How to get my son to gain healthy weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 4.5 years old. He started out at a very healthy weight at birth of 8 pounds 9 ounces. Since then, he has not even been on a growth chart his growth is so slow. At 4.5 he weighs 30 pounds and hasn't gained weight in a year. He probably has Celiac disease (we haven't bee able to draw blood to verify but he had a very serious reaction to wheat) and I believe his gut is severely damaged (leaky gut) as a result which I am working to repair. He can't eat nuts, eggs, milk, strawberries, shellfish, or even most grains and most allergenic foods.

Right now I don't know how to get him to put on weight. I am sure feeding him lots of sugar would do it, but I want him to be healthy and to heal his gut.

I would appreciate any ideas. TFing doesn't really work for him because he can't eat most of the highly nutritious TF foods. I have ordered him some Dr Ron's liver capsules since he doesn't really like liver but will take those if I open them in his mouth.

I am really worried that his growth will be stunted for life if I can't get him to start gaining and absorbing nutrients properly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM

It sounds like he is the perfect canadate for the GAPS diet.  I've seen slow to grow kids gain weight and grow like crazy on gaps.  It will heal his gut and may even take care of several of those allergies.

My 3 year old has always had weight issues and when we went completely grain free with her (in January) she has gained 16 pounds and grown 3 inches and is a healthy size for her age for the first time since she was born.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#3 of 4 Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

GAPs was going to be my last effort to try, but it looks like I will have too. Do I need to get the book for it or just use the online info?

#4 of 4 Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 PM

I too have a 30lb 4yr old and am looking for ways to help him gain. He doesnt seem to have any food sensitivities and his father and I are both on the small side(dh is 5'9" 145lbs)

Doc seems to think he's fine and it's just related to genetics. IMO, I think it could be something food related since he still has loose bms' from time to time.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page