Anyone in the Olympia WA area interested in a Harsch-style fermentation crock? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is okay to put here. Mods, I'm happy to move or delete if it is not. I thought that it is such a specialized item that the folks at Traditional Foods might want a direct look...

I have a 10 liter Harsch-style fermentation crock that I need to find a home for. I've loved using it, but it is simply too big for my needs and I need to get the 5 liter size.

It is almost identical to the Harsch: water-seal lid, ceramic weights, etc... My friend has a Harsch, and I found this to be just as good, but a better price.

I bought it at Lehmans Non-Electric, and paid $130 for it including shipping and special freight.

I will sell it for $75 if there is local interest. So if you live within driving distance of Olympia WA and are interested, give me a PM! Sorry, I can't ship it.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Canning_and_Preserving___Crocks_and_Lids___German_Fermenting_Crocks___germanferment#03205032100321503220

"These crocks are handmade in Germany and then kiln-fired at 2200 degrees Fahrenheit. They are waterproof, food safe, and sanitary because the high temperature at which they are fired makes them very hard. Like any good ceramic, they are watertight with an impenetrable finish. The brown glaze is added for appearance, not to seal the crock. Because the glaze is hand-applied and the crocks are hand-thrown, there are often imperfections in the finish where the lighter tan of the ceramic shows through the dark brown glaze. These imperfections do not affect the performance."

User Tag List