delete - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ddddd

d

#2 of 9 Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I shake the cream in!  I can't stand skim milk, so I don't ever skim our drinking milk.  But the cream can be used for whipping, for coffee, for cooking/baking with, and for butter.  Yum!

With the leftover skim you could make a quick ricotta using citric acid.

Cow milk is yellowish because cows convert Vit A into beta-carotene.  But goats (and Ayrshire cattle) don't - the milk is always white, no matter what they are fed.  The color varies by breed - grassfed Holstein milk is usually whiter than non-grassfed Jersey milk.

Good raw milk should last 10 days.  I usually tell people that you can count on 7 days, usually 10, and if you store an unopened bottle properly, it might last 2 or more weeks.  I've found it takes 2-3 weeks for a bottle to sour, but after a week the taste starts to fade.

#3 of 9 Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

d

#4 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM

I shake the cream in. Don't throw it out! Even if you didn't want to drink it, you can use it make excellent butter! I noticed a bit of a yellow color in some I just got, the lady said one of her cows had given birth recently and the milk was exceptionally rich in cream right now. mmmm good.

I usually drink it cultured, as clabber, yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir.

I've had the raw milk last two weeks in the fridge and still taste good. But I actually like it soured so I might just not notice any off taste. I keep my fridge just above freezing.

#5 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

d

#6 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 AM

I haven't tried making butter yet, but the easiest ways I've seen online to do it are to let the cream separate to the top of the milk, then siphon that off (or use a cream separator, which is basically a large jar with a spout at the bottom, so you can pour off the milk portion until all that is left is cream). Then put the cream into a blender or food processor and whip it until the butter and buttermilk are formed. Then you put that into a wooden bowl and press it with a spatula to work out the buttermilk. Then you can wash the butter with water (makes it keep longer) and that's about it. You can culture/ferment the cream first - that's the way I'm planning to do it when I try it.

#7 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Maybe I'm too gentle with my raw milk... somehow I picked up the idea that I wasn't supposed to shake it, just gentle agitation to blend the cream in. Some delicate little beneficial thing in the milk can't handle a nice shake? Would love to know if anyone has a real fact to share on this.

Meanwhile, my answer is - gentle agitation and then cupfuls a day for me and my son.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#8 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I know you arent supposed to shake breastmilk because it can destroy something? in it, and I have always tried to be careful with my raw milk too as well:)

#9 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I know you arent supposed to shake breastmilk because it can destroy something? in it, and I have always tried to be careful with my raw milk too as well:)

I have never heard of this and I feel I have read a good bit about nursing...

To the OP I shake our jug a couple times before pouring. Twice now I have brought a new gallon in from the garage while family was visiting and they cracked into it first to pour on their cereal...didn't know to shake and poured off all cream! greensad.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page