Farm is going to start pasteurizing milk! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We get our milk from a wonderful dairy farm.  They have cow shares and we pick up the milk at our local farmer's market.

Another local farm had a couple of people get Q fever and they are blaming the raw milk.

So our farm's insurance company will not cover them selling raw milk anymore.  They are going to low temp vat pasteurization.  I am so upset.  I love the raw milk and in two years have never had a problem with it.  It makes me so frustrated that we as a society are so caught up with this issue.  Did everyone who sells spinach lose their insurance after the e coli outbreak?  We have had so many meat and produce recalls and everyone just accepts it as part of the food distribution risk.  You can get Q fever by just inhaling barn dust too- should we wear environmental suits to work on a farm or visit the zoo?

Crazy, we are a crazy society.

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#2 of 6 Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

Producers whose spinach was associated with the e. coli outbreak (or any other food-borne illness outbreak) were fined, which probably would have impacted their insurance premiums.  

#3 of 6 Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

what state are you in?

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Huh, I just toured a local dairy that does the low temp pasturization.  They don't homogenize the milk.  They were claiming all sorts of benefits; they said that low temp pasturization won't kill the good stuff, just the bad.  They also had a health reason why they didn't homogenize.  I was very impressed with the entire place, their cows were noticably healthy and well taken care of.  

I was actually going online to find information about raw vs low temp vs ultra-pasturization as well as homogenized vs not homogenized.  

The farmer who seemed very knowledgable said that they do low temp primarily so they can sell at stores, but that the research indicated that low temp had the benefits of raw without the risk.  Although she admitted that with her cows, the risk would be minimal because of the steps they take to prevent problems.  

amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM

So no beneficial bacteria exists below 140 or whatever qualifies for low-temp pasteurization these days and only "bad" bacteria is dies at that temp?  That's a heck of a claim for him to make.  

Not homogenizing is definitely a good thing.  Homogenization smashes the fat globules to the point your body doesn't recognize them for what they are and that can cause all sorts of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Huh, I just toured a local dairy that does the low temp pasturization.  They don't homogenize the milk.  They were claiming all sorts of benefits; they said that low temp pasturization won't kill the good stuff, just the bad.  They also had a health reason why they didn't homogenize.  I was very impressed with the entire place, their cows were noticably healthy and well taken care of.  

I was actually going online to find information about raw vs low temp vs ultra-pasturization as well as homogenized vs not homogenized.  

The farmer who seemed very knowledgable said that they do low temp primarily so they can sell at stores, but that the research indicated that low temp had the benefits of raw without the risk.  Although she admitted that with her cows, the risk would be minimal because of the steps they take to prevent problems.  

amy

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 6 Old 09-05-2011, 04:33 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Now you know why I went online to dig up some research.  I thought that some of her claims were perhaps a bit far fetched.

Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

So no beneficial bacteria exists below 140 or whatever qualifies for low-temp pasteurization these days and only "bad" bacteria is dies at that temp?  That's a heck of a claim for him to make.  

Not homogenizing is definitely a good thing.  Homogenization smashes the fat globules to the point your body doesn't recognize them for what they are and that can cause all sorts of problems.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page