Coconut butter/manna/cream Qs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just discovered this stuff and I'm so excited!  I've been trying to find good ways to add fat to my diet and this is so yummy and, I think, healthy.  I have juvenile diabetes and a crazy-high-fat diet does me a world of good.

Anyway...  I was wondering a couple of things.  First, the one I've tried is Artisana Coconut Butter and I also just ordered some coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions.  Then there's also this Nutiva Coconut Manna, which is quite a bit cheaper, and has free shipping over $30.  But the Nutiva stuff is made from dried coconut.  Does anyone have an opinion on how that affects it?  For all I know the coconut is dried for Artisana and TT, too, but I didn't see that on their websites.  The other thing is that you can get the Nutiva in a five pound bag, but it doesn't say anywhere how to store it or what the shelf life is, so I'm curious about that.  So far I'm eating between 2 and 4 T a day and I don't *think* I'll ever go above that, so it'll take me a little while to get through five pounds.

I'm also wondering how you guys use it.  So far I've only had it plain and I'm pretty happy with that.  But I'd love to find some other uses, too.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#2 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM

I love Artisana coconut butter!! I haven't tried the Nutiva one because friends who have tried it all told me that Artisana's is worth the extra few bucks.  I go through a jar in about 1 or 2 weeks.  I eat it by the spoon, and add it to smoothies.  You can also spread it on toast.  I think the 5 lb unit of Nutiva coconut butter sounds like a bit of a hassle, their website says you have to melt the entire contents of the bag, blend, and pour into seperate containers.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#3 of 6 Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 PM

We like both, we do not find that much difference in taste so I usually get the Nutiva one that is cheaper.

Try it on hot pancakes, it is absolutely delicious!

#4 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Just wait until you try the TT - I've tried all that you've mentioned, and the taste of TT is honestly much better.  It's amazing...I eat it off the spoon.  So good.  I bought two quarts for $40 I think, and it's going to last me a while.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2011, 06:54 PM

I find the texture of Artisana coconut cream much smoother than Tropical Traditions.  I can enjoy it by the spoonful, whereas the TT feels caught in my throat and I have to wash it down with water.  I've used coconut cream in curry sauce and in paleo friendly icing for a birthday cake.  My husband likes it in his coffee, while I prefer coconut oil in my coffee.  

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#6 of 6 Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM

I usually get the nutiva, becuase of price. I have made some lovely 'power bites'/bonbon type things with nuts, shredded coconut, fruits, etc, 'Almond joy' bars, 'lara' type bars, etc But they do need to be refridgerated to stay more solid/less mushy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page