Health benefits from kombucha? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just saw this weird looking drink at whole foods, I was looking for something probiotic cause my stomach has been bothering me for almost a week. I'm really curious if anyone can really attribute any health benefits they've received from drinking this? I understand that it's been around for thousands of years at all, but I still wonder... Also, websites day it smells like ACV, do people really brew this at home with that smell?

#2 of 4 Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

DH brews this at home and it smells fruity-fermenty like the tea he brews with it.  Nothing bad at all.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 4 Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It helps me tremendously with digestive, gallblader, and just that vague ick feeling. It is my favorite fermented food/drink.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

try it. the store bought ones are mild. the best is making them at home. no there is a difference between smell and taste. k does not smell as it tastes. btw i use it to rinse my hair too.

why don't you try drinking k for say a week or two and then see how you feel? i mean you are drinking a living thing. 

try brewing it at home. that to me is the real thing and tastes even better than store bought flavored ones. but in the beginning just try the store ones so you can get used to the taste.

instead of sugar i use sucanat - pure dried sugarcane juice. i like mine to be more vinegary so let it ferment a little longer. 

and just for your pleasure.

http://blog.ted.com/2011/05/04/grow-your-own-clothes-suzanne-lee-on-ted-com/

many people swear by it. it has even helped some with cancer. however i think half of it really has nothing to do with k or anything else but in just believing - in the brain. so if you believe it it will work. 

for some of my friends i know it has had an impact on their pain levels from fibromyalgia. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page