Alternative to Bio-Kult on GAPS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering if anyone has used a different probiotic than Bio-Kult on GAPS?  I am doing GAPS myself, to heal from multiple sclerosis.  I started kind-of a couple days ago, with the bone broths and well-cooked veggies and meat, mostly because I've also been the sickest I've been in awhile with a respitory bug thing, and thats all I feel like eating!

Today I'm going to start some sauerkraut and buy some lacto-fermented stuff to get my going from the health food store.

I have about 1/4 bottle of Dr. Ron's "friendly flora"--would that work?  I'd like to avoid magnesium sterate in my supplements.  

Prior to this, I've been eating a paleo-type diet with occasional cheats for a couple years now.

Thanks! =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone tried this probiotic?  http://organic3.com/gutpro/

I found it searching around...it is listed as GAPS and SCD compliant!

#3 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Have not tried it, but I say go for it. You may find in the end that you need the Biokult, but it will not hurt to start with a different brand while you learn the ropes.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#4 of 7 Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

So Bio-kult is more potent that the Gutpro probiotic?

#5 of 7 Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM

I understand that Biokult is the most potent on the market, but that does not mean that it is the correct probiotic for everyone winky.gif
Since you are working on healing something very serious, it may be the best route for you to go, but go with what your budget is going to allow for right now.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#6 of 7 Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM

My family uses GutPro. It is just as powerful as BioKult, but does not contain maltodextrin, which is a starch and is a concern for people like me who have a very sensitive child. I believe they may have some different strains. My advice is to use what works for you! Good probiotics are extremely expensive but ideally you'll only need to use them at the full dose for 6 months.

#7 of 7 Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Just to add a note, I have read that it's good to alternate brands/varieties, so you could get Bio Kult once, then get another like GutPro.  I have read, on cheeseslave's blog (I think) that Garden of Life Primal Defense is good, and less $. Capsules cannot be opened though (if you're giving to an infant also) - it's like a vitamin pill.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page