Primal family - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 446 Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomom View Post

Do you use already cooked bones? I've only used raw femur bones.  It would be nice to be able to use something that I normally would throw away.

Yes, I use cooked bones.  In fact you can even roast just the plain raw bones first to add more flavor.  I will say, though, grilled meats definitely add a "char" flavor to broth, so just be sure that's what you want before you use a bone that's been on the grill.  It still gels and everything, so I'm fine with it.  In fact, some cultures used to pass bones around to neighbors to have broth made in many houses before it was "done" being used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Hey thanks! Hmmm....I wonder could you do it if you don't have a food processor. I only have a blender.

I do pate in the blender.  Make sure there's enough liquid or heat it up first.  I used the nourished kitchen recipe and it's fine once I add enough butter to make it blend, but otherwise my blender needs me to scrape it down (i.e. stop the blender, scrape, cover, start blender, repeat) multiple times before it's a good texture.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#242 of 446 Old 09-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I make Elana's Pantry stuff all the time with home-made almond flour and it works great. I literally just grind up my whole almonds in a food processor or blender and use that!!

#243 of 446 Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

Oh but usually those foods are fermented heavily traditionally. Perhaps you could just do lentils and no rice? Partway primal.

I would actually recommend the opposite - white rice is the least offensive grain (according to Sisson), and lentils still have phytates, IIRC. But yes, if fermented, it will be better.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#244 of 446 Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Is the fermented rice products better than white rice? Currently we do idlis/dosa for breakfast, rice for lunch, roti/chapati (wheat) for dinner.

Quote:

Oh but usually those foods are fermented heavily traditionally. Perhaps you could just do lentils and no rice? Partway primal.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#245 of 446 Old 09-03-2011, 06:38 AM

He he, on Mark's Daily Apple he abbreviates Big Ass Salad. BAS

I don't like to do commercial mayo becuase it's made with the rancid processed oils, soybean, canola, etc. I'd rather make it from scratch with olive oil and eggs.

Quote:

Oh, I haven't had liver pate in ages!! We used to call it "chopped liver" (Mom grew up Jewish)-- that's the same thing, right? Please share recipe? yummy.gif

Are you able to sneak them into other recipes? Would he notice? My mom used to do that with us, and I've done it with my son, and my best friend's dd, and nobody's been the wiser. That girl HATES veggies of all kinds, and I put zucchini, grated, under the cheese on her pizza and she snarfed it right up thumb.gif You could shred things and add them to the burger, maybe? Or meat loaf?

What is BAS? Oh-- I live in NC and here they have Duke's mayo, which doesn't have any sugar in it. I'm moving back up north at some point, where they don't have Duke's greensad.gif but I am pretty sure their website said you can order it online. It's really good mayo, I think.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#246 of 446 Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Thank you for the feedback!  I guess 115 is a good weight, but my boobs are disappearing!!!  I feel fantastic eating this way though, so I don't intend to stop.  I stocked up on sweet potatoes yesterday and will incorporate one into my lunch today. 

Another question ~ besides eggs, what other things do you do for breakfast?  I've been sauteeing spinach, topping with 2 scrambled eggs and fresh tomato slices.  Yummy, but I could use some variety.

I'm also interested in the breakfast question.  We usually do eggs of some variety, but I'm always looking for new ideas.  

Lol, I would love for my boobs to disappear, at least a little, slowly or quickly.  

#247 of 446 Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 AM

Big Ass Salad biglaugh.gif

I am going to have to try that liver pate when I get home. I wonder if it's Hcg-P3 friendly headscratch.gif I'm sure it's probably fine.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#248 of 446 Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 AM

Breakfast ideas:

salad, smoothies, leftovers

Ideas in the comments here

Lots of recipes here, including yummy Primal pancakes

Or how about grain-free granola or hot cereal?

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#249 of 446 Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the ideas!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

Breakfast ideas:

#250 of 446 Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Yes, thank you!  I really want to try that hot cereal.  I miss my morning oatmeal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

Breakfast ideas:

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#251 of 446 Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomom View Post

Do you use already cooked bones? I've only used raw femur bones.  It would be nice to be able to use something that I normally would throw away.

Yes - we use almost exclusively already cooked bones for bone broth.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#252 of 446 Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Are you able to sneak them into other recipes? Would he notice? My mom used to do that with us, and I've done it with my son, and my best friend's dd, and nobody's been the wiser. That girl HATES veggies of all kinds, and I put zucchini, grated, under the cheese on her pizza and she snarfed it right up thumb.gif You could shred things and add them to the burger, maybe? Or meat loaf?

I think I'm going to start doing this, thanks. My ds loves the mini burger patties I make with our grass-fed beef (he calls them "baby burgers", so cute). I think I'll try to sneak some grated or purred veggies in them.  Still though, I'd love him to just like eating vegtables (or even fruit!).  He ate some frozen blueberries yesterday, so that's a start.  Every once in a while he likes raw carrots and cauliflower.  He's such a picky eater!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#253 of 446 Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 AM

How strictly does everyone follow their Paleo/primal/grain free diet? 80/20? Or more closely?

My husband and I are planning to start the Whole 30 program http://whole9life.com/2011/06/whole-30-v4/ tomorrow. We have already noticed some big improvements the last month of more loosely following this way of eating. But have been indulging in almond meal choc chip cookies and dairy products quite a bit. So we really want to see how our bodies will respond going a good length of time completely grain, legume, dairy, sugar, chocolate and caffeine free.

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#254 of 446 Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Oops, I submitted before the post was done! I'm excited, but also a bit nervous about having to be prepared everywhere we go. Wondering if anyone else is or has been this strict with it before, how it went, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#255 of 446 Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&BabyChiro View Post

How strictly does everyone follow their Paleo/primal/grain free diet? 80/20? Or more closely?

My husband and I are planning to start the Whole 30 program http://whole9life.com/2011/06/whole-30-v4/ tomorrow. We have already noticed some big improvements the last month of more loosely following this way of eating. But have been indulging in almond meal choc chip cookies and dairy products quite a bit. So we really want to see how our bodies will respond going a good length of time completely grain, legume, dairy, sugar, chocolate and caffeine free.

If you discount the fact that we use mostly conventional animal products, probably about 90/10 or closer. I drink coffee, have occasional chocolate, use a little sugar as sweetener in otherwise paleo treats for the kids and I on occasion, and have a soda or an alcoholic drink once every several weeks or so. Coffee is the only everyday "cheat".

The kids are closer - they don't drink coffee on a daily basis :) But they're also given more leeway for cheats in social situations.

I'd be willing to try Whole30 or similar, except my work schedule is such odd hours (one 12+ hour night shift, two 12+ hour day shifts that involve waking up 1.5 hours earlier than my "normal" wake time) that the idea of giving up coffee entirely is intimidating.

#256 of 446 Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&BabyChiro View Post

I drink coffee, with milk in it.  Occasionally, a piece of cheese.  No grains, sugar, legumes though.  Must.Kick.Coffee.Habit!

#257 of 446 Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM

I have weak coffee with butter and coconut cream in it, about 6 oz per day.  And I use a tsp of molasses in my smoothie for breakfast, the girls get 1 tsp of maple syrup in their plain yogurt.  We can't afford grass-fed beef.  It actually would be cheaper buying a half cow, but we can't drop 1300 bucks all at once despite the long-term savings.

So that's the gist of how un-primal we are.  No grains or legumes.

My husband hasn't bought into it completely.  He won't cook or shop for himeself so at home he eats what we have but if he's out he gets fast food with soda.

#258 of 446 Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM

In reviewing the whole 30 guidelines, I was reminded that coffee is on the ok list. Yay! I only drink decaf anyway. So yummy with a bit of coconut milk un it! I will miss red wine though...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

#259 of 446 Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM

I'd guess I'm close to 90/10, or have been (this week probably closer to 80/20). My biggest downfall is that one of my best friends owns an awesome cupcake shop winky.gif 

But today is day 150 (that's ~5 months). I'm down 25 pounds, 4 inches in the bust, 6 inches in the waist. I think if I didn't have a co-sleeping nursling, I'd have lots of energy.

My hubby just started reading "The Primal Blueprint" and he's getting on board. He doesn't need to lose weight, per se, but he's gotten kind of "skinny fat" in the years since our son was born. And our son has gotten very dependent on candy and other "treats" - this is DH's biggest reason for taking the household Primal. I'm looking forward to it, but a little nervous since DS is 4.5 and has entered that picky eater stage. I used to feel so smug that he would eat ANYTHING, and these days it's only yogurt, (grass-fed beef) hot dogs, carrots and hummus. I won't be taking him fully Primal, but will be ditching the grains for him. He gets to keep dairy :)

#260 of 446 Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWmama View PostI think I'm going to start doing this, thanks. My ds loves the mini burger patties I make with our grass-fed beef (he calls them "baby burgers", so cute). I think I'll try to sneak some grated or purred veggies in them.  Still though, I'd love him to just like eating vegtables (or even fruit!).  He ate some frozen blueberries yesterday, so that's a start.  Every once in a while he likes raw carrots and cauliflower.  He's such a picky eater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View PostDS is 4.5 and has entered that picky eater stage. I used to feel so smug that he would eat ANYTHING, and these days it's only yogurt, (grass-fed beef) hot dogs, carrots and hummus. I won't be taking him fully Primal, but will be ditching the grains for him. He gets to keep dairy :)

I so hear that about picky. Yours is, what, 5, PNWmama? Don't worry about it, really, nor you, karen-- mine's 10 and he used to be the exact.same.way. Start now with things like...one of the things I did early on was introduce the Ugly Food Principle. Our church had done this really neat thing in PreK with an ugly wrapped package compared to a pretty one wrapped with a sparkly bow. The ugly one had the cool contents, and the pretty one contained nothing. The lesson was about people, how you never know what's "inside", but I took it further, with food. I told ds, you know how sometimes a food is really gross looking but it tastes incredible? Like a smashed piece of cake, for instance. Or you can have something really pretty and it tastes like cardboard. That's how I got him to start trying things. Also the idea that "What if I don't like it?"-- I said, one time, "What if you DO??" and he really took that to heart. He realized he could be missing out on a whole host of liking things, not to mention, you only have the Yuck Factor once-- if he didn't like it, he never has to have it again, and it was only yucky for one second. That's not so bad.

PNW-- he will. He will eat vegetables for themselves. Have patience hug2.gif Give him lots of the ones he does like, and maybe ONE bite of something new each week. Introduce the Ugly Food Principle and the One Second Yuck Factor lol.gif

Have you tried frozen veggies? Right from the container? He's a little old, maybe, but mine at 2yo or so used to LOVE them, though it made me want to hurl.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#261 of 446 Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I so hear that about picky. Yours is, what, 5, PNWmama? Don't worry about it, really, nor you, karen-- mine's 10 and he used to be the exact.same.way. Start now with things like...one of the things I did early on was introduce the Ugly Food Principle. Our church had done this really neat thing in PreK with an ugly wrapped package compared to a pretty one wrapped with a sparkly bow. The ugly one had the cool contents, and the pretty one contained nothing. The lesson was about people, how you never know what's "inside", but I took it further, with food. I told ds, you know how sometimes a food is really gross looking but it tastes incredible? Like a smashed piece of cake, for instance. Or you can have something really pretty and it tastes like cardboard. That's how I got him to start trying things. Also the idea that "What if I don't like it?"-- I said, one time, "What if you DO??" and he really took that to heart. He realized he could be missing out on a whole host of liking things, not to mention, you only have the Yuck Factor once-- if he didn't like it, he never has to have it again, and it was only yucky for one second. That's not so bad.

PNW-- he will. He will eat vegetables for themselves. Have patience hug2.gif Give him lots of the ones he does like, and maybe ONE bite of something new each week. Introduce the Ugly Food Principle and the One Second Yuck Factor lol.gif

Have you tried frozen veggies? Right from the container? He's a little old, maybe, but mine at 2yo or so used to LOVE them, though it made me want to hurl.

Hmm, I'm wondering if you could take the Ugly Food Principle a step further and talk about how some foods that are pretty (cake, sweets, etc) are nutritionally empty, while some foods that we don't like so much (greens, etc) are full of good stuff.

sosurreal09 likes this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#262 of 446 Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View PostHmm, I'm wondering if you could take the Ugly Food Principle a step further and talk about how some foods that are pretty (cake, sweets, etc) are nutritionally empty, while some foods that we don't like so much (greens, etc) are full of good stuff.

Well...you could, but when I was a kid, I used to clam right up at the words "good for you" lol.gif You could, though, say that, for instance, green beans are ugly but are full of good stuff.

But I find that using the theory to explain taste goes a lot further. I don't believe for a red hot second that kids care a whit about nutrition. But that's my experience shrug.gif I don't know why we forget that when we become parents! winky.gif

No, I have never said "because I said so" lol.gif (and yes, I'm lying through my teeth)!

#263 of 446 Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Oh fellow primals, I am straying from this diet trying to figure out what is going on with me. This morning I had oatmeal and ya know what, I felt great. Crazy I know. It is like I am a pendulum and not at the right place. I was vegetarian and felt great at first and then absolutely horrible for years afterward. Then going TF and felt great at first and then terrible. Now primal, and great at first but then my body is not thriving at all. I still feel better than ever but not at my peak and not what I would call sustained. So I am going to do primal with some oatmeal and see how that goes. I know ya'll would say white rice is the least detrimental grain, but rice really messes with me.
#264 of 446 Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 AM

Oh my goodness!  I made this hot cereal for breakfast today and YUM!!!!!  I've been craving my morning oatmeal since the weather has gotten fallish, and a bowl of this totally hit the spot.  Seriously, better then my old oatmeal ever tasted.  Lots of nut, so I'm sure high in calories, but so worth it!  I'll have to try it out on the kids tomorrow morning.  Thank you Karen for linking this recipe in  your post on the previous page.

#265 of 446 Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Oh fellow primals, I am straying from this diet trying to figure out what is going on with me. This morning I had oatmeal and ya know what, I felt great. Crazy I know. It is like I am a pendulum and not at the right place. I was vegetarian and felt great at first and then absolutely horrible for years afterward. Then going TF and felt great at first and then terrible. Now primal, and great at first but then my body is not thriving at all. I still feel better than ever but not at my peak and not what I would call sustained. So I am going to do primal with some oatmeal and see how that goes. I know ya'll would say white rice is the least detrimental grain, but rice really messes with me.

I feel this way, too!  Although I haven't actually started being Primal yet (just looking and dabbling) every other regieme I've started has started great but then I don't feel so great after a while.  So if you ever do find your answer, please share.  I would like to know why it is.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#266 of 446 Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

So I stayed at a friends house for a few days and *tried* to stay primal...but we had pasta as a meal one day...

Well as you guys know I am pregnant. Let's just say my body rejected the wheat like never before I was sick for a couple of DAYS. I had the runs (TMI sorry) like 10x every day after eating it...Then yesterday I very very stupidly ate a doughnut someone offered me (seriously I know, WTH was I thinking?) I was sick all day long maybe 20 trips to the bathroom...

So looks like I am on strict primal this pregnancy!

I did try adding some dairy to see if it affected my nursling. I haven't noticed a change in here so far..What do you guys think about dairy? I know it's allowed limited, but IDK I question if it's actually good for us. I added a bit of heavy organic cream for tea/smoothies and added in some cheese.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#267 of 446 Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM

for us, we do dairy. However never pasturized....only raw. That's for cheese, yogurt, kefir, milk and cream

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#268 of 446 Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Lazuri, have you heard of the low-carb flu? It's a silly name for what sometimes happens when we change our eating - we feel worse before we feel better! In your case you have that bit of feeling better before feeling worse. But I wonder if you just need to give it more time? I don't know what your time frame is here...how long better, how long worse. I also went through some not feeling good stages in the early days (first month or two.)  Have you looked into leaky gut syndrome? Or FODMAPs? I wonder if any of that info would help you suss out the issues.

If you feel you MUST have oatmeal, then you must...there are no Paleo police who are going to give you a ticket. winky.gif  I would, however, maker sure it's gluten-free oatmeal. Bob's Red Mill offers both rolled and steel-cut certified gluten free oats; I'm sure other companies do as well.

I'm glad people are liking the hot cereal! I haven't tried it yet myself (we're having a heat wave at the moment), but it's on my list when the chilly mornings arrive.

We do do dairy...not much for me, but lots for my son. I buy grass-fed when I can, organic when I can't; raw is difficult to obtain here in Oregon. If you are concerned dairy isn't good for you, I say cut it out for 30 days and see how you feel. Then reintroduce at full levels and see how you feel. I do OK with butter, yogurt, and cream, but had some ice cream a few weeks back that really messed with my gut. It can be very individual. But esp. if you are of Northern European descent, you might be OK with some dairy.

#269 of 446 Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Anyone know what in squash might be causing me (and the baby :( ) problems?

We grew a lot of squash in the garden this year, and it's becoming clear that it's causing me and the baby digestive symptoms - gas, diarrhea, mucousy poop for the baby. I didn't mind when it was just the pattypans because I'm not all that fond of them, but the yummy winter squashes that are starting to come ripe seem to be causing similar issues, and I'm a little heartbroken about that - I've been having a lot of fun with them (and we have a LOT of them growing).

Zucchini is fine. I have similar issues from large amounts of carrots.

FODMAPS don't seem to be the issue here - I haven't noted problems with most of the foods on that list, and squashes aren't particularly high in FODMAPS anyways.

#270 of 446 Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

Anyone know what in squash might be causing me (and the baby :( ) problems?

We grew a lot of squash in the garden this year, and it's becoming clear that it's causing me and the baby digestive symptoms - gas, diarrhea, mucousy poop for the baby. I didn't mind when it was just the pattypans because I'm not all that fond of them, but the yummy winter squashes that are starting to come ripe seem to be causing similar issues, and I'm a little heartbroken about that - I've been having a lot of fun with them (and we have a LOT of them growing).

Zucchini is fine. I have similar issues from large amounts of carrots.

FODMAPS don't seem to be the issue here - I haven't noted problems with most of the foods on that list, and squashes aren't particularly high in FODMAPS anyways.

Ouch!  I can't find any references, but I'm wondering about inulin--or perhaps it's simply too much fiber for you?

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

Tags
Diet Cure For Common Ailments , The Infertility Cleanse Detox Diet And Dharma For Fertility , Special Diets For Special Kids Volumes 1 And 2 Combined Over 200 Revised Gluten Free Casein Free Rec

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page