Paleo and Pregnant... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there any good resources out there?  I just started eating paleo a week before finding out I'm pg, so do I need to adjust my eating in anyway?

Thanks!

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM

i started a thread in the april due date club. I think it's the healthiest possible way to eat while pregnant.
www.mothering.com/community/t/1326761/primal-paleo-pregnancy
Ps, congratulations!

heartbeat.gif

Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just be sure to eat lots of protien and fresh fruits and veggies:)   Pregnant women need lots of protein.  Not necessarily  animal sources  of protein, but just make sure if you dont eat animal products you are varrying your protein sources- raw nuts/seeds, beans, peas, whole grains, etc, so you are getting complete proteins.  Personally I would at least add raw goats milk, second choice would be raw cows milk:)

Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Just be sure to eat lots of protien and fresh fruits and veggies:)   Pregnant women need lots of protein.  Not necessarily  animal sources  of protein, but just make sure if you dont eat animal products you are varrying your protein sources- raw nuts/seeds, beans, peas, whole grains, etc, so you are getting complete proteins.  Personally I would at least add raw goats milk, second choice would be raw cows milk:)

hi

what are you basing this on? What you are saying here is quite different than the data that i am seeing in paleo pregnancy literature. Please give your reference.ien and fresh fruits and veggies:)   Pregnant women need lots of protein.  Not necessarily  animal sources  of protein, but just make sure if you dont eat animal products you are varrying your protein sources- raw nuts/seeds, beans, peas, whole grains, etc, so you are getting complete proteins.  Personally I would at least add raw goats milk, second choice would be raw cows milk:)[/quote]

hi

what are you basing this on? What you are saying here is quite different than the data that i am seeing in paleo pregnancy literature. Please give your reference.

heartbeat.gif

Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM

O goodness.   I thought this was a pretty well known fact.  My Dr and Midwife would be two of my references.  Ina May Gaskin/her books would be another.   I guess that I've known this for so long and I have done so much research that I dont have a apecific reference at the moment, but I will look it up again and get back to you with some specifics.  I have actually never run across anything that said anything different than how important protein is(it is the building block of our body, and therefor your baby's body.  Since you are creating a new person and that person is made of a lot of protien, it only makes sense to me to consume a lot of protein).   I have read, for example, in Ina Mays books, that a healthy diet(she recommends vegetarian, high protein, lots of fruits and veggies just like I have read and heard many other places, but I'm not completely vegetarian) can prevent so many common pregnancy/birth complications such as preeclamsia and make for an easier pregnancy and birth.

I guess fresh fruits and veggies only make sense to me too because of all the vitamins, antioxidants, etc that they contain.

I will look into this more later after DD goes to bed and find some specific sites and stuff for you.  What are you finding that is quite different?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:

O goodness.   I thought this was a pretty well known fact.  My Dr and Midwife would be two of my references.  Ina May Gaskin/her books would be another.   I guess that I've known this for so long and I have done so much research that I dont have a apecific reference at the moment, but I will look it up again and get back to you with some specifics.  I have actually never run across anything that said anything different than how important protein is(it is the building block of our body, and therefor your baby's body.  Since you are creating a new person and that person is made of a lot of protien, it only makes sense to me to consume a lot of protein).   I have read, for example, in Ina Mays books, that a healthy diet(she recommends vegetarian, high protein, lots of fruits and veggies just like I have read and heard many other places, but I'm not completely vegetarian) can prevent so many common pregnancy/birth complications such as preeclamsia and make for an easier pregnancy and birth.

I guess fresh fruits and veggies only make sense to me too because of all the vitamins, antioxidants, etc that they contain.

I will look into this more later after DD goes to bed and find some specific sites and stuff for you.  What are you finding that is quite different?

In general Paleo (and Primal) diets emphasize animal proteins, animal fats, some nuts/seeds, green vegetables, seasonal fruits. But avoids sugar, grains, dairy and certain startchy vegetables like beans and peas (sometimes). The OP is looking for information on eating Paleo while pregnant, as opposed to the typical high protein ( or vegetarian) diet that is more common place.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:58 PM

If it emphasizes meats and nuts and seeds then that seems pretty high protein to me, and animal proteins are complete proteins so thats great as well. I was under the impression that the diet was a meat free diet so thats why i said that there are other sources than meat, but if you want to eat meat thats great. I also thought that she was asking why i was recommending lots of protein and fruits and veggies(which is the part I thought was everyone knew was important) but it sounds like thats a big part of this diet so thats awesome. And i totally agree that refined sugar and processed foods should be avoided. Sounds like i was a little confused and misinformed, sorry!  :)

Old 09-09-2011, 04:33 PM

thanks for clearing up the confusion. I cant see doing paleo without meat but that's just me.

cordain recommends moderate protein during pregnancy, not high protein. Too much leads to problems.
thepaleodiet.blogspot.com/2010/07/protein-intake-for-pregnant-women.html
I dont agree with his stance on some things but i dont think that anyone should overdo the protein. There's only so much one person can assimilate in a day. The Eades have some great charts for protein intake and i generally use their portion size recommendations.

So, moderate protein, ample healthy fats! And tons of green leafie and salad veggies are my main focus right now.

Nuts and seeds can be high in the wrong kinds of fats. I use them sparingly. I get my protein from meats fish and eggs anyways.

heartbeat.gif

Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Nuts and seeds are high in unsaturated fats, the good ones.  Coconuts are the only nut high in sat fat that I know of.  I am not personally in to low fat diets anyway so I am not concerned.  And I guess I didnt mean super high protien intake, I certainly wasnt suggesting 100g a day or anything!  I think around 50 to 60 is more what I concentrate on.  and yes, totally green leafy's!!  I dont even remember where I heard that paleo diet was meat free, but obviously that source was wrong:)

Here are some links I like on fats and protiens.  this whole site is awesome IMO for info on food and its nutrients, antioxidants, etc.  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=117    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=92     It has nothing to do with pregnancy, just info on the foods, nutrients, etc.  You can look up almost any food and find its in depth nutrient profile, studies that have been done on it, etc.

And yes too much protein can most certainly cause problems!!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM

paleodietlifestyle.com/are-nuts-and-seeds-healthy/

try this link for info about pufas, o3 vs o6 fats in nuts etc from a paleo point of view. Most nuts are wayyy high in o6's. Thus to be eaten .sparingly. if at all.aleo point of view. Most nuts are wayyy high in o6's. Thus to be eaten .sparingly. if at all.

heartbeat.gif

Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM

I have heard things about O-6's being bad actually.  I read the entire article, and it is interesting and certainly something to think about.  You must keep in mind, however, that it probably is biased a bit because the author is trying to sell something.  And, I know it may not be right, but the fact that the article had spelling mistakes makes me question it a little too:(

The other thing that I noticed is that the article never did say who O-6's are bad, just that they are contributing to ill health in this country, and that they are worse when oxidized(yes I agree all nuts should be eaten raw)

Anyway I am not trying to argue, and I certainly appreciate hearing someone else's point of view and ideas.  It does make me think, and I will keep that in mind when eating nuts:)  We dont eat that many nuts anyway, and when we do they are raw, so I think we're on the right track:)

Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I have heard things about O-6's being bad actually.  I read the entire article, and it is interesting and certainly something to think about.  You must keep in mind, however, that it probably is biased a bit because the author is trying to sell something.  And, I know it may not be right, but the fact that the article had spelling mistakes makes me question it a little too:(

The other thing that I noticed is that the article never did say who O-6's are bad, just that they are contributing to ill health in this country, and that they are worse when oxidized(yes I agree all nuts should be eaten raw)

Anyway I am not trying to argue, and I certainly appreciate hearing someone else's point of view and ideas.  It does make me think, and I will keep that in mind when eating nuts:)  We dont eat that many nuts anyway, and when we do they are raw, so I think we're on the right track:)

O-6's are bad because they are pro-inflammatory, whereas O-3's are good in comparison because they are anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is thought to be one of the causes of a lot of "Western" diseases, including depression, obesity, and heart disease. So overall, you want your O-6 intake to be balanced by your O-3 intake so as to minimize inflammation in the body. And it's best to keep your overall intake of both relatively low, since they are prone to oxidation, which is bad for you. Nuts and seeds generally are higher in O-6 than O-3, hence the concern.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about adjusting your eating now that you're pregnant. A diet based on meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and fruits is a healthy diet, pregnant or not! Just pay attention to how you feel. Make sure to have plenty of quick Paleo snacks around. If you are feeling hungry a lot, you could experiment with adding more starch to your meals in the form of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, or even white rice (which is a relatively "safe" starch even though it is a grain). If you're able to, you could also try to work some organ meats or small amounts of shellfish into your diet, as these are incredibly nutrient-dense foods and would be great for you and your baby. Personally I would have had trouble adding those to my diet during early pregnancy, but if you can do it, it would be great. But don't stress about it.

Here's a link to an interesting blog post about a Paleo pregnancy and the resulting Paleo baby that I thought was interesting. It has a bit of that new-parent thing where he thinks that every amazing thing about their baby is a result of their parenting choices lol.gif but still pretty cool.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody!  I will start following the thread you started, moss.  Honestly, the thought of only eating meat and veggies grosses me out right now, but I was loving it pre-pregnancy.  Now I just want some crunchy, carby crap.  Argh.  I bought some rice crackers and rice cakes to fulfill that desire.  I think for now I'm not going to be super strict because I want to enjoy food.  We have been very good about grocery shopping, so at least when I want to eat badly I don't have much to go for!  

Bodhitree- I read the blog post, it is very inspirational!  Thanks for sharing! I bought some chicken livers at Whole Foods the other day but I have no clue how to eat them...any suggestions?  Organ meats are so much cheaper, I think I better start liking those more. ;)

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post

Bodhitree- I read the blog post, it is very inspirational!  Thanks for sharing! I bought some chicken livers at Whole Foods the other day but I have no clue how to eat them...any suggestions?  Organ meats are so much cheaper, I think I better start liking those more. ;)

I'm an organ-meats noob myself, so I don't have any amazing recipes, sorry. But I'm sure someone around here does!

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I haven't tried this recipe (just starting to look into organ meats), but this is the best looking liver recipe I've seen so far!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crispy-liver-hash-brown-patties/

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

User Tag List