and joints and I feel great most of the time. But for some reason with all my new changes since January, my teeth are still decaying terrible and I have the most plaque I have every had in my life. What could I be missing or doing wrong. I am considering adding back in grain and dealing with my joints just to perhaps slow down the decay.
PS, this is coming from someone whos dd's cavities healed but can't do a thing for mine for some reason.
#193 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

WOW since I cut out grains I have been having 0 plaque. I think genes might be playing a big role here. What do you brush with? I recently read toothpaste actually hinders plaque removal and you are better off using no toothpaste. Even more plaque removal was seen with using just baking soda and brushing with that. (that's what we do) You can rinse with a mouthwash to get rid of the taste after.

#194 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Congrats!

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#195 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

Needing some advice here.
Since cutting out grains, my inflammation has gone away in my neck and joints and I feel great most of the time. But for some reason with all my new changes since January, my teeth are still decaying terrible and I have the most plaque I have every had in my life. What could I be missing or doing wrong. I am considering adding back in grain and dealing with my joints just to perhaps slow down the decay.
PS, this is coming from someone whos dd's cavities healed but can't do a thing for mine for some reason.

Bone broths, vitamin K (from pastured butter), gelatin and Vitmain D sufficiency will all help your teeth to heal. 

This is a good resource:

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/

#196 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 AM

also for tooth decay look into concentrace. smile.gif

heartbeat.gif

#197 of 446 Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM

subbing :)

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#198 of 446 Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestolearn View Post

Bone broths, vitamin K (from pastured butter), gelatin and Vitmain D sufficiency will all help your teeth to heal. 

This is a good resource:

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/

Crazy thing is I am the bone broth queen, take lots of Vit D, and stopped the k2 as the plaque got considerably worse after taking it. I just can't figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post

also for tooth decay look into concentrace. smile.gif

Please tell me more about this and where do I find it?

I am going to do an experiment and add in more veggies and less meat. I am wondering if i am lacking in that area.
#199 of 446 Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM

The roasted bananas sound fantastic! I will definitely try next time. I could imagine them getting all caramelized as they roast in the fire. Yummy!

The graham crackers didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but still worked okay. They were fairly crispy out of the oven, but got really chewy after being stored in an airtight bag for a day and a half. The flavor was good though. I didn't roll out the dough quite thin enough originally and then cut into pieces, squished down and baked again. So that could have been part of the problem. The recipe was here: http://www.fivestarpaleo.com/?s=almond+meal+graham+cracker&Search.x=35&Search.y=24

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#200 of 446 Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing...

Dh is gf and Ds1 is dairy free (except he tolerates butter well), so I'm mostly primal right now... I've been finding grain-free alternative for things like pancakes and have been reasonably successful.  I need to get hardcore for myself, though.  Sucks, because honestly, throwing in a pasta meal here and there is *SO* much cheaper than what we've been doing... so basically I need some good cheaper meals...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#201 of 446 Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I am going to do an experiment and add in more veggies and less meat. I am wondering if i am lacking in that area.

Great idea to try, but my understanding is that many veggies will be mineral deficient, since our farmland is so deficient in minerals.  If you eat organ meats (like liver, kidneys, heart, etc.) you may be able to get more minerals than you could get from veggies--just my opinion!

Also, a friend who has been having teeth issues just found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Collins-Restore-Revitalizing-Toothpaste/dp/B00178WRRS

#202 of 446 Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 AM

I have only tried liver of the organs listed and get it free from the farm nearby so we eat it several times a month. I guess I should eat it more often.

Well for veggies, I ate a huge bowl of steamed kale cover with dulse yesterday. Many of the veggies I eat are more nutrient dense than just say a bowl of lettuce. And I have loads of stuff from my garden to eat more of. Dh charcoaled, microorganism, and mineralized the soil prior to planting.

Just started my k2 supplment again giving it another try.

Yay for apple season again! We have collected many 5 gallon buckets full of apples from our apple trees, just the tip of the iceberg, from one tree so far. I am going to can today or tomorrow. We have so many apples than we can handle- over 30 trees.

Our 10 chickens are only laying 2 eggs a day so I think we are going to eat them. These are very free range chickens so I wonder if the meat will be tough? Anyone try free range chickens?
#203 of 446 Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

I have only tried liver of the organs listed and get it free from the farm nearby so we eat it several times a month. I guess I should eat it more often.

Well for veggies, I ate a huge bowl of steamed kale cover with dulse yesterday. Many of the veggies I eat are more nutrient dense than just say a bowl of lettuce. And I have loads of stuff from my garden to eat more of. Dh charcoaled, microorganism, and mineralized the soil prior to planting.

Just started my k2 supplment again giving it another try.

Yay for apple season again! We have collected many 5 gallon buckets full of apples from our apple trees, just the tip of the iceberg, from one tree so far. I am going to can today or tomorrow. We have so many apples than we can handle- over 30 trees.

Our 10 chickens are only laying 2 eggs a day so I think we are going to eat them. These are very free range chickens so I wonder if the meat will be tough? Anyone try free range chickens?

You might consider waiting til next year and see how they do.  The word on the farmer's market around here is that this year was awful for egg laying.  Supposedly the heat?  Anyway, something to think about...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#204 of 446 Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 AM

Koalamom~

Sounds like you have the food down.  Liver once a week should be enough.

I wonder if it is an absorption issue?

I only eat free-range chickens and the ones I've had are great--much more flavorful than caged birds.

#205 of 446 Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM

we only eat free range everything and they are the best fowl and other animals around.eat.gif:eat

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#206 of 446 Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Ok, I was just going to sub, but I made it through the whole thread and now I've got a question -

nut butters - if they are raw, they were not soaked to reduce phytic acid... must I really start making my own nut butters myself, on top of soaking grains, tending my bone broth, etc? and I've got to soak my almonds and peel them and then make the nut butter?

Help! I'm just not polly-in-the-kitchen, nor is my son cooperative with the time I take to get things ready in the traditional healthy way, BUT... he has a new small area of tooth decay and I'm trying to help that heal, so I'm asking - 

Also, which nuts are best? I've been combining almond with tahini and cashew, and avoiding peanut just from instinct and my own preference...

Anyone with opinions on this? 

Thanks!

(oh yeah, subbing.)

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#207 of 446 Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well I don't soak my nuts thumb.gif but we also eat them fairly limited. I just buy raw almond butter.

Macadamia nuts are amazing b/c of the omega 6-3 ratio (high 3) but I can never find them.

#208 of 446 Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM

no grains means not having to soak them! smile.gif

i have an easy trick for bone broths~do them in the crock pot. Before i figured out how easy it is to do a 24hr bb in the crockpot i burnt every single batch i tried to do. Lol. Who has time to babysit the stove for hours at a time. to babysit the stove for hours at a time.

I wonder if the flooding in australia has something to do with the rarity of macadamias this year? I cant find them either greensad.gif

heartbeat.gif

#209 of 446 Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

i have an easy trick for bone broths~do them in the crock pot. Before i figured out how easy it is to do a 24hr bb in the crockpot i burnt every single batch i tried to do. Lol. Who has time to babysit the stove for hours at a time. to babysit the stove for hours at a time.

Yep, that's how I've always done it!

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#210 of 446 Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Yes! - bb burbling away right now in the crockpot on my outdoor cooking table (spares vegetarian husband the constant smell of meat in his home office.) Personally, I could go grain-free very happily, but husband and son both seem to need them to round out meals, so soak I must.

Confused about cooking times and water amounts after soaking - lentils are taking ages this morning, more than if they were unsoaked!

Quote:

no grains means not having to soak them! smile.gif

I wonder if the flooding in australia has something to do with the rarity of macadamias this year? I cant find them either greensad.gif

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Tags
Diet Cure For Common Ailments , The Infertility Cleanse Detox Diet And Dharma For Fertility , Special Diets For Special Kids Volumes 1 And 2 Combined Over 200 Revised Gluten Free Casein Free Rec

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page