Raw dairy farmer has colostrum - how should I use it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found an old thread here with an ethical objection to bovine colostrum, but I don't feel it's an issue in this case. I trust this farmer to make sure the calves are well supplied before providing any to others.

That said - does anyone have any advice on HOW to use it? "Doses" for adults and kids? Use during a common cold vs healthy people?

Thanks.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#2 of 3 Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Raw diary colostrum is normally loaded with bacteria, good and bad. This is not an important issue for the calves and the colostrum also carries antibodies that help establish immunity for diseases and pathogens the mother has come into contact with over her life. Bovine colostrum should be flash pasteurized and then dried at low temperatures to provide shelf life. The end product should be tested for the quality of its components so you know that it will be effective. About half of raw colostrum is very week in immunoglobulins, PRP peptides, and other factors that are critical for proper growth, immunity and prevention of infection. The best source of information on colostrum is available free at the Center for Nutritional Research and their web site at www.icnr.org

For more information feel free to contact me at doug@icnr.org

Douglas Wyatt, Director of colostrum research

#3 of 3 Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 PM

My husband has been taking it to heal his gut lining.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page