expired raw milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 gallons of raw milk in the back of my fridge, unopened, that I bought before realizing I had a thrush infection I needed to fix. So, I went dairy-free for two weeks and the milk is now well past its expiration date.

Can I still safely use it to make whey or yogurt or some other things like that? I hate to waste it all! Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM

raw milk never goes bad. Go ahead and open one up. If it has never been opened, it may stll be sweet.

If not, make clabber cheese. Either cottage or harder.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#3 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Right, some people keep raw milk a month of longer, and if it is just above freezing in the refrigerator, it may still even be sweet. Otherwise it will slowly start to sour as the lactose gets converted to lactic acid. But this is a good thing; rather than rot like pasteurized store 'milk', raw milk actually preserves itself. Some sources suggest though if it has started to sour quite a bit, that it should be left at 80F for 24 hours to fully clabber. I believe this is to make sure that any pathogenic bacteria that might be harboring in there get completely crowded out by the beneficial bacteria.

#4 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! It does get near freezing in the back of the fridge, so I am going to get it out and test it! And I've been meaning to try making cottage cheese, guess this is a good time to do it!

I don't really understand what "clabber" means though--is this explained in Nourishing Traditions or some other resource I could look at?

#5 of 9 Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes, clabbering is explained in Nourishing Traditions. Basically you just leave the milk sit at room temperature for 24 hours, then re-refrigerate. Some resources suggest it should be at 80F for 24 hours.

I'm not sure about clabber cheese, though. Do you just take the well clabbered milk and strain it through cheese cloth to get out the whey?

#6 of 9 Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Actually, true clabber is left on the counter uncovered until it molds a wee bit. Tastes like blue cheese!
Personally, I leave it on the counter covered until it separates.
Then I strain it for raw cheese. I use a thin tea towel, or a colander lined with coffee filters, set over a bowl.
You can make it whatever consistency you want.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#7 of 9 Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Hm....that sounds interesting! Do you scrape the mold off, or just eat it? I had some raw milk in a quart jar that I was trying to separate into curds and whey, and it did it, after about a week. But there was some orangish mold that formed on it, not a whole lot, and some bluish mold. Wasn't sure if that was still edible?

It's been on the counter now four about a month, and it is nice and separated into curds and whey, but the mold has grown a bit more though. (It was covered with a lid the whole time).

#8 of 9 Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post

Hm....that sounds interesting! Do you scrape the mold off, or just eat it? I had some raw milk in a quart jar that I was trying to separate into curds and whey, and it did it, after about a week. But there was some orangish mold that formed on it, not a whole lot, and some bluish mold. Wasn't sure if that was still edible?

It's been on the counter now four about a month, and it is nice and separated into curds and whey, but the mold has grown a bit more though. (It was covered with a lid the whole time).

Please throw this away. Raw milk should not be left out for a month. What is the temperature in your house?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 9 Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 PM

If it stinks, I would not use it.  But for the future, you can make buttermilk before it gets old.  Once cultured the buttermilk keeps for a very very long time in the fridge.

I use a conventional live culture buttermilk to start the culture and then keep at room temp a couple of days.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page