Primal and affordable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you all afford to eat primal? Dp and I made an attempt the last time we went shopping and we spent $50 on food that lasted us 2 days! Im obviously doing something wrong!

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 05:11 PM

what did you buy?  

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

A head of broccoli, 2 zucchini, 4 apples, eggs, milk, 1 red pepper, and romaine lettuce.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

A head of broccoli, 2 zucchini, 4 apples, eggs, milk, 1 red pepper, and romaine lettuce. = $50.00?

dizzy.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Where do you live?  That seems like a lot of money for not a lot of food.  

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

And that lasted 2 days???

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, first maybe try finding local grass fed eggs.  Usually local is more reasonable than store bought organic.  Find a local raw milk source which is often cheaper than store bought organic milk, and SO much better for you.

Try shopping at a different store for organic produce.  Some stores are really outrageous.  My Albertsons has really reasonably priced organic produce, but the health food stores are double the price.

You could also grow your own food, and this time of year, go to farmers markets, just be sure to ask if they treat their garden with chemicals.  There is also azurestandard.com, depending on where you live.  They deliver to a drop point near you once a month and you pick up your stuff from a refer truck.  Just contact their customer service and ask if they deliver to your area.   Their produce and most of their non-perishables are very reasonably priced, but some of the dairy and meat items are pretty expensive.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are eating less organic since going primal. It is the only way we can afford it. I think we spend $15 to $20 a day on food. Way too much IMO.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 AM

IME it is extremely expensive to eat Primal. So actually, for me, the answer to your question is that I can't afford it. lol.gif  I settle for keeping my breakfasts and some of my lunches and dinners Primal, but I do include rice and beans at a lot of meals to keep the budget under control. And I buy mostly conventional produce at this point, so I don't find the farmer's market to be a way to save money, except on organic pasture-produced eggs (I save about $1.25 a dozen when I buy them there versus the HFS). Buying supermarket meat would probably make it a lot more affordable, but I'm not willing to do that, so I'm saving up for a chest freezer and bulk meat purchases from a few local farmers. I also buy a lot of stuff (including some produce and nuts) at Costco, and I'm looking into getting produce from Bountiful Baskets as well. So those things help, but it's still pretty pricey.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM

wow - and I thought food here was expensive! I looked at my receipt from groceries the other day and I had purchased all of the items you mentioned - it came to just under $20 for them all....

If I was to eat primal by only going to the grocery store, I couldn't afford the meats or the organic aspects. But by buying at farmer's markets, a local beef farmer (still trying to find one) and local eggs its much easier. They may not be textbook primal but they are close enough to reap the majority of the benefits. I think people get caught up in the fact that primal's major point is to avoid toxins. The biggest source of toxins are grains and commercially prepared foods. If you avoid those you are doing a darn good job. So cook your foods at home - don't buy it in a box. Avoid grains as much as you can - have a vegetable instead of a piece of toast. Have an orange instead of a cookie - minor changes like that to start.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!

User Tag List