Nutrient/Calorie Dense easy to swallow foods/liquids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering if you ladies could help me out. My father's esophagus basically doesn't work so he can't eat much of anything these days without it coming back up or getting stuck going down. He has procedures now and then to help stretch his esophagus out so that he has an easier time eating but currently he's losing weight and doesn't really have any to lose. So I have been thinking about things he might be able to try. Any thoughts? He's not a traditional foods eater so I was thinking you guys might be able to recommend something he hasn't thought of.

Just a few other notes... He can't do fresh fruits or veggies as he is allergic but he can handle them cooked. Breads etc are definitely out since they swell up when eaten and I think cheese is no good either. Thankfully he can do meats if he puts them through a meat grinder. Everything has to be cut up very small or able to become small when eaten. (I think he did semi ok with a lamb burger the other day and some crabcake when we went out to eat to celebrate my birthday but most of the time he has to stick to soups/stews.)

Thank you!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM

How does he do on dairy? Can you do maybe whole milk kefir or yogurt, possibly (not exactly TF here) blended with some steamed greens, fruits, and some sort of fat like CLO or flax oil or something. Maybe he would like mashed sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon and cream.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Could he get a Vitamix? It can liquefy just about anything.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
My favorite meal replacement is a coconut milk smoothie - half a can of coconut milk, a couple of berries, a tbsp or so of coconut oil and some ice. Very filling, nutritious, calorie dense, seriously keeps me sated for a looong time.

Poached eggs? I sometimes add a raw yolk to my smoothies, can't taste it.

I hope he gets well!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Maybe try making a hearty liquified soup and adding coconut oil/butter or avocado when liquifying?  I would try adding as much fat to any of the things that he can eat by adding oils, raw butter, avocado, etc.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

User Tag List